Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

I was thinking (I know - scary isn't it) that it might be fun to have a thread on all things bras and forms.  Breastfree has wonderful things that I view as tried and true, the ones that have been tested and can be recommended. 

What I am thinking about here is more like a beta testing of all the other stuff that is not on Breastfree or maybe even more detail about what is.  The good, the bad, and the ugly. The fine detail stuff like runs big or runs small.  Maybe just need someone to measure a certain size/brand for those that are trying to order online without actually seeing it. For instance, how much does a certain weighted foam form of a certain size actually weigh.  Do things hold up, fall apart?  Alot of things that we might toss around amongst ourselves.  I know I asked someone to please measure an Amoena form in the same size as my ABC just to give me an idea of the differences between the two companies.  I found the information very helpful.

Barbara's Breastfree.org site is such a wonderful resource. It is certainly one of my favorite Bookmarks and I find myself going back all the time to revisit the info.  My point with this thread is to perhaps go into more detail than would be practical on her site and to address other things that are not on her site.  I did touch base with Barbara before starting this thread and if she finds some of our experiences helpful, they may find their way into the reviews on Breastfree. 

So a couple of examples of what I am talking about.  When I was considering purchasing Weighted Asymmetrical foam forms from TLCDirect

http://www.tlcdirect.org/products/sku-7917__dept-34.html

I wanted to know how much weight is "weighted".  Turns out a weighted asym in a size 4 is 4½ oz.

I questioned what is the difference in footprint between an Amoena and an ABC form in silicone in a size 4 or 5.  Turns out the ABC is just a bit (¼"?) taller but the Amoena is about ½" wider at the base.

I bought a Classique style #769 locally.  This is a bra that is reviewed on Breastfree.  Discovered that my ABC 1042 size 4 forms are too tall (height not projection) for a 36A bra, which would be the normal size for this size form, and had to go up to a 36B in that bra.

I took a chance and ordered a Cool Comfort Mastectomy Bra #8193 from TLC Direct.

http://www.tlcdirect.org/products/sku-8193__dept-14.html

Mine is 36A and I find it to be really comfortable.  It is very stretchy and pretty reminiscent of the Genie's in that respect, only with a back closure and adjustable straps.  I like the Genie but I like this better. Has a 3 hook back closure which was a plus for me.  I need a little more width on the side without going too high and found this one hit the right note.  The height at the middle of the underarm is 4¼".   The cups run large.  Because it is so stretchy, it does make me question whether you would have enough support in the larger cup sizes.

So that should give you an idea of where I am thinking about taking this thread.  If you need measurements or have other questions, I am hoping we will help each other get the answers.  I am way too new to this stuff to be of much help from a review standpoint but am always happy to measure or weigh anything I have.

Barbara

Comments

• sewingnut
    sewingnut Member Posts: 475
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thanks for starting this thread. I am wondering if there are bras out there with thinner straps that won't rub on my port. The fitter I went to had no luck and wanted to put me in these big old clunky bras with wide straps.

• Cats134
    Cats134 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    Options

I've been looking thru various sites at various bras and foobs trying to decide which ones to try when my chest heals.  My question is what is the difference between a regular bra and a mastectomy bra other than the pocket? 

Cats

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2012
    Options

I love these Coobie bras.  They are inexpensive, the straps are extremely thin and they actually have pockets so you can add a form.  They also have a removable lightweight pad.

http://www.shopcoobie.com/

Extremely comfortable but not for everyone as they are a "one size fits all" that never really fits all!  I have five of them in different colors, which is another nice thing about them.

Cats - my opinion...the only difference between the regular and mastectomy bras is that they are expensive and not pretty.  I have a small frame and the fitter had nothing that really fit me well except for bras that were overly structured with big fat straps.  Hated them!

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited January 2012
    Options

I think this thread is much needed, I have wasted money on both bras and forms, and can't afford to be doing this now...So much of this is trial and error. I tried an Ahhh bra and found it looked horrible, I had rolls and buldges everywhere and fortunately I could return them.

I would love to try the coobie, but isn't it for smaller women?

BTW Jo Ann fabrics sells whole breasts for $20 for the pair. Clear-cloudy looking gel? They are in the place where the shoulder pads for sewing would be. I didn't buy them because is seems to me it would be one more thing to lay around...but I may go back and get them.

