Join Us

We are 217,583 members in 84 forums discussing 160,638 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: How long should I wait before fitting for prosthes

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: May 18, 2007 09:01PM

gshoemate wrote:

Hi all, I am almost 10 days after surgery and was wondering how long I should wait to be fitted? We are taking a cruise the second week of June before chemo starts and I think I would relax alot more if I had a prosthesis. My surgeon says I am healing good and there is no swelling so I'm not sure if there is any other reason to wait.

Thanks
Ginger Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

May 19, 2007 07:59AM caaclark wrote:

I think it was about 4 weeks for me. I don't remember exactly but I did go see the fitter about 2 weeks after surgery and she told me when to come back.

Carol Clark- Author of WHEN OUR MOM HAD CANCER Diag.1/06 at age 40, 1.6cm, 6+nodes, stage IIIa, er/pr+, her2-, chemo, mast. rads, no recon

May 20, 2007 05:36AM tos wrote:

Ginger you might call and ask your surgeon if it is ok to be fitted or like Carol said, see a fitter and see what they say.
With my insurance I have to have a prescription signed by my doctor to order when the time comes for me, you might check into that also.
I'm 5 wks out from my bilateral and having a few problems so it will be awhile for me to be fitted. So I bought a inexpensive pocketed front closing sports bra from TLC and use the puffie things I call them, just did it yesterday for the first time and it felt great. If you don't have the soft puffie things, they have those also. It's a thought if you have to wait anyway.
Best of luck to you and have a wonderful cruise, it sounds dreamy!

Hugs, Pam

May 20, 2007 06:07AM mellen1226 wrote:

I will be 2 weeks out on Monday and my surgeon is having me fitted on Tuesday. I have healed well and she (as well as me) thinks it is important to get fitted and comfortable as soon as possible. I would make sure and talk to the surgeon to make sure all is well. I hope you are doing well and recovering quickly.

May 22, 2007 06:06AM msmimi wrote:

No rush for me. Five months since surgery and I just got fitted. After the bilateral, the incisions were extremely sensitive, plus I had swelling. I have been wearing a cami with foam forms, but now that it's getting hot I'm ready to have a bra.

May 22, 2007 08:43AM nagem wrote:

I was told to wait at least 6 weeks, and it turned out to be good advice because even though my initial healing was rapid and I was eager to move on and get the prostheses, I developed weird rashes and a "leak" on the scar line of my irradiated side a few weeks into the recovery. All turned out fine, but I think it was good to wait until it was entirely healed. In fact, even though I now have a couple of pairs of top-of-the-line expensive prostheses, I find that I rarely wear anything at all and if I do I often opt for a couple of handmade ones (pattern on this site) or other soft fluff-filled ones because they're cooler and lighter.

nagem (underthestinkwoodtree.blogspot...) Dx 9/23/2005, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/13 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 22, 2007 02:12PM Raye99 wrote:

It was about 4 weeks for me. I was able to be fitted once the fluid quit building up and the bs didn't have to aspirate that fluid any longer. In the meantime, I wore TIGHT camis - I am an A cup so I was trying to flatten the other boob - something I wouldn't have imagined wanting to do in the past! Tight camis and loose fitting button up shirts.

Have a great time on your cruise.
Raye
Dx 7/14/2006, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)