We are 197,799 members in 81 forums discussing 145,375 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy → Topic: New BCO Page: Going Flat: Choosing No Reconstruction

Topic: New BCO Page: Going Flat: Choosing No Reconstruction

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: Feb 28, 2014 04:23PM

Moderators wrote:

You asked for it, and we responded! Check out the new content on the main Breastcancer.org site on Going Flat: Choosing No Reconstruction.

We hope you enjoy!

--The Breastcancer.org Team

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 28 of 30 (883 results)

Posts 811 - 840 (883 total)

Oct 6, 2017 04:41PM - edited Oct 8, 2017 01:26PM by magiclight

This Post was deleted by magiclight.
Life is available only in the present...the here and the now. Thich Nhat Hanh Dx 4/27/2015, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/27/2015 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Oct 6, 2017 06:07PM JuliaJazz wrote:

MagicLight.  That is a bummer. Hope that eventually improves for you. 

Dx 4/11/2017, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/5/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Surgery 5/17/2017 Lymph node removal: Right Chemotherapy 6/23/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 9/23/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 6, 2017 09:24PM - edited Oct 8, 2017 01:27PM by magiclight

Life is available only in the present...the here and the now. Thich Nhat Hanh Dx 4/27/2015, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/27/2015 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Oct 6, 2017 09:43PM MamaFelice wrote:

Wren-- which foam prosthetics do you buy and where? I have seen them all over Amazon, but worried to just order. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Magiclight-- sorry to hear about your syndrome. Did you ever try any nerve meds like Neurotin? That is what I was given to help manage and heal my chest nerve pain.

I'm going to have an arsenal of foobies before I know it!

Dx 5/10/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/25/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 9/4/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Dx 9/13/2017, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 10/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/16/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes

Oct 6, 2017 09:54PM - edited Oct 8, 2017 01:26PM by magiclight

Oct 7, 2017 04:58PM Erica wrote:

Hi MamaFelice,

I'm sure Wren will weigh in, but I just wanted to mention a couple of foam forms that I like -- The Trulife Tri-Featherweight (unweighted foam form) and the Trulife Tri-Leisure (a slightly-weighted core in a foam form). I also like Amoena's weighted foam form (very lightweight, just enough to keep it from riding up), it's style 132. Other major manufacturers also make foam forms -- Nearly Me, American Breast Care, and others -- but for me, the Trulife and Amoena foam forms work best.

You can check out all my recommendations on my non-profit website, BreastFree.org.

BreastFree.org (breastfree.org); BreastFree Blog (breastfree.blogspot.com); Twitter @BreastFree

Oct 7, 2017 05:00PM Erica wrote:

Hi MamaFelice,

I'm sure Wren will weigh in, but I just wanted to mention a couple of foam forms that I like -- The Trulife Tri-Featherweight (unweighted foam form) and the Trulife Tri-Leisure (a slightly-weighted core in a foam form). I also like Amoena's weighted foam form (very lightweight, just enough to keep it from riding up), it's style 132. Other major manufacturers also make foam forms -- Nearly Me, American Breast Care, and others -- but for me, the Trulife and Amoena foam forms work best.

You can check out all my recommendations on my non-profit website, BreastFree.org.

BreastFree.org (breastfree.org); BreastFree Blog (breastfree.blogspot.com); Twitter @BreastFree

Oct 7, 2017 05:38PM Wren44 wrote:

I have the Trulife lightly weighted form. It rode too high for the real one on the other side so I added 2 quarters to the weight. I did not wear it thru airport security. I have a microbead form I made a long time ago. I wore it thru security and use it in my swim suit. They float, but it's in a pocket.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Oct 10, 2017 12:14PM Hogwarts wrote:

Chloesmom,

You look amazing!!! I haven't gotten brave enough to wear any of my solid color tops while going flat, so horrah for you!

Have been finding busily patterned, high-necked tops with short sleeves for summer wear and can't wait for the cooler weather to either be able to wear forms, or wear layers and not be self-conscious. Ah, vanity....

Seems like no matter how soft the fabric, anything touching my skin becomes an irritation, and my surgery was over 2 yrs. ago. But I remind myself that I am now healthy, so this is such a small price to pay. ❤️

Hogwarts

Oct 10, 2017 10:23PM MamaFelice wrote:

Thank you ladies for the recommendations regarding the different forms. I will order a pair and give them a try.

I definitely find that the heat and humidity that has invaded our area the past several days had me not wanting to wear any of my knitted knockers against my skin -- or I felt all hot and itchy-- so I just wore my cami and a flowy shirt and went about my business. Starting chemo next week and wondering how hot flashes will influence it all. I'm glad cooler temps are on their way.