Barbara, thanks for starting this thread, I am going to order the bra you suggest. Are you wearing silicon or the microbeads with that bra?

denise

• Starak
    Starak Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2012
    Options

LuvRVing:  This Classique #769 bra is reviewed on Breastfree and is mentioned in my initial post.  The photo makes you think this is a substantial bra but it really isn't at all. If I had not checked the style #, I would never have guessed that the picture went with my bra.  It is very stretchy and forgiving.  For reference, though I am in good weight, I have a larger frame and it doesn't feel like enough bra for me. I would think it might be a possibility for those of you with a smaller frame.  On the other hand, I am guessing it would not have enough support for the larger cup sizes.  It seems to be a popular bra and I found mine locally.  This is the bra that I had to go up in cup size due to the height of my ABC form.

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/classique769.html

Barbara

• christina1961
    christina1961 Member Posts: 450
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thank you for starting this topic.  I have a problem with my bra shifting to the right when I wear my  prosthesis (still have a breast on that side) and I'm worried about being active this spring and summer.  I haven't gotten a bathing suit yet but have heard good things about Land's End. 

Cats, I think the only difference is the pocket plus most of the mastectomy bras come up high enough to give more coverage.  I haven't found a real comfortable one yet, though and have cut holes in my old bras to stick the prosthesis in.  I wear the mastectomy bras most of the time, though.

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Denise, Hold off for today.  I am in the midst of trying some things and want to have better info for you before responding.

Barbara

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Denise, Okay, here you go.  Go back and look at my original post.  I have a size 36A in the TLC bra.  The cup size for the TLC size 4 weighted asym foam forms was good. I think the cup size for my ABC 1042 size 4 silicone forms is too large which means the cup sizes are running big. I tried an ABC 1042 size 5 in my 36A and it seems to be a good fit.  When I said it was stretchy, I find it to be an even softer easier stretch than the Genie or Ahh. 

I have never even tried on microbeads so no help on that front.

Barbara

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Just had to note that sometimes it is all about perspective.  Because I was sooo huge for so many decades before BMX, a 40M (needed a 40N or 40O), mastectomy bras seem so small, flimsy and relatively inexpensive, by comparison.  For me, it is too cool to be able to find more than just one bra in the world that actually fits me.  That said, I have tried on more mastectomy bras than I want to think about and most have ended up on the discard heap.

Barbara 

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2012
    Options

I bought the microbead forms and don't like them.  They just don't look natural to me once they are inserted in the pockets and they are hard to insert because they are so pliable.  So far the "chicken cutlets" work best for me.  I'm having recon later this summer, so I am looking for reasonable interim solutions.

I bought a couple of mastectomy swimsuits from Lands End.  They have several in the Overstock area at very reasonable prices (under $25).  They will work well for my trip to Florida next month and didn't break the bank.

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

I am thinking about ordering these two bras and wondered if anyone has them and can comment?

Classique Scalloped Lace #779 in either Burgundy overlay or the Black overlay.  Seems decadent to me. LOL

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/classique779.html

or this TLC Lace Accent in Navy (I "think" this is the same bra as a Nearly Me Lace Bandeau #600).

http://www.tlcdirect.org/products/sku-7288__dept-14.html

Barbara

• crystalphm
    edited January 2012
    Options

I have looked at the burgundy bra a million times now, it looks like something I could love, but I am so cautious because I have wasted too much money.

Speaking of all of this, when we order bras online, can we still send the information to our insurance companies for some insurance coverage?

Luv, the microbead forms are different, that is for sure, and probably don't look so natural, but I can't beat them for comfort. I can wear them for  hours and still feel ok. Silicon hurts, the weight hurts. The pressure hurts. but I have learend to dress to sorta disguise my chest area, so perfection is not needed under my jewelry and scarves...

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Denise, I am no expert on the insurance issue but I would think the online provider would have to be in-network for you.  I have a new insurance provider this year and they have provided info to me that for instance Amoena and Nordstrom are national in-network providers.  I would call your Insurance Customer Service line for direction as every plan is different. With my high deductible, unless something really bad happens, it is all out-of-pocket to me anyway.  I do gather that if you have an FSA - Flex Savings Account that is on a debit card, you can use that for IRS approved expenses by having it run as a credit card.  If you have an FSA, you would need to contact the administrator for details and do keep good records in case you have to prove anything later to the IRS.

Barbara 

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Denise: I could not even think the thought of anything on my chest other than just the very softest material imaginable for many many months if not a year.  It was just too sensitive.  Makes me wonder if silicone is causing you so much grief because your body just isn't quite ready yet.  I know comfort trumps most everything else in my world. 

Like you say, with scarves, jewelry, etc. I cannot imagine that anyone would notice any lack of perfection with the microbeads.  No one should be that focused on your chest anyway and if they are you have my permission to smack 'em, followed by a "my eyes are up here".   

