Join Us

We are 220,437 members in 84 forums discussing 161,930 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: DCIS 5 years ago, red, hot, swollen reconstructed breast

Forum: IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer) —

Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for IBC. Posting pictures of symptoms is prohibited per our Community Rules -- you are encouraged to seek medical advice from your doctor in the event of any concerns.

Posted on: Mar 29, 2018 05:21PM

romyles wrote:

Tuesday my right breast started itching on the bottom and outside. 2 hours later I looked and it was red in a small area and by the next morning the entire breast was red, hot, and swollen. I saw the nurse practitioner at the breast surgeon and had an ultrasound that shows fluid. They told me mastitis which I wasn't sold on but said ok I'll go with this and take the meds. After getting home and having time to think and research it just doesn't add up that I'd have that much breast tissue to get this inflamed. After talking to my sister, a triple negative survivor I decided to call back this morning. They already had a new plan for me...more antibiotic and see plastic surgeon. It's a holiday week so getting in anywhere isn't easy. My concern is inflammatory breast cancer or lymphoma from the implant. I'm in wait mode and am sorry that I'm posting in an area before diagnosis but I'm already a survivor of another. My daughter has cutaneous T cell lymphoma which is in the same catagoras the lymphoma caused by implants. I'm just looking for guidance and should I be more aggressive holiday weekend or not??

Dx 8/29/2013, DCIS, 5cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes Surgery 9/26/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Jun 10, 2020 08:13AM 2FUN wrote:

can u tell me what happened? I am having the same problem!

Hormonal Therapy Surgery

Jun 10, 2020 11:46AM prepmom wrote:

2Fun- I’m not the OP but recently had a similar experience so I thought I’d share. I’m 7 months out from implant reconstruction. No issues until about 5 weeks ago. My breast got very pink and very swollen. No fever but I was so tired. Called PS and was put on Keflex for 10 days for infection. US a few days later showed mild fluid. Keflex started working after a few days- first redness went away then swelling began to subside.
Met with PS 3 weeks ago & he said that if infection returns (within 4-6 weeks) he’ll have to remove implant and clean out the site. May or may not be able to replace implant immediately. If not, implant will be replaced after 6 weeks.
So tomorrow will be 4 weeks off Keflex. No signs of infection. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I hope this is helpful & you’re feeling better soon.

Dx 5/24/2019, LCIS/DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 8/14/2019 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 11/4/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Jun 10, 2020 04:12PM MinusTwo wrote:

2FUN - I'd make an appointment with your dermatologist.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 17, 2020 10:21PM LillyIsHere wrote:

Prepmom, I am having the same issue today. I had breast reconstruction this January and last night, after 5 months, low grade fever. Today, I noticed one side of the breast is swollen, red and hot. I feel very tired. I just emailed the PS. When I had TS in this side of the breast I had the same problem that antibiotic did solve temporary.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2019 Femara (letrozole)

Jun 17, 2020 11:09PM sbelizabeth wrote:

I had recurring cellulitis in the skin of my chest wall, both after the mastectomy and after the delayed DIEP. I think a port flush seeded my system with bacteria that took a lot of rounds of antibiotics, both oral and IV, to resolve. Every time it happened the skin of my breast got red and hot, and I was feverish and miserable. Talk to your plastic surgeon, who may need to admit you for IV bug killers. I'd bet the farm it's bacteria, not IBC.

pinkribbonandwheels.wordpress.... Dx 10/20/2011, IDC/IBC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/15/2011 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/18/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/21/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2012 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/15/2013 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Jun 18, 2020 08:09PM MinusTwo wrote:

Seconding what sbelizabeth says. But don't fool around and wait. Infections & cellulitis are serious.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 19, 2020 12:08AM LillyIsHere wrote:

My PS started me in 3 antibiotics today and he wants to see me this coming Monday. I have no more fever but the red, swollen breast is still the same. Do you ladies recommend anything I can do during this time?

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2019 Femara (letrozole)

Jun 19, 2020 09:01AM prepmom wrote:

Lilly- I’m glad to hear you’ve begun antibiotics. It took about 24 hours for the redness to diminish. Swelling took a lot longer. I’d say it took almost a week for the swelling to really subside.
Wishing you a speedy & complete recovery from this.

Dx 5/24/2019, LCIS/DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 8/14/2019 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 11/4/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Jun 19, 2020 11:40AM LillyIsHere wrote:

Thank you prepmom. PS called today all concern and told me to cancel dentist cleaning I have next week. I greatly appreciate you all sharing your experiences. Hugs :)

Aug 18, 2020 06:39AM Eigna wrote:

Hello ladies- I was diagnosed yesterday with breast cellulitis over the phone and with me sending pics of my breast. I never thought I would be doing this. I started antibiotics yesterday evening. It’s not even 24 hours but I am anxious for the redness to go away. I just hope they diagnosed me proper and it’s not IBC. I have a part of my breast that has the appearance of an orange peel but nurse says that swelling sometimes does that. I do feel a bit less swollen this morning but redness is still there

Diagnosed at 43. Weakly ER+ Dx 8/20/2019, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/10/2019 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 12/17/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 3/31/2020 Whole-breast: Breast

Aug 18, 2020 10:36AM MinusTwo wrote:

Eigna - as I posted to you on another thread - please get an appointment with a trained, certified lymphadema therapist. Don't put it off.

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)