Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Herceptin only every 3 weeeks

Options
hahlyn
hahlyn Member Posts: 128

Hello

I just completed 6 treatments of TCHP on Jan 4. I'm going to start herceptin only every 3 weeks until September. Is there anyone else on this regimen or anyone that has gone thru it. Just want to know how everyone faired with this phase of the treatment.

Thanks

Hahlyn

Comments

• MLMSC
    MLMSC Member Posts: 31
    Options

I had 12 weekly taxol and Herceptin infusions in mid November and have Herceptin every three weeks till September 2017. Had 2 Herceptin so far . Should be an interesting week as I have both the Herceptin and radiation this week. I have 16 sessions of accelerated radiation.

The Herceptin only has been easy so far. Hope it is the same for you.

M

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    Options

Hahlyn - I did TCHP every 3 weeks, and after surgery did Herceptin every 3 weeks for the rest of the year. I'd guess that most women who had neo-adjuvent therapy followed that protocol. There are actually a couple of threads about this - probably under the HER2+ category.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    Options

Hahlyn - sorry, I didn't complete an answer to your questions. I insisted that the Herceptin be given over a full 60 minutes so didn't have too many complications. I also insisted on a bag of saline first since I was so dehydrated from the Big D during chemo. I didn't have any problems as long as the infusion was slow.

• xxyzed
    xxyzed Member Posts: 39
    Options

I'm having herceptin every 3 weeks. The infusion is fine. Side effects from the herceptin seem to be a sore lower back, runny nose and loose bowels. Everything clears before the next infusion.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,221
    Options

All of us on the Triple Positive thread linked below have had treatment with Herceptin for the balance of the year after the chemo portion was finished. Here is a link to that thread:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/80/topics/764183?page=998#idx_29920

I had a runny nose, and toward the end, with a couple of infusions remaining, I developed a constant low grade headache. Both of these symptoms disappeared after the last infusion. I also struggled with loose bowels and once chemo was done one of the onc nurses suggested using a probitotic - made all the difference! Another issue I did have was that during chemo my Herceptin was run over 90 minutes, and once I was having it by itself they sped the infusion up to 30 minutes - which is still within proper infusion guidelines. After the first 30 minute infusion I developed pretty severe leg/hip pain - which I never had during any of the previous 6 infusions even with chemo. I asked to slow the infusion back to 90 minutes for all remaining infusions, and had no further issues. Anyone on the TP thread will be happy answer any questions you may have, even if you are not TP.

• hahlyn
    hahlyn Member Posts: 128
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping for thr best I just couldn't fathom the same SE I have now going forward with only herceptin.