Topic: I look for other flat chested women. A rant.

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: Jun 13, 2012 04:39PM - edited Jul 2, 2012 08:56PM by MT1

Posted on: Jun 13, 2012 04:39PM - edited Jul 2, 2012 08:56PM by MT1

MT1 wrote:

I know many of you wear prosthesis, so I probably wouldn't be able to see or 'know', but. I look for you. I want to see you. I want to form a union, lol. I wish it were even more accepted, acceptable to be flat. To not wear prosthesis, not feel the need to, to opt out of reconstruction-if that is your choice. I do hope that women who see me, flat as can be, see there are options, that reconstruction isn't par for the course. I want to make flat beautiful, sexy, stylish. Normal. And it is normal for me, is becoming normal, but I am talking about society, norms and expectations. Breast cancer is not about 'boob jobs'. Yes, many of us opt for them, want and need them. But it is also about choosing to be flat. 

Geez, would I like to meet up with other flat chested women. I would love to take over a hotel, make noise, laugh, cry, be flat together-to see you. I want to meet other women who, like me, have decided not to reconstruct. I want to be able to see you and high five! I want to experience our society of normal.

I was picking up my vegetables from the CSA and a man could not stop looking at my chest, I wanted to yell, 'Breast Cancer did this!! Get it together, man!' I wish all of us would!

Rant complete.

Page 5 of 431 (4,310 results)

Jun 17, 2012 03:44PM Laural wrote:

I have to wear a compression sleeve with gauntlet due to lymphedema on the right side. That is enough constriction for me so go flat most of the time. I work with school kids and have never had one comment from them. My problem is that I am a larger woman...the first time I looked down and saw my pudgy abdomen staring back at me, I did miss the "camoflauge" of my breasts which hid this from me previously. I do have to be careful what types of clothes I wear unless I want folks to think I am pregnant. But when the summer heat is here and I don't have AC, flat is the only way to go. 

Dx 9/18/11; Stage 1 IDC on left, 1.2 cm. Grade 2, 0/2 nodes positive; Stage 1 ILC on right, 1 cm. Grade 2, 0/13 nodes positive; Acute leukemia as young adult and secondary MDS ever since. Through it all, God is faithful.

Jun 17, 2012 05:55PM pamelahope wrote:

This thread is giving me strength. I am undergoing chemo now and don't think I want reconstruction. I would rather have nothing than breasts that are not real to me.
MIT I thank you for posting the picture of Corrolla???? I don't know who she is but she proved to me you can still be beautiful and flat. She looks good flat!
Pam

BRACA2 Positive Surgery 9/23/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jun 17, 2012 05:56PM crystalphm wrote:

Laural, I hate my pudgy belly!!! But you know, I took a piece of paper and covered a model's breasts in a magazine, and her bottom of her body looked "unusual" without breasts too...so we really do take on an unusual appearance without breasts, especially if the mastectomy was radical and we are now concave.

I also don't have air conditioning and when I have to wear the lymphedema sleeve and gauntlet, enough is enough, I would never attempt to even wear a cami on those days. Just a tank top and compression gear.

I still get annoyed at all the bare breasts in movies. I wish I could get over this.

Jun 18, 2012 11:10AM alexandria58 wrote:

So looking forward to Flat Fest in Fall 2012.  New York or Bust.  

How about Saturday, September 22?     MT1, suggestions on venues?

BTW, any flat sisters who are singers or musicians in the New York-New Jersey-Pa area interested in getting a music group together?  Singers?  It would be one way to publicize flatness.  (I also play guitar.)  

Dx 2/22/2011, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+

Jun 18, 2012 02:29PM Linda-n3 wrote:

Alexandria, I sing a bit - not a "singer" but sing with a choir and enjoy lots of different types of music. Am putting Sept 22 on my calendar and hoping work doesn't interfere!

Linda - "Loving to learn; learning to love." "Gratitude leads to joy. Joy leads to prayer. Prayer leads to gratitude." "Oh, what fresh new hell is this???" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory Dx 7/14/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 19/23 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 8/2011, IDC, Stage IIIC Dx 9/2012, IDC, Stage IIIC Dx 12/2012, IDC, Stage IV

Jun 18, 2012 03:47PM MT1 wrote:

Alexandria5.

Would we sing in a flat key? :) 

September 22? I can do that. Should we plan a day long get together? It will still be nice out, we can walk, eat, shop? How many are interested? Are you far enough away that you would like to stay somewhere? Should I check out some hotels?

Jun 19, 2012 08:42AM alexandria58 wrote:

Maybe a restaurant for lunch, but not too expensive - Columbus Avnue where we can maybe hang out in Central Park afterwards or in the Village, where we can wander through little shops.  

I'm planning on a day trip.

We can sing flat or sharp.  The point is to sing.

Dx 2/22/2011, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+

Jun 19, 2012 10:58PM coraleliz wrote:

September 22, that's my birthday. Maybe a trip to New York for my birthday? OK, i'm dreaming.........but maybe.......

Dx 2/28/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/15/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/15/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jun 20, 2012 09:44AM mumito wrote:

Sept road trip to NewYork sounds like fun.Might consider bringing a few canadian ladies down.???

Dx 4/23/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jun 20, 2012 10:50AM MT1 wrote:

Come one come all! Like I said, I want to see you! I almost want to start a FlatFest thread, so this opportunity doesn't get lost in this thread.

Anyway, my rant continues and I have outted myself on my blog. I am a craft book author and artist and I use my blog to promote myself and connect with my readers, many of whom are also survivors. My readers know that I went through treatment while writing my second book and I have mentioned mt decision not to reconstruct, though just in passing.

melanietesta.com/2012/06/looki... 

Please come check it out.

Melly 

Page 5 of 431 (4,310 results)

Scroll to top button