Join Us

We are 217,583 members in 84 forums discussing 160,638 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Breast prosthesis vs Breast form???

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: May 30, 2007 02:39PM

gshoemate wrote:

Is there a differance? I called a medical supply to get the ball rolling on getting fitted and she said that my insurance company usually covers 1 breast prosthesis every 2 years and a breast form every 6 months. But I thought they were the same thing. What am I misunderstaning?

Thanks
Ginger Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

May 30, 2007 04:24PM Erica wrote:

Hmmm . . . I never heard that distinction. I've had the impression that "breast form" is just a less clinical-sounding way of saying "breast prosthesis." Hope someone else will know the answer.

BreastFree.org (breastfree.org); BreastFree Blog (breastfree.blogspot.com); Twitter @BreastFree

May 30, 2007 04:39PM starzhere wrote:

I agree with Barbara. My fitter calls them breast forms. I don't see a difference.

Dx 10/31/1989, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/12 nodes, ER-/PR-

May 30, 2007 06:22PM cheryl58 wrote:

Hi Ginger: The only thing I can think of is maybe breast forms are the foam or lightweight "forms" and the breast prosthesis is the silicone-filled.

May 30, 2007 07:01PM The_Cyber_Cat wrote:

No insurance company would pay for a silicone filled prothesis every 6 months. Sure it wasn't breast bra every 6 months? My insurance will pay for 6 bra's a year.

And if a 'breast form' is just a foam cup - hollowed out - can't imagine what use it would be. No weight to stay in place. Maybe they are for partial masectomy's????

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)