Barbara

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

I have typed this out twice and lost it twice.  What a dweeb!!

I have been thinking alot about your dilemmas.  Even though I likely cannot help you there are so many here that have been through it that I expect others will.

I think if you can give more info on the size and style of your forms and/or bras, and whether you are unilateral or bilateral, it would help when offering advice.  A solution for a 32AA is likely to be vastly different from a 42G.  Also the construction of bras usually seems to change with the band and cup size and that could also factor in as to what might help.

Sewingnut, rather than focusing totally on the width of the strap, also look at the placement. Some bra straps hug the side of the chest and that may be enough to get the straps away from your port.  I have a bra like I am describing that is really open in the chest, even more open than the pic would suggest.  The model has 4 hooks on the front closure.  My A cup is only 3 hooks.  It is so low on me that it is the only bra that shows my dog ear removal scars.

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/abc107.html

This particular bra is discontinued but if it looked like a possibility, perhaps you could call their fitters and see if they can suggest something similar.  In my searching around online for bras, I have noticed other bras that hug the sides. 

Christina, Hopefully by bumping this thread up a bit, someone will notice and have a solution for your shifting problem. 

Cats, So in looking around is anything catching your eye as a possibility?

Barbara

• Cats134
    Cats134 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    Options

I hate bras.  Hated wearing them when I had breasts, it was the first thing that came off when I got home (did that nifty little trick of sliding my arms out, unhooking, and pulling my bra out of my shirt).  I did buy a Bali Barely There bra (sport like) which is very soft and comfortable, but I'm not sure if it will hold a prosthesis.  The Ahhh bra comes with a pocket now but that bra tends to ride up on me.

I think when I'm healed, I will go to a mastectomy boutique and just look, feel, and try on (and probably go without most of the time lol!)

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Cats, The Ahh I can buy locally does not have pockets but the Genie does though you need to open up the rest of the side opening and add a couple of tack stitches at the ends of the horizontal lines in the center to keep the forms from drifting to the middle.  Two tack stitches evenly placed on each side seems to do the trick.  I had the ride up problem with my size (besides feeling way too tight) according to their chart but no longer had the problem when I went up in size. 

I went for 20 months without.  Since I got the forms at Christmas, I find that I wear them more than I don't.  May be the allure of a new toy.  The true gift of the 20 months without is the comfort of knowing it is "OK", that people almost never notice and if they do it is really no big deal.  Sooner or later we will all run into some mean stupid idiot but you come to know they are just the very rare exception and to be blown off like any other idiot. When I get dressed in the morning, the decision on whether or not to wear my forms is no more earth shattering than what I think the color of the day should be.

I like your attitude.  Have fun with it whether you end up wearing forms, always, sometimes, or never.

Oh yes, and I too was an expert of that particular bra removing trick.

Barbara

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

This and that:

Tried on the beautiful Classique 779 burgundy lace over nude. Truly is very pretty but I found the straps uncomfortable and the lace itchy on the chest though I tend to be ultra sensitive to lace edging.  In the end I didn't buy it.

Found out from looking on the Amoena US website that a local source of their products is one of our local Dillard's. They had quite a number of prosthesis but only about 5 or 6 styles of bras and limited colors within the styles.  The only brand they carry is Amoena.  The fitter said it is something of a pilot program which is not in other Dillard's stores in my area and wasn't sure how many other places it might be in the country.  This was the first I had heard of Dillard's having such a service.  What I remember seeing was the Performance, Mona and Marlena.  I bought the Marlena in 36B in both blush and black which she said was their best sellling style.  

I am now officially charging Barbara of Breastfree.org with contributing to the delinquency of a survivor as I am becoming hooked on bra shopping and somehow I am sure it is all her fault.Wink  

Barbara 

• BoobsinaBox
    BoobsinaBox Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2012
    Options

Barbara,

I bought the Mona style in 2005, and they were painful, so I didn't wear them much, though I liked how they looked. Anyhow, this past summer I discovered that the heavy seam on the sides was not just a seam, but it had two (TWO) plastic stays, one attached at the top and one attached at the bottom on each side.  That's what made them so uncomfortable.  I snipped a little hole in the seams and pulled the stays out, cutting them loose on the seams, and it helped a lot.  Still, I find the Genie bras much softer and more comfortable for me.  Not too crazy about pulling them off over my head, but they go on easier.  I was talking to a new BC patient yesterday and told her I had 5 pairs of foobs in 3 kinds, forgetting the size 2 microbead forms I also have.  I'd like to blame Barbara (Erica), but she makes me feel so much better about all the experimenting I do!

