We are 205,978 members in 81 forums discussing 148,910 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: HER2+ (Positive) Breast Cancer → Topic: TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Topic: TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Forum: HER2+ (Positive) Breast Cancer —

Testing, treatment, side effects, and more.

Posted on: Jan 31, 2011 07:30AM - edited Dec 10, 2012 08:55AM by TonLee

TonLee wrote:

This is primarily for people who find themselves with THREE +'s by their diagnosis. 

If you are new to breast cancer, please click on the link below and read.  It is "What I Wish I Knew At the Beginning of Treatment."

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topic/797454

IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 4/4 nodes, ER+/PR+/HER2+, Skin Sparing uni-MX with TE, TCH, Rads Dx 9/14/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 1213 of 1,217 (36,496 results)

Posts 36361 - 36390 (36,496 total)

May 15, 2018 09:57PM deni1661 wrote:

suburbs - your infection is really a bear and I'm so sorry it is taking so long to heal. You have such a positive attitude and I pray you see healing well before the 14 month mark! It sounds like your doctor has you on a good regimen. I'm also allergic to almost all antibiotics so I can relate how tough it might be to find one that works. Feel better soon!

Elaine - I developed terrible pain in my tailbone while I was still in treatment last year. I sat for long periods when I was working and now that I don't sit all day my tailbone is much better. Even when I do sit for a long time the pain is no where near as bad as it was previously. I hope the summer break allows for less sitting so your back feels better soon.

kimcee - I am so very sorry to hear about your heart troubles and that you had to stop Herceptin. Sending hugs and prayers for healing, hang in there.

YYC - welcome to the group. This is truly a lifeline and everyone is so helpful adn supportive! It sounds like you are really on top of things and I applaud your preparedness to fight. Asking lots of questions is key and will help you greatly as you move forward!

Embrace - I am beyond shocked at what you have experienced. My heart goes out to you and I pray you find a resolution that brings you peace and restores your trust. I would find another medical team because I just wouldn't have faith in the current medical establishment where this happened. I'm not quick to complain but in this case I definitely think a discussion with management is necessary to ensure this doesn't happen to someone else. Moving forward, there is a big positive in that you can still get Herceptin and the treatment protocol is very promising. Sending hugs and prayers your way
Dx 7/25/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 9/6/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 9/7/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 9/7/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 4/27/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Surgery 5/9/2017 Reconstruction (left): Stacked DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 11/30/2017 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction

May 15, 2018 10:05PM deni1661 wrote:

specialk and suburbs - thanks for the pep talk on the LE. My PT is awesome and she is very hopeful that I will see improvement over time. I'm not a very patient person so I always need a reminder! I have to tell myself not to look at my arm every 5 minutes because to me, it looks like it is getting larger and larger when in reality the numbers are not really that bad. I wear sports bras with a wide side band that provide some compression but need to explore the compression tank too. This is another part of the cancer journey that I know will get better over time ;-)
Dx 7/25/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 9/6/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 9/7/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 9/7/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 4/27/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Surgery 5/9/2017 Reconstruction (left): Stacked DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 11/30/2017 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction

May 15, 2018 11:10PM tld2017 wrote:

Hi Ladies, I am just now paying attention to some numbers on my path report. I guess I don't really know what I am looking at though...

So maybe some of you might know if this is good or bad:

Estrogen receptors: positive for moderate nuclear staining in 90% of invasive tumor nuclei.

Progesterone receptors: positive for moderate to strong nuclear staining in 70-80% of invasive tumor nuclei.

Mib-1 proliferation index: 2-3% (this is the same thing as Ki67, right?)

Also, I just had my 2nd echo done last week and am looking at the results as compared to the one I had in early March before chemo started. The main thing that I see that is different is that it says that I now have mild TR with mild pulmonary hypertension (est PASP 36 mmHg). It also says borderline left atrial dilation, mild tricuspid regurgitation, and trace pulmonic regurgitation. The echo I had in early March was completely normal. I did not see this earlier today when I was getting my infusion or I would have asked the nurse about it. Does anyone know if this could be Herceptin-related or just possibly related to getting chemo in general? Should I be worried and if so, what should I do next?

KasiaK, so I guess this means that I am 90% ER positive and 70-80% PR positive. I really don't know what that means other than, of course, to know that I am triple positive because of the HER2+ diagnosis. I have no idea if this is good or bad because I have never discussed it with my oncologist.

