Topic: I look for other flat chested women. A rant.

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: Jun 13, 2012 02:39PM - edited Jul 2, 2012 06:56PM by MT1

Posted on: Jun 13, 2012 02:39PM - edited Jul 2, 2012 06:56PM by MT1

MT1 wrote:

I know many of you wear prosthesis, so I probably wouldn't be able to see or 'know', but. I look for you. I want to see you. I want to form a union, lol. I wish it were even more accepted, acceptable to be flat. To not wear prosthesis, not feel the need to, to opt out of reconstruction-if that is your choice. I do hope that women who see me, flat as can be, see there are options, that reconstruction isn't par for the course. I want to make flat beautiful, sexy, stylish. Normal. And it is normal for me, is becoming normal, but I am talking about society, norms and expectations. Breast cancer is not about 'boob jobs'. Yes, many of us opt for them, want and need them. But it is also about choosing to be flat. 

Geez, would I like to meet up with other flat chested women. I would love to take over a hotel, make noise, laugh, cry, be flat together-to see you. I want to meet other women who, like me, have decided not to reconstruct. I want to be able to see you and high five! I want to experience our society of normal.

I was picking up my vegetables from the CSA and a man could not stop looking at my chest, I wanted to yell, 'Breast Cancer did this!! Get it together, man!' I wish all of us would!

Rant complete.

Page 2 of 431 (4,310 results)

Jun 14, 2012 06:48AM - edited Jun 14, 2012 06:50AM by Flat_for_Life

I was sitting here....on my recovery couch....surfing for some sort of connection to the outside world.  A world I used to belong to 9 days ago.  It has been 9 days since my bi-lateral mastectomy due to cancer in my right breast.  The decision was relatively easy since I made it so many years ago....losing a number of good friends to this disease puts things in perspective for you. 

I came across this discussion board (and this thread) and it just made my day!  Flat Chested Fest!!!!  I immediately felt like I belonged somewhere in the world again....The Flat Chested World!!!!!  I have to tell you that I have never joined any chat room or discussion board until today...I wanted the Flat Chested World to know they have a new member from PA!!!!  I wanted to yell....I AM HERE!!!!!

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to belong again... I am so newly diagnosed that I can't even put my recovery information at the bottom of this reply....this topic was the inspiration for my username!!!! Smile

Dx 4/9/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/5/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jun 14, 2012 07:01AM MT1 wrote:

Flat Fest 2012! Half Flat Fest! How very flattering! So two people might like to meet up in NYC in the fall?

Jun 14, 2012 07:11AM Tina337 wrote:

Flat for Life, welcome to the Living Without Recon forum. This is a lovely group of women, so supportive and thoughtful.

One of the members here, Barbara, has created a website that has excellent info on living without recon. Check it out:

Breastfree.org

MT, "flattering" ha ha! Funny.
"Life isn't about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself." ~ George Bernard Shaw Dx 11/13/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 14, 2012 07:15AM Flat_for_Life wrote:

Thank you for the website and the welcome!

Dx 4/9/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/5/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jun 14, 2012 08:36AM River_Rat wrote:

Hello Flat for Life, I'm glad you found us.  I think you'll enjoy the website that Tina gave you too.  When I was feeling like I was alone in the decision I had made I saw a book called "Show Me" and I found http://breastfree.org/ and read the stories there and suddenly I didn't feel so freakish and alone.  I looked at the pictures and saw beautiful strong women.  As I healed, after the drains were removed, I looked at my chest in the bathroom mirror every time I went in there; and it wasn't long before I saw a beautiful strong woman there too.  

I can't do New York but I'll be there in spirit.  If there's an interest for a Flat Fest in the Detroit area, that I can do. 

Fear is the highest fence. ~Dudley Nichols

Jun 14, 2012 11:35AM crystalphm wrote:

Welcome Flat for life....we do belong here, we can  share all of the ups and downs here...we are sisters with a bond.

And it seems appropriate to post here that I got a call from my fitter (had an appointment today for my first set of silicon forms) and it seems I have to pay the first $400. I am astounded.

So no silicon for me so i am truly  "flat and fabulous"

I will worry about silicon some other day....

Jun 14, 2012 11:48AM thepinkbirdie wrote:

i had a left mastectomy in 2009.  i tried the prosthesis and hated it.  then i tried loose fitted shirts.  then i said to hell with it all and wear what i feel like.  nothing quite says "breast cancer awareness" like one boob in a tight tank top!

patterned shirts do help to camoflage.

love "flat fest"!! 

thepinkbirdie.blogspot.com Dx 6/2/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 14, 2012 11:52AM - edited Jun 14, 2012 11:59AM by Flat_for_Life

Nice to meet you River Rat and Crystalphm....I went to the Breastfree website and realized that I had already travelled there in my frantic attempt to gain information before my surgery.  As I went back through the pics, I wondered if any of the women pictured were Barbara...I have such immense respect for each woman who gave of themselves so those of us who would come after could find some relief as we found proof of what we might look like after.....

I live in PA and would love to come to NYC for a FLAT FEST!!!!! 

MT1....you are a hilarious!

Jun 14, 2012 12:00PM greenfrog wrote:

FlatFest! Excellent idea.

Maybe this should be a virtual international festival of flatness? Laughing

Some profile raising of this issue is long overdue. Koo Stark is a poster woman for the resolutely breastless - she looks fantastic. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136178/Prince-Andrews-lover-Koo-Stark-to-launch-phone-hacking-claim-U-S-Murdoch-empire.html

Hope you are on the road to recovery soon Flat For Life.

Dx 5/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/19 nodes, ER+, HER2-

Jun 14, 2012 12:05PM Flat_for_Life wrote:

Hey GreenFrog!  I love the idea of an international festival of flatness!!!!  Thanks for the kind words as well.  Best to you!

Page 2 of 431 (4,310 results)

Scroll to top button