Join Us

We are 217,582 members in 84 forums discussing 160,638 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Lymph. question

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: May 21, 2007 05:12AM

wallycat wrote:

I also posted this on the Lymph. portion of the board and thought I'd cross post.
Is lymphed. usually caused only by lymph node removal? If I have a proph. mastectomy on my "good" side, does the mastec. itself predispose me to lymph. issues?
I appreciate all answers.
Thank you!!
Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

May 21, 2007 05:57AM Erica wrote:

A mastectomy doesn't exactly "predispose" you to lymphedema, but it does increase your risk slightly. If you have other factors that might predispose you (I think being overweight is one, and some people just have genetic predisposition), then even a mastectomy could cause problems. But it's my impression that this is rare.

I hope Binney will come on and answer as she's the resident expert!
BreastFree.org (breastfree.org); BreastFree Blog (breastfree.blogspot.com); Twitter @BreastFree

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)