Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast Prosthesis - allergy to latex and adhesives

Options

Hi everyone:

After almost 4 years, I've decided to get a prosthesis.  I've been looking around on the web and am pleasantly surprised at how much choice there is now than 4 years ago.  I was 38 when first diagnosed and was shocked at how ugly the bras were and how heavy the prostheses felt (I'm a 36B) when I first looked around.  This was part of the reason I decided against getting one.

In the past couple of years, I've really developed an allergy to latex and adhesives.  I'm wondering if this will affect me in the purchase of a new prosthesis.  I've been reading about the new ones that "stick" (which I assume uses some kind of adhesive) and wonder also if the silicone prosthesis have any latex in them.  If you have similar allergies and have noticed any reactions, I'd appreciate your advice.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Also, if anyone knows of a good fitter in the Greater Toronto Area, I would greatly appreciate it.  It seems to me that a proper fit is essential.

Cheryl.

Comments

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi Cheryl,

I don't know about the adhesives in the contact forms, but a fitter could probably answer that question. Also, several women here use them, so they may be along later to answer your question.

I don't know if you've seen my website yet: BreastFree.org. I have a section on breast forms and describe various options that have worked well for other women. I know that some of the unweighted non-silicone forms, including the Amoena leisure form, Style 126, which I mention on my site, are made of latex. However, the latex is totally covered by fabric. I don't know if that would still be a problem for you. As far as I know, most of the silicone forms are covered with a thin film of polyurethane, so that shouldn't present difficulties for you. And another type of silicone form which I mention on my site (Airway Tritex Triangle) has a soft microfiber fabric backing (to keep you cool). I imagine that form would also work.

Good luck! 

Barbara

• purplemb
    purplemb Member Posts: 593
    edited February 2008
    Options

you can also try the knitted ones..good luck..

MB

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited February 2008
    Options

Cheryl, I'll be interested in the answer to your question. I am not allergic to latex, but I have an easy-to-aggravate sensitivity to most adhesives, including nearly all the sticky stuff they use on medical tapes. Only the best-quality bandaids work for me, and even those leave a pink mark after half a day. The cheap-o ones cause a rash within an hour or two. That's why I've pretty much ruled out any of the stick-on prostheses (pl?) or maybe even ones that are in direct contact with my skin.

I'll be watching for answers. Thanks!

otter

• ChrissyMH
    ChrissyMH Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Cheryl,

I bought ameona prosthetic breasts after the required several-month wait following my bilateral. They are fabulous except: it's how I learned of my latex/adhesive allergy. I wore them on a hot summer day and almost lost my mind with the itching ... which didn't resolve for days. They were expensive. I am going to call to see if they make anything as realistic and high-quality but from different materials.

• Yogalady333
    Yogalady333 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi Cheryl,

Took me a while to find a prosthesis that was light and comfortable--the Amoena Natura 400 Xtra light seemed perfect, that is until I wore it.

Got a really bad bright red skin reaction--did not itch but the area felt sore.

Have had a hard time getting Amoena to cooperate with the allergist's office but am going to be tested with samples to determine exactly what caused

such a reaction. In the meantime just wearing an inexpensive foam leisure form which looks great in clothes, is very light but doesn't have that spongy

feel that a real prosthesis does that mimics the feeling of a real breast.

• amygil81
    amygil81 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2017
    Options

Cheryl, I've been really happy with my Knitted Knocker. It breathes, so I find it more comfortable than silicone. I put a smooth beach stone in it for some weight. They're cheap and easy, so you might as well try one to see how it does for you.