Dx 5/10/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/25/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 9/4/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Dx 9/13/2017, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 10/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/16/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes

Oct 11, 2017 01:13PM JuliaJazz wrote:

Thank you for those recommendations Erica.  They helped me when I visited our local retailer In the Pink. I will write more whe I get the forms I ordered.

Dx 4/11/2017, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/5/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Surgery 5/17/2017 Lymph node removal: Right Chemotherapy 6/23/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 9/23/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 11, 2017 05:31PM MamaFelice wrote:

Okay ladies..... I have another line of questioning.... lymphadema sleeves?? Imagine there may be an entire thread dedicated to this, but thought I would get your feedback first. Also looking to see how you all brought exercise back in to your lives after surgery. I thought I would have recovered faster from all this and been back on the exercise bandwagon sooner than I have, and now chemo starts next week.

Thanks ladies! 💗💗💗

Oct 11, 2017 07:15PM JuliaJazz wrote:

I just talked to my retail shop In the Pink about this.  They said they may have them in stock to fit me but if not it woud only take a week or so to order.  So I am waiting til early February for my planned March plane flight in case I lose weight between now and then.  I guess I am supposed to get two since I has a bilateral, although lymph nodes were only taken on one side.

Oct 11, 2017 09:40PM MamaFelice wrote:

JuliaJazz-- It is my understanding that you only need a sleeve for the side that lymph nodes were removed. I too had a BMX, but they only prescribed me a sleeve for side that had ALND. That's the side where the lymphatic system has been broken and the nodes are trying to find new paths....absence of pathways leads to lymphadema. Are you seeing a PT?

Oct 11, 2017 11:37PM Wren44 wrote:

I had a UMX with 3 nodes taken. I've never had any symptoms of lymphadema. I haven't had any long flights, but no problem with 3-4 hour ones. I know it can happen at any time, but I'm not doing anything until then.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Oct 11, 2017 11:40PM JuliaJazz wrote:

Thanks, Mama Felice.  I will talk to someone about that.  Makes sense to me.

Julia

Oct 12, 2017 03:27PM Heidibird wrote:

I went to Germany in March from Oklahoma and luckily had no problems. I feel blessed about that. I also had a UMX with 2 nodes taken out.

~Heidi

Dx 4/19/2016, IDC, Left, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Surgery 11/8/2016 Mastectomy: Left Surgery Lumpectomy: Left Surgery

Oct 16, 2017 07:46PM georgia67 wrote:

I had bilateral mastectomy Sept. 1 and wore compression for at least two weeks then off and on when I felt like I needed it.  What feels good under clothes now is close fitting cami's under my shirts.  What looks best to me is button up shirts to somewhat hid the belly and flat chest. 

Oct 16, 2017 10:49PM Wren44 wrote:

I've been having problems with the elastic on bras irritating my skin. I have a nerve under my shoulder blade that is set off by wearing something tight. It occurred to me that a cami or soft jockey T shirt under the bra might work. If I have the second one off, I'll wear a cami with pockets instead of a bra. Oh heaven!

Oct 29, 2017 04:36PM Hogwarts wrote:

Hi Wrenn44,

I hear you loud and clear about nerve pain with mastectomy bras. I got some cheap cotton tank tops and had them shortened to wear under my bras in the summer heat and humidity, but that wasn't a permanent solution. After several hours, my skin and nerves are just too sensitive for the silicone forms or the knitted knockers, regardless of the bra worn.

(Does anyone else have super sensitive nerves and skin, and has found a form that doesn't cause pressure or hold moisture?)

Since my forms are small, I tried Coobie bras and found them to be really comfy as there are no seams! However, as they are nylon, after a while they are not comfortable in the summer! Nearly perfect, but not quite there.

If anyone is interested, here's a Coobie link in the TLC catalog for these comfy bras. You can also find them on Amazon. These bras aren't expensive and in the TLC catalog, it shows that they are covered by Medicare.

If anyone sees cotton Coobies for sale, please, please let me know!

Hope this helps and good luck in the future.

Hogwarts

Oct 31, 2017 11:39AM JuliaJazz wrote:

I have been happy with no reconstruction. I didn't want ANY additional surgeries and I like the fact that it would be easier to spot any recurrences (on the chest wall) without implants.  I don't go "flat" really as I usually wear foobs "fake boobs" or external prostheses instead of internal ones. These help balance out my curvy hips. If I were really thin I could probably go flat in clothes and no one would notice. As it is I wear a double D (size 10 or 11 breast form).  If I lose another 25 pounds in the next year or two I might be able to go down to a D cup and look balanced.  Time will tell.

Each type of breast forms have advantages and disadvantages and I choose a different one depending on what I am doing that day. I have three types:#1 - knitted knockers  (free and weightless); #2 - foam ones slightly weighted which are very perky but feel a bit firm when someone hugs you (ABC First Form Weighed Style 926);  #3 - lightweight silicone ones (Anita Softtouch 1052X2) which are a bit heavier and sag and move a little bit when I walk around or if I lie down they flatten out as real ones would and in general look much more like the boobs of a 68 year old person. 

