Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Swim suits for women who go flat?

Mommy2Six
Mommy2Six Member Posts: 12

Because I'm at a loss, and I have a pool party this weekend!

Comments

• morwenna
    morwenna Member Posts: 204
    edited May 2015

There are various online options, eg https://www.southbeachswimsuits.com/swimsuits-mast...!

But most assume that you want pocketted garments to accommodate prosthetics. If you don't want to bother with that I suggest a patterned swimsuit, or tankini that would not emphasize the fact that you are flat. I picked up a lovely colourful tankini top from Sportschek, and wear it with a black speedo bikini bottom. http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productI... It is quite high cut at the sides, so pretty much covers my scars ...

Good luck with your search :)

• Mommy2Six
    edited May 2015

Thanks for the reply, Morwenna!!!! So does the tankini you purchased lie flat against your chest? I've tried on a few tankinis but all were gaping open at the top and wrinkly and empty-looking. :(

• Flounder
    Flounder Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2015

I have the Lands End tugless tank (the lined model) and it fits and looks good.

• morwenna
    morwenna Member Posts: 204
    edited May 2015

Ah, I can't answer that Mommy, as I have just had a reconstruction!! ... but the Speedo variety often do not have shaped areas for the bust, they just squash everything flat anyway!

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited May 2015

I found that using a spandex tank from the work out section worked well. Sometimes I even went to the men's section.

• katsie
    katsie Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2015

I'm so frustrated with the swimsuits available for us who have had a mastectomy, without reconstruction! I've purchased two, last year. Both are high neck, which works well for me, because my scar is high, in my opinion, and bumpy. Anyway, I wore them both, with lightweight as well as weighted inserts. When I get out of the water, the suits sag so badly, that my prosthetics almost sit on my waist! I've been looking for a new suit, but the tanks are too low, and not one has adjustable straps, which I think we need. I haven't had the courage to go flat, and even if I decided to do so, the scar is high, across my chest, and bumpy and hollow in places, and when I bend down (to pick up my granddaughters at the pool), the suits always pull away from my chest, exposing the ugly scar.

I've been to every site possible, on the net. I've tried on so many bathing suits, that I have about given up on finding one that will work well for me. I wish manufacturers would cut them high, and put real support for the prosthetics in the cup area, as well as make the straps sturdy and adjustable! I have one suit, that I bought 15 years ago, before my surgery, but it's the only well-made, supportive suit that I have, and they're not making it any longer. I have been able to use a sports bra, that I modified to accommodate my inserts, underneath this suit. The problem is that none of the suits currently available are cut high enough! I've just about worn it out with swimming at the pool, and the lake.

If anybody can offer a link to a nice supportive high-cut suit, please give me a link! I wear a size 16 misses, and most sites that I've checked here, consider a 14 an XL. :(.

• Mommy2Six
    edited May 2015

@Katsie, I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time of it. That sounds so emotionally exhausting. HUGS. <3

• metta
    metta Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2015

I haven't tried my two Lands End mastectomy tankinis, but I stuffed two bath poufs in them, and they look good. I don't think they would sag, since they are so lightweight, but we will see ... I also bought a really cool "tunic rash guard" from Lands End that I've worn as a shirt. (I guess I am old enough to think Lands End is cool.) I am thinking of wearing a bikini top underneath the swim shirt and attaching bath poufs or swim forms to the bikini top somehow. I'm starting radiation today, so I'll have to wear rash guards this summer.

The ruffle top swimsuit is in. I think this would work well for us! They have a ruffle that extends and flops over the top part of the tankini, providing a little extra pouf. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Cole-California-Womens-Super-Tankini/dp/B00OBB7NAO

I'm slightly thrilled to still have my underarm fat (that little bulge near where my boob used to be). Who knew I'd ever say that? If nothing else, b.c. certainly teaches you to be grateful for the little things.

• Lojo
    Lojo Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2015

I have a Lands End tankini top (not a mastectomy suit --bought pre-surgery) that has pockets, is relatively high necked. I keep the padded triangles that came with the suit (which I sometimes used pre surgery) and add padded triangles that come from my coobie bras, which I wear without any official prosthesis. The double padding gives the illusion of something there, though relatively flat, doesn't hold water, etc. I'm smaller than you (size 6, and was a small B before), but you could try it. I also have a regular Speedo tank  that smushed everything before. I sometimes wear the coobie bra under it, though it does show in back.

• amygil81
    amygil81 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2015

I just got the Beach Living Blouson Tankini Swimsuit top from Land's End, and it's working well for me. It holds my D-cup foob in the pocket just fine. I pair it with the 5" swim shorts, which cover the scars from my leg surgery as well. Hope that helps. Amy

• Mommy2Six
    edited May 2015

Thanks for all the responses. :) I personally am looking for something that will allow me to go entirely flat with nothing between me and my chest, but y'all have given some awesome advice. <3

• ninetwelve
    ninetwelve Member Posts: 328
    edited May 2015

Have you done an online search for "modesty" suits? I've been looking for something with a higher neck, too, and I've seen some cute ones. I like the ones that look like I might be planning to go surfing - they're a sort of lycra T shirt and shorts style.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    edited May 2015

I wear my Land's End MX tank w/o a foob and I'm a uniboober,,, there is so much padding for the shelf bra that you really can't tell I'm half flat. Not that my remaining breast is very large, but still,,,,  I find it really comfortable and it is one of the few tanks that you can buy "long waisted" which is what I need.

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited May 2015

I have two of the rash guard tees from lands end. I wear them flat. I have two small children and LE. They work great. No worries about getting exposed or burnt.

Try JC Penney for larger size suits. I found several there for a friend that were modest.

• floaton
    floaton Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2015

I'll second the lands end spf swim shirts - I wear these with a compression tank underneath for my truncal LE and they're great. The patterns make it so I can go half flat without it being too noticeable. My even more sensitive after chemo sensitive skin likes the sun protection. And I like not having to put on so much sunblock

• aunt_paula
    aunt_paula Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2015

Mommy2Six, I'm in the same boat (ha ha). I had BMX last year and didn't reconstruct, and want a suit that I can wear flat. I have a couple of old Lands' End suits I may try cutting the bras out of and see if I can make them work. If not, I'm considering trying the blouson tankini top from Lands' End, or the swim shirts (I also have lymphedema, and think they might be a good choice for that reason too