We are 160,315 members in 80 forums discussing 126,501 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy → Topic: Mastectomy Weight Loss Question

Topic: Mastectomy Weight Loss Question

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: Mar 9, 2014 10:12PM

cdelv66 wrote:

• Hi all.  I'm new here and there are so many posts to scan through, so not sure where to start.  I was diagnosed with DCIS at the end of January and have gone through 2 lumpectomies since.  Yesterday, I received the call from the surgeon that there was more DCIS and a larger amount in the 2nd lumpectomy site than the first one, so she is recommending mastectomy with reconstruction.  I told her I wasn't thinking of doing reconstruction and she started telling me all the pro's for it.  Well, when I have my appt this week to discuss it further, I am going to tell her that I'm not interested.  (Sorry for the rambling).  My strange question is related to weight loss from having a bilateral mastectomy.  I have very large breasts - 36/38 J's.  Does anyone know how much these massive mounds weigh?
"A strong woman knows she has strength enough for the journey, but a woman of strength knows it is in the journey where she will become strong." ~ Unknown Dx 1/24/2014, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/4/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 4/3/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Mar 10, 2014 01:07AM Monis wrote:

Well, I had 40DDD, and if I remember correctly, my surgeon said the removed breast tissue weighed approximately 2 1/2 lbs. (1 breast).  I would have thought it would have been more than that. 

Monica --- Age 46 @ DX. Oncotype DX : 8 Dx 10/21/2013, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/8/2013 Mastectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 12/12/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 2/11/2014 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Surgery 7/29/2014 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction

Mar 10, 2014 01:29AM Ariom wrote:

Hi Cdelv, Sorry you have to be here and that you're facing more surgery. There seem to be a lot of stories here of Surgeons who expect, or just assume, that everyone is going to want to reconstruct.

I have been here, on this board for about 15 months since my surgery. I never considered having reconstruction, my surgeon had no issue with that, pointing out if I ever changed my mind, the door wasn't closed. I have absolutely no regrets and can't ever see me wanting to reconstruct later.

I have noticed a lot more women opting out of reconstruction, some even deconstructing after disappointment in their reconstruction result, or due to infections. 

All I can say to you, is do what feels right for you. It is a big decision, as all things related to this are, but don't be swayed by anyone else and what they think is right for you.   

I can't answer you specifically to the amount your breasts will weigh but as an indication, I had a Unilateral Mx with out recon and my final Pathology report said my breast weighed 975gm. I wear a 38D bra.

I wish you all the best, please let us know how you get on!

Dx Mondors Disease (cording) after Umx and "Dog Ear" removed 14 months post UMx .................. The Dx shuffles you like a deck of cards and then deals you a new hand! Dx 11/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes Surgery 12/18/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Right

Mar 10, 2014 01:41AM cdelv66 wrote:

Thank you Monis & Ariom.  Yes, I would have expected them to weigh a little more than that, but I guess it doesn't really matter.  I'm still at the overwhelming stage, but know that once I finish my research & trust my instincts, then I will be able to move forward with confidence and no regrets.

"A strong woman knows she has strength enough for the journey, but a woman of strength knows it is in the journey where she will become strong." ~ Unknown Dx 1/24/2014, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/4/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 4/3/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Mar 10, 2014 03:53AM Momine wrote:

Cdelv, lol, my path report listed the weight, and I know exactly what you mean. It was the first thing I asked my doc, when we decided on BMX. 

Mine were just a modest B and weighed about a pound each.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 10, 2014 07:52PM cdelv66 wrote:

Thank you all for your input.  I have an appt with my BS on Thursday afternoon and the office called me today to schedule my consult with the PS earlier in the same day.  I mentioned I wasn't interested in reconstruction, but they suggest getting all the information first before making a decision.  I spent the day typing all of my questions for both and talking with my loving and supportive DH.  I'll be happy when all the appointments & surgeries are done so I can get back into a routine!!!

So, that's a no for a 15-20 lb weight loss? … Lol :)

Mar 10, 2014 09:21PM mary625 wrote:

Ha, ha.  To get that kind of weight loss, you'd have to give birth!  The most I've ever heard of a breast weighing was 4 pounds each...this info from a bunch of women at a survivors group.

Dx 8/29/2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 10/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/26/2011 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/6/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary, Left Hormonal Therapy 3/12/2012 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/13/2012 Surgery 9/24/2014 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Mar 10, 2014 09:34PM GeorgiaRai wrote:

So, that's a no for a 15-20 lb weight loss?

Which is SO not fair!  I got silicone implants (for cosmetic reasons) over 20 years ago, and attribute ALL subsequent weight gain to them.  In a perfect world, my BMX should have at least got me back to my pre-implant weight at age 29!

Seriously, best of luck to you, cdelv, and YAY for standing up for your non-recon decision.  It's a shame so many of us feel like we have to justify it to our doctors.  My PS and BS both came around by the time I had my surgery, and hopefully, next time they hear those words from a patient, their jaws won't hit the floor. 

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" ~ Christopher Robin Dx 11/21/2011, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 8/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/17/2012 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 6/28/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 8/10/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/15/2012

Mar 29, 2014 04:25AM scribblinhanna wrote:

Mine were just a tad smaller than you and mine weighed a little over 5lbs each..nothing better than taking a nap and when you wake up you are almost 11lbs lighter.  My shoulders and back can not thank me enough.  Actually had to relearn my posture.  Good luck

Chemotherapy 7/1/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Daunorubicin (Cerubidine, DaunoXome) Targeted Therapy 9/3/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 11/19/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary, Right Dx IDC, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Dx ER-, HER2+ Dx 6cm+ Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel)

Mar 29, 2014 02:08PM cdelv66 wrote:

Thanks, Scribb...I was wondering if I would have to change my posture :)  10 lbs would be good!  Surgery is on Thursday :)