I really wish that I had more knowledge regarding these things! :(

Dx 1/5/18, IDC, 1.3 cm, Stage 1, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+/HER2+, Lump & SNB 1/19/18, Chemo started 3/20/18, Treatment plan: 12 weekly treatments of Taxol/Herceptin/Perjeta, 6 wks of daily rads, 1 year of Herceptin/Perjeta

May 15, 2018 11:24PM HapB wrote:

tld, changes to the heart are probably from Herceptin. You should look at your baseline LVEF and compare it to the LVEF of the most recent echo. There is often a drop, but they get concerned when it is more than 10% in the beginning and will stop it or give you a break to see if it comes back up. They don’t want to see the LVEF (left ventrical ejection fraction) go below 50. Those numbers should be on your echo reports

May 15, 2018 11:32PM tld2017 wrote:

HapB, thank you for responding! LVEF in early March was 60-65% and as of last week, it is 55-60%. I still have about 10 months to go of receiving Herceptin but that is the miracle drug that I need for my HER2+ so it worries me that they might have to stop it. Should I be worried about those numbers dropping? Can I do anything to make it better?

Dx 1/5/18, IDC, 1.3 cm, Stage 1, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+/HER2+, Lump & SNB 1/19/18, Chemo started 3/20/18, Treatment plan: 12 weekly treatments of Taxol/Herceptin/Perjeta, 6 wks of daily rads, 1 year of Herceptin/Perjeta

May 15, 2018 11:46PM - edited May 17, 2018 12:20AM by HapB

tld, Of course I would respond. Don't panic! The answer to your question is that it depends on a lot of factors. Is your BP under control. Mine went really crazy with treatment. Are you over 60? There is a higher risk for us older women.

So, right now your LVEF has declined, but is still in normal range. The question is whether it will continue to decline with each infusion. Do you have symptoms?

Stay alert for shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, BP increases, dizziness, swelling of limbs.They should keep a close eye on you from here on in.

It is all about balancing risks. I have had horrible issues with Herceptin, as I have posted, but of course, nobody in treatment wants to hear bad news.

Here is a journal article about surveillance schedules while on Herceptin. I have read several studies, including some you can find on this BC.org website and heart issues are now thought to be more common than originally presented in the original study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5070558/

I have lots of other studies that can reassure you that some Herceptin still has a benefit if you have to stop.

May 16, 2018 12:17AM - edited May 16, 2018 12:17AM by SpecialK

tld - yes, MIB-1 is a proliferation indicator, and is interconnected to Ki67%, but I believe that 2-3% is low. For your ER and PR percentages, these are derived by the pathology slides.100 cells are counted and whatever number of that 100 showing a receptor is also counted - so if 80 of your 100 cells have an estrogen receptor you would be 80% ER+, same process for PR. Anti-hormonal therapy is thought to work more effectively for those who are highly ER+, and higher PR positivity is thought to signal somewhat less aggressive disease. Having a higher ER+ percentage also means that anti-hormonals may be an important part of your treatment. Can't help you as much on the echo results, other than to say that LVEF is a somewhat subjective measurement, since a human being is deciding where to place the measurements. Oncologists look for a 10 point, or a 10% drop since last LVEF, or a drop below 50. Some drop in LVEF is considered normal if it falls within the previous parameter.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

May 16, 2018 07:28AM coachvicky wrote:

tld2017

I believe we all react differently to some degree with our drugs to defeat cancer. What might easy for one is horrid for another.

My attempt handle Herceptin and any damage it did to my heart was to walk at least 6 times a week. I have mitral value prolapse and feared Herceptin's effect on it. Even when I felt like crap, I got on the treadmill and walked some amount.

I don't know if walking helped or not. My echo results, however, did increase with each test. My baseline was 62 increasing to 65, 67, and finally 69.

Best wishes, Vicky

Dx 6/2016, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 6/7/2016, LCIS/DCIS/IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 7/10/2016 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/20/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 8/22/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 1/19/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 2/21/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/3/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Targeted Therapy

May 16, 2018 08:46AM Ingerp wrote:

Just checking in to say hi. I returned from my youngest's college graduation last night. So many emotions this past weekend. I've been keeping up but not posting much. Some of you might remember I was scheduled to start #1 of T/H tomorrow but decided I wanted to do Fridays (to try to minimize SEs over the weekends), and I finally got a call from my MO's office (in an airport on my trip out!) that I was good to go, so I'll have #1 on 5/18. Welcome to the newbies, hang in there to everyone experiencing problems, and happiest of Wednesdays to all!!