Oct 31, 2017 02:12PM Wren44 wrote:

I'm going to look into the Anita Softtouch. I'm a uni and perky does not describe the real one.

Nov 2, 2017 10:04AM Hogwarts wrote:

Micro-bead form question-

How comfortable are these forms in the summer heat and humidity? My silicone forms create too much friction as they hold in the summer heat and humidity and become intolerable.

Bra liners-

For those of us with chest wall discomfort issues, has anyone found relief with bra liners? Has anyone found anything that more fully fully covers the mastectomy area? Tank tops under mastectomy bras bunch up with movement even when pinned in place; cotton mastectomy pockets bunch and irritate as well.

Thank you.

Nov 2, 2017 01:13PM Wren44 wrote:

Hogwarts, I found the microbead forms too solid against my skin. I like the weighted foam forms, Tru Life 611 is the one I'm wearing all summer.

Nov 2, 2017 02:03PM - edited Nov 2, 2017 02:05PM by Luckynumber47

Wow. This thread reminded me that I wanted to try the microbead forms so I did a quick Google search. Mastectomy Shop has ABC 929 for $79.00 each plus shipping. Park Mastectomy has the same one for $49.00 with free shipping. (Amazon sells this same one from Park for the same price with free ship) Cure Diva has one from ABC that looks the same but doesn't have a model number for $35.00 plus shipping. (Looks like their shipping is $4.99

It's crazy that there's such a price difference.

My avatar is a Blue Footed Boobie. Cracked me up. ATM variant, mom died at 33 from BC Dx 2/15/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/16/2016, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 4/6/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 5/16/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 3, 2017 11:05AM Hogwarts wrote:

Wren44,

Thanks for the feedback on the foam forms. Do they hold the heat and humidity in the summer? Are there any 'edges' to these forms? Am finding anything with edges is an irritation. Tried the puffer ones right after my BMX 2 summers ago and they irritated my hollowed out chest. As they were very wide, I narrowed them down but still had the nerve irritation issue. There has to be something that gently rests against the skin and allows air to circulate as well.

Anyone have any experience with the unweighted foam forms? It looks like some have tabs where the forms can be pinned to the inside of a bra; nice feature.

Happy Friday, all, and thanks for the ideas.

Nov 3, 2017 12:53PM JuliaJazz wrote:

HOGWARTS.  Have you tried the Knitted Knockers.  I wore these all summer in Florida and they were very soft, weightless and cool.  This fall I finally got around to getting fitted and getting some other types as I reported above but I still wear the knitted knockers many days.  I made some micro bead ones myself but couldn't get them to fit in my bras quite right.  I have some new bras now, so I will try those again.

Nov 3, 2017 01:30PM Hogwarts wrote:

Hi JuliaJazz,

Yep, thanks! I was really excited when I learned about knitted knockers, and ordered some. But even the edges on the backs of these became an irritation after a while in the heat and humidity. I can wear most anything once the weather cools down. It felt soooo good a few days ago when I could wear my forms and not feel self-conscious. Now the weather has warmed up again; rats!

Do you think the Coobie bras would work with the forms you made? They are seamless and if the Coobie bras come with a cookie, perhaps the foobs behind the cookies might work to give a better shape/profile.

Has anyone tried these foam forms from TLC? They are going to call me back when they find out what the fabric is on the back. They also have the same model with weights. At $24 and $26/each with a 60 day return policy, this isn't a bad deal.

Noticed that the TruLife foam form covers have an envelope opening on the back and I'm concerned even that 'edge' might be an irritation. There has to be a solution somewhere....

Hogwarts

Nov 3, 2017 01:36PM JuliaJazz wrote:

Hogwarts, Have you tried going to a specialty shop and getting fitted.  Maybe they would have some ideas and your insurance would pay.  Also, if you just use smaller forms I used a cami from Walmart and that was very comfy.  Again, I don't have your issues though.  What size bra are you?

Nov 3, 2017 05:54PM Hogwarts wrote:

JuliaJazz, thanks for your thoughts, though not sure where to go for a speciality shop other than Nordstrum's. The closest one is about 30 miles away, which is a bit of a major hike for me. My silicone form is a size 2, so a smaller size wouldn't make much difference.

(Whatever happened to the padded bras of the 60s?!) Got cotton bras from Fruit of the Loom and cut a slit into the lining to put forms in, but in the heat and humidity is still an issue, regardless of the 2 forms I have tried. At least with this bra, it's all cotton with no seams. Thank goodness winter will eventually get here.

Page 28 of 30 (883 results)