Dawn 

• CatbirdC
    CatbirdC Member Posts: 235
    edited January 2012
    Options

I'm looking for a comfortable sports bra ?????

Any suggestions????

Thanks,

Bonnie (CatbirdC) 

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

I power walk but other than that would not consider myself a sportsy girl.  Certainly no aerobics so I am probably of no help.

Hopefully others who are more active will chime in.

Barbara

• dsv
    dsv Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Options

Coobie bras now come in a full size.  These are very comfortable (I am a size 40-42).  Before I ordered I did a search for coupons and found one for buy one get one free and they have good customer service.  I was a 42D before my bilateral and tram flap reconstruction and ended up with a 40a/b.  Have searched high and low for a comfortable bra and this does the trick.  The straps are skinny and don't rub on my port.

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited January 2012
    Options

Dawn and Barbara,

I'm happy to take the blame for your determination to find the best options. I only have myself to blame for my own obsession with breast forms and bras LOL. Going through this alone would be hard. And I wouldn't get the feedback that keeps me going on the quest for the perfect bra/breast form combo!

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Barbara:  I do realize that you mostly prefer foam to silicone.  Still I am curious what your personal likes, dislikes and preferences are as to silicone forms, particularly between Amoena, ABC and Silique.  I am presuming you have tried all 3 brands.

I have only owned the ABC lightweights which I like.  I am seriously thinking that within the ABC brand, that next time I would go to the Ultra-lightweights even though the local fitters think they are too likely to ride up.

Barbara

• crystalphm
    edited January 2012
    Options

I am so pleased to know coobie is making a larger size now, I am going to try one.

I also like barely there by Olga as something easy to flip m,y microbead foobs in, but then again it is winter here and I am wearing fleece, so no one would see foobs anyway.

I love this thread, it is near impossible for me to even consider doing this leg of the (breast cancer) journey alone.

• Erica
    edited January 2012
    Options

Starak (Barbara),

In my recommendations on the Breast Forms section of BreastFree.org, I try to reflect feedback from lots of women. For myself, the overriding concern is perspiration behind the form. As it happens, I share that issue with many other women, so I do look for forms to recommend on BreastFree.org that minimize that problem. 

Regarding foam v. silicone, while I do usually wear foam during the day (I don't work in an office and dress very casually in jeans and tees), I often wear silicone when going out for the evening, unless it's very hot and humid. After five years, I've amassed a collection of several pairs of forms (my insurance covers new forms once a year). I find that I go through phases where I'll wear one set of forms a lot, then switch to another. 

So far, I'm not answering your question at all LOL! I've tended to like forms that have some way to minimize perspiration--the Anita Tritex 1055 has a very soft microsoft backing, the Silique Comfort Lite is exceedingly lightweight and has a fabric backing with microbeads in between the back and the silicone front, and the Amoena energy has a special gel in the back that helps somewhat to keep the area from overheating.

I personally haven't cared for the ABC forms I've tried. I purchased and then returned their Massage Form--didn't love the shape and it didn't do anything to reduce perspiration (though it claims to help with that). 

There's a negative to microfiber-backed forms--once they become damp, they stay damp, so if you perspire behind them, it takes them a while to dry out. If you perspire behind an all-silicone or gel-backed form, you can wipe off the form, change your bra and be good to go. Sometimes I'll fold up an extra bra and put it in a ziplock bag in my purse, so if I'm going to be out for a long time, I'll have the option of changing bras. 

Back to favorites, though. One of the first pairs of forms I got was the Nearly Me Tapered Triangle. Very soft, very nice shape for my physique. My DH says they look the most like the former me (large B/small C cup) of all my forms. I originally wore them with the Classique 769 or a now-discontinued Amoena bra, the Jada. Both of those had synthetic pockets and I perspired behind them. Recently, I tried those forms (which I almost never wear) in my ABC bra, style 114, which has a cotton back. I really enjoyed wearing that combo. The Nearly Me's felt so soft against my chest (the Energy and some of the forms with fabric backing can't quite mold to your chest the way the softer silicone forms can). There are lots of silicone forms that feel very soft against the chest, so if perspiration isn't a problem, they're great options.

I don't agree with your fitters that the ultra-lightweights would ride up. They're still much heavier than weighted foam forms and also heavier than the Silique Comfort Lites. They're certainly worth a try, to see how they work for you. In the end, I do think it all comes down to personal preference--what feels and looks best on you. I provide suggestions on BreastFree.org in part because stores often have limited stocks and I want women to realize that there are some comfortable options they may not be aware of.