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/18/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel)

May 16, 2018 09:08AM - edited May 16, 2018 09:09AM by HapB

Vicky, good for you that you were lucky not to have heart issues with Herceptin! I can assure you that the damage to the heart from this drug cannot be overcome with walking. Who knows why some hearts are effected and some are not. They do know that women over 60 are at much greater risk for heart damage and this risk remains for at least 3 years after treatment.

Before anyone on Herceptin starts an exercise regime, get clearance from the cardiologist on your case or the MO!

May 16, 2018 09:13AM HapB wrote:

Ingerp, congratulations on having your baby graduate from college and good luck Friday.

May 16, 2018 09:34AM - edited May 16, 2018 09:35AM by HapB

For anyone on Herceptin, this article and the articles on the link are from this website.

http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20111208b

May 16, 2018 10:57AM hapa wrote:

tld - mild regurgitation is pretty normal. I had reguritation on two of three valves that they checked on my echo but the tech said that it was very normal. So it may not have been mentioned on your first echo because it was considered normal, who knows. I don't know if herceptin would cause that or not but I haven't heard of that being an effect, only LVEF reduction. If you've quit or cut down exercising that could also explain your drop in LVEF, but if your doctor is concerned about it they would usually just hold treatment until your heart recovers, and then restart and keep a close eye on it. Most people, when caught early, do recover. LVEF reduction happens I've heard in up to 30% of patients but is only irreversible in a small fraction of that. If I were you I'd point this out to your MO and ask if you need to take a break in treatment for your heart to recover. Do you know if the same person looked at both echos? If not, it might be good to have one person look at both echos and compare them because the interpretation is pretty subjective.

Dx 12/8/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/14/2018 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx 3/20/2018, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 3/28/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 3/28/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 3/28/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

May 16, 2018 11:42AM - edited May 16, 2018 11:45AM by Ingerp

Thanks HapB!

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/18/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel)

May 16, 2018 12:38PM tld2017 wrote:

Thank you so much, ladies, for the advice on my PR and ER numbers and also the echo issues! I am grateful! I am hoping that my numbers are high enough with ER at 90% and PR at 70-80% so that the meds that the doctor will give me will help. I also left a message with my onc's office regarding the echo results and I'm hoping they respond soon and give me some reassurance.

Ingerp, the photo is awesome! Happy family! :)

Hapb, I am 52 so I'm hoping that the damage is not permanent!

Hapa, the same person did both echos and she was very thorough (I think), and super nice and reassured me that everything looked good to her so I was kind of surprised to the see the results. Maybe it is not as bad as I think it is? Looking forward to hearing from someone at the onc's office about it....

CoachVicky, I have definitely cut back on my exercising so I need to walk more for sure. I just have not been feeling that well and the fatigue hits me hard some days. No excuse though - I need to get my buns outdoors and walk before it gets to be a bazillion degrees and humid!

Thanks, SpecialK, for your words of wisdom - you need to be paid by this website because your words are priceless to so many of us! :) Grateful as always!

May 16, 2018 01:28PM - edited May 16, 2018 01:28PM by Lita19901

There are things you personally can do to improve your LVEF and aerobic exercise is one of them:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartFailure/DiagnosingHeartFailure/How-Can-I-Improve-My-Low-Ejection-Fraction_UCM_500831_Article.jsp#mainContent

Dx 6/24/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 7/20/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

May 16, 2018 04:16PM HapB wrote:

Lita, I don’t know if you did Herceptin, but the link you provided is NOT applicable to women whose heart is being effected by ongoing Herceptin infusions. Any exercise should be ok’d with the MO or cardiologist. When you are being treated with the drug Hercepitn, if your heart is being effected, which happens frequently, there is an ongoing decline as the drug stays in your system for weeks. The link you provided is for people who have generally low LVEF

May 16, 2018 04:17PM HapB wrote:

Ingerp, what a beautiful family you have and you look great! The campus looks lovely. Where is that?

May 16, 2018 04:59PM - edited May 16, 2018 05:00PM by HapB

This is the only study that I could find on the effect of exercise on Herceptin induced LVEF decline. There was no difference seen with well supervised exercise. This makes sense because chemically induced decline in LVEF is ongoing while in treatment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19622583

May 16, 2018 05:31PM - edited May 16, 2018 05:31PM by Lita19901

Hapb, of course exercise would wait until the patient is stable and the entirety of the damage can be determined. Not waiting would be equivalent to starting an exercise program in the midst of a heart attack.

Once the total damage has been established, insurance might pick up the cost of a cardio rehab program; Medicare, for example, will pay for a cardio rehab program if the LVEF is under 35.

