We are 197,866 members in 81 forums discussing 145,397 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy → Topic: New BCO Page: Going Flat: Choosing No Reconstruction

Topic: New BCO Page: Going Flat: Choosing No Reconstruction

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: Feb 28, 2014 04:23PM

Moderators wrote:

You asked for it, and we responded! Check out the new content on the main Breastcancer.org site on Going Flat: Choosing No Reconstruction.

We hope you enjoy!

--The Breastcancer.org Team

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 30 of 30 (883 results)

Posts 871 - 883 (883 total)

Nov 28, 2017 07:08AM Snickersmom wrote:

I feel exactly the same - I do all of my best thinking when I'm out walking!

An

Dx 3/22/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/2/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 6/11/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 28, 2017 08:14PM Hogwarts wrote:

Snickersmom,

Check out Kathy Bates. She had a double and went flat. I tried to capture a picture of her to show you, but no luck. She only wears forms for movies. She looks great and has a great attitude. I'm still working on my attitude, but at least it's cooler and the layers help. And I'm starting to feel comfortable sharing my dx and surgery history.

Know what you mean about the physical side being easier that the emotional stuff. When I was dx'ed, everything seemed to come to a screeching halt in a cold wash of fear. That was nearly 2 1/2 yrs. ago. My numbers are nice and low, life is good, then I look at the printed note for a recheck (for 8-18) with the surgeon, and my stomach dropped. High risk of BC.

My goodness, they decided with sonograms and blood work that I'm good and they go and print those fearfilled words for me to see! We've been thru enough without putting that into our systems! Talked with the gal who prints that stuff out and she can just delete that message from the nurse if I remember to tell her. My head space is so important to me after all of this and I wish all doctor's kept that in mind as well. Keep those kinds of notes in the file, for heaven's sake.

Okay, rant done, but that was one sleepless nite when I was going thru my diary and updating for 2018.

For those of use with sensitive skin and nerves, I'll share something I learned. Not all seamless bras are the same, obviously, not even within the same brand. Got a shinny Jockey bra and it felt much better than the Jockey Coobie-type bras while wearing the silicone foobs. The Coobies have more texture to them. I develop skin barnacles easily. Any texture + moisture + heat and off everything comes! Still wish the Coobies came in cotton....

Anyone else have the skin barnacle issue? What was your solution, if there is one. So much fun along with the nerve thing. Sigh.... But, life goes on and I'm healthier now than before, so I'm very grateful!

Dec 6, 2017 06:34PM Hogwarts wrote:

Hi all,

For those of us with chest wall nerve pain, my neurologist said that Neurontin/gabapentin should work. You just have to play with the dose and know that it can make you drowsy. Got an Rx today and will see how it goes.

Cheers!

Dec 6, 2017 06:42PM Snickersmom wrote:

I have been taking Gabapentin for my back for about 7 years and I have no side effects at all. And they don't make me drowsy. I take 6 pills per day, 3 in the morning and 3 at night. They do help my nerve issues in my leg and hopefully it will help ou, too. Let me know

Dx 3/22/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/2/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 6/11/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 6, 2017 08:58PM Hogwarts wrote:

Snickersmom, that's great. So glad it's helping you!!!

Dec 6, 2017 09:17PM MamaFelice wrote:

Hogwarts-- I too was given gabapentin after my BMX. Starting around 3 weeks after my surgery I began With taking 100mg every night before bed for 6 weeks and it did the trick. Amazingly as a matter of fact! Hope it works just as well for you!

Dx 5/10/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/25/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 9/4/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Dx 9/13/2017, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 10/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/16/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes

Dec 7, 2017 08:33AM Hogwarts wrote:

MamaFelice,

Wow! That's great and at such a low dose as well. When I asked my surgeon for something nearly a month after surgery, I was just told there was nothing I could do. The attitude was sort of like I'd just have to live with it. No warm fuzzies or anything like, "We're sorry that we can't help you with this pain.' Their response didn't feel very compassionate.

This site is the first time/place I heard about using GABA for our nerve pain. Did it take you 6 weeks for the effect to kick in?

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2017 10:31AM Snickersmom wrote:

That's awful! I can't believe they didn't give you something. I actually don't have any problems other than a bit of leftover tissue "blobs" but Gabapentin works so well for the nerve damage in my leg that tI would think it would work just as well for your chest nerve pain. I know it's used for seizures.

Dec 8, 2017 09:29AM Erica wrote:

Gabapentin can be an extremely effective medicine for nerve pain. But it might be worth bearing in mind that sometimes nerve pain at the surgical site (chest) can be temporary, caused by the nerves regenerating after having been disrupted during surgery. This happened to me, and the pain gradually abated. It might be worth tapering off the gabapentin at some point (NEVER stop cold turkey) to see if the pain is still a problem. For the moment, though, great that it's helping!

BreastFree.org (breastfree.org); BreastFree Blog (breastfree.blogspot.com); Twitter @BreastFree

Dec 8, 2017 09:52AM Snickersmom wrote:

I get "twinges" every once in a while in my chest but the surgeon said that's the nerves trying to regenerate. I don't really get them much now. Might be that the Gabapentin I take for my back also works on my chest!

Good luck with it; hope it helps

Dec 9, 2017 08:28AM MamaFelice wrote:

When I saw my surgeon at 3 weeks, I told him about the Fire of pain across my chest. I understood it was nerve pain, and found it tolerable but mentioned it as any patient should share with doc. He suggested the gaba and I asked if I could wait and see how well it subsides on its own. He said the gaba does best at healing the active nerves trying to heal when taken early on. I don't like medicine and I knew I was about to begin being pumped with a ton of them (aka chemo), but loved my surgeon so took his medical advice to heart. Started taking the 100 before bed (it actually helped me sleep), and I would say I could tell a real difference after 2 weeks. By 6 weeks the pain was gone, and at 7 weeks I began alternating nights I take it, and taking fewer each week, and now at 11 weeks I am about weened off.

Keep us posted on how it works for you! ☺️🦋

Dx 5/10/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/25/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 9/4/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Dx 9/13/2017, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 10/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/16/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes

Dec 9, 2017 10:22AM Erica wrote:

MamaFelice,

Sounds like you have a great doctor and that's very interesting that he said the gaba actually helps heal the active nerves. Glad it helped and that you've been able to wean off it.

BreastFree.org (breastfree.org); BreastFree Blog (breastfree.blogspot.com); Twitter @BreastFree

Dec 9, 2017 05:46PM Hogwarts wrote:

Wow, all this great info on GABA. My neurologist didn't say anything about healing nerves, and I feel mine fire from time to time as they heal, but he did say that the med does dampen the firing of the neurons, or something like that. Makes sense if it's used to control seizure activity.

My nerve issues are from pressure and friction. Do you think the GABA would help with that? There's an irritated feeling in general, but then the side where the surgeon went in 3 wks. later to take some lymph nodes is the side that really bothers me.

I so look forward to hearing more responses on this issue and your combined experiences. Thank you all for being 'here!'

Page 30 of 30 (883 results)