I should mention that I'm not someone who ordinarily perspires much at all, so this issue came as somewhat of a surprise to me. Also, I had prior radiation on my right side and I never perspire there, so it's only a problem on my left side. I am always searching for a way to alleviate this one issue. If not for that, I'd put on a pair of silicone forms in the morning and forget about them for the rest of the day...

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thank you Barbara Smile

We are different with somewhat different needs and yet your assessments really relate and are very helpful to me.  I have tried on a fair number of forms and in fairness didn't really give most of them much of a chance.  I am finding that being so huge before BMX followed by 20 months flat means there is not only a physical adjustment but perhaps an even bigger emotional one that seems to be a moving target.  In only a month, there have already been several instances that I have had to go back with bra and form and say I want to look again with fresh eyes.  I have now twice gone up in size.  I do find it rather intoxicating to be able to pick what size I want to be today.  Long story but now have ABC lightweight silicone in 4 and 5.  Was given the 5's and donated my TLC foam ones. 

Even I see that my body image is still not in line with reality.  The old habits that were essential when dressing M/N cups are hard to break even though they are no longer appropriate when dressing A or B cups.

I agree with you on the ABC massage form or any other form with ridges or bumps - get it off!  Avoided the fabric back as would have to dry - just doesn't appeal to me anyway, and not interested in any kind of contact form. So have pretty much concentrated on a lightweight all silicone.  After seeing that foam didn't want to move, I am convinced that I would have no problem with the ultra lights.  As I have a huge deductible and the cost would be totally out of pocket, the ultra lights are not something that will be happening any time soon. 

Comparing Amoena to ABC, the base of the Amoena is wider.  Essentially ABC cut the wings back on the triangle.  I need the wing on the outside but not on the inside edge which is why I keep being drawn back to asymmetricals.  The Amoena otherwise felt good.  I tried on a Nearly Me teardrop in regular weight.  Shape and weight were both a No but feel was good and would certainly consider this brand in a lightweight triangle.

I am now starting to consider the whole summer thing.  I too live in a hot climate though I do work in an office.  I could certainly have a backup bra available.

I know one of your favorite foam forms is a memory foam.  My memory foam bedding gets hot so I would almost think that it wouldn't be much better than the silicone except that it probably breathes better.  Am I missing something?

Again thank you thank you thank you for your input!!!

Barbara

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

In thinking about the upcoming summer, I am considering foam in size 3.  I have my super soft cotton Sam's Club Bally Total Fitness flat sports bras that have served me so well from strapping down The Mutants and then up thru the revision surgery to keep the compression bandaging from slipping.  They don't require pockets.  I have homemade covers, so I could just slap in the forms and they stay put where I put them.  Just won't work with anything bigger than a 3.  Thought it would be a good option for casual weekends shopping or being outside in severe heat. 

I am continually amazed how much I have chosen to wear the forms.  Even though I was flat for so long, I was never able to go bra free due to having to strap down The Mutants.  Now while I am still fine with flat, I am uneasy without having a layer of protection between my chest and the outer clothing.  Having never been a cami girl, that means a bra even if a flat one.

Barbara, I seem to remember you saying this and now I have found it to be true for myself.  When I wear silicone foobs in the bra, I have the physical sensation of having natural breasts.  It is the oddest thing and yet there it is.  I also cannot explain why but my right side nerve damage doesn't act up when I wear the forms so I am actually more comfortable with them than without as long as I have the right bra.  "This week" it is the TLC Cool Comfort and the Amoena Marlena.  Maybe I am just certifiable.

Barbara

• Erica
    edited January 2012
    Options

I think you're rapidly become an expert, Barbara! In answer to your question about memory foam being hot--no foam form I've tried causes me to sweat behind the form, unless I've hiked ten miles in high heat! But as I've said ad nauseum, we're all different. Also, I didn't like the ABC memory foam forms much at first, but they've grown on me (well, not literally LOL).

Regarding whether wearing forms actually helps with nerve pain, I experienced that early on (it's as if my nerves wanted some "feedback" by something pressing against them). In fact, I wonder whether that helped my nerves recover. And other women have reported the same thing.

Re your comment about ABC compared to Amoena, Amoena has many different shaped forms, so whereas one might be very wide, another might not. But it sounds as if the asymmetric shapes might be ideal for you.

Barbara

BreastFree.org

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

I think you are right about the "feedback" thing.  When it starts acting up, the way I calm it is by laying my hand across it and applying light pressure.