Dx 6/24/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 7/20/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

May 16, 2018 05:33PM HapB wrote:

Lita, exactly. Also, LVEF is only one indicator of the heart damage, but there are others too.

May 16, 2018 09:16PM deni1661 wrote:

Ingerp - congrats on your son's graduation! You have a beautiful family, what a happy day. Will be thinking of you on Friday, hugs

May 16, 2018 09:21PM Ingerp wrote:

HapB—that’s the University of Montana.

Deni—thanks so much. Probably a good thing I haven’t had too much time to think about it this week.Already bought tickets to a movie tomorrow night—thought that might be a good distraction.

May 16, 2018 09:28PM HapB wrote:

Ingerp, the movie is a good idea. I hope it’s a comedy or something light.

May 17, 2018 12:03AM Blownaway wrote:

Even when I was in my 40's and doing Jazzercise and riding my bike, my normal LVEF was 56. Also back then, my cardiologist found that I have a left bundle branch block but did not indicate that either was a big concern.

After 7 herceptin infusions (in my late 50's), my LVEF had dropped to 35, I was severely short of breath, my lower legs were swollen and I had no stamina to ride my bike. I agree that anyone on herceptin with these symptoms should demand extra echos. Every 3 months just isn't enough for some people.

Dx 3/31/2014, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 5/12/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 6/2/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 7/2/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 7/2/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/6/2014 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/9/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Breast

May 17, 2018 12:12AM HapB wrote:

Hi Blownaway,

I have been doing quite a bit of reading studies and although most say the 12 month of Herceptin is preferable, the difference for early stage BC patients is slight and not statistically significant. So, take heart, you did as much as you could. I am in the same boat after 10 . It has been touch and go and very scary!

Here is one small study, but there have also been larger studies with similar results and if you read it, they note that 6 months of treatments may be advisable for some patients.

academic.oup.com/annonc/articl...

Blownaway, how long did it take your heart to recover? Are you still on the heart meds?

May 17, 2018 07:51AM Ingerp wrote:

HapB--I haven't seen the new Avengers yet but thought that was a bit too much of a time commitment at 2.5 hours. I'll save it for the next time I need a distraction. I'm going to see Tully (by the team who did Juno--loved that movie!)--it's only 1.5 hours. It's a little too early for hubs so he'll join me for dinner afterwards. Then home to bed to attempt to sleep. . .

May 17, 2018 09:04AM HapB wrote:

Ingerp, that sounds great. I liked Juno too. Sleep well tonight. Tomorrow you will be taking another step toward wellness and you will get through this with such a loving family there to help you! You will be in my prayers tomorrow!

May 17, 2018 09:17AM - edited May 17, 2018 09:45AM by moodyblues

Hey there ladies, I have completed my 12 week YMCA Live Strong program and I improved in all areas.  Even without any assessment scores, I can say I feel really good and EXCEPTIONALLY strong!

Back scratch test (left arm over head reaching down to scratch (touch) back WHILE right arm is reaching up back to scratch (touch) back.  It measures how close the hands can be brought together behind the back)                                                                                         2/23/18    -2 inches (right),            -15 inches (left).                                                                                                                                       05/14/18  Fingers touched!! (right), -2 (left).

Arm reach (stand with arm out & no reaching) 2/23/18  24.5 inches.  Reaching out bending slightly at waist 12.5 inches                                                                                                   5/14/18  27 inches.     41 inches.

Balancing on one foot for 1 minute I was able to do both dates at 100 %

6 minute walk test- It measures the distance that a patient can walk on a flat, hard surface in a period of 6minutes.                         2/23/18    470 meters        5/14/18    585 meters  Sounds like a lot but, it really isn't.  On the second date they didn't tell me to NOT work out before the test and I already had 45 minutes on the treadmill. :(

Leg press      2/23/18    75 lbs.        5/14/18    125 lbs.

Chest press  2/23/18    30 lbs.        5/14/18      40 lbs.  Right arm is ALOT stronger but, they have to measure with both arms (of course).  I was/am intimidated to push with left arm too much without approval of a PT who is licensed to work with cancer patients (mastectomy etc)., my trainer is an NSM only.

My heart rate, stamina, strength etc has improved.  I feel good!  I encourage anyone who has the opportunity, to call the YMCA and ask about the Live Strong program.

Dx 2/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 3/31/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

May 17, 2018 09:22AM HapB wrote:

moody, that is really great! I signed up twice and doctors will not give me clearance yet. We have a beautiful Y a few miles away and I hope I can get into the next set of classes!

Page 1213 of 1,217 (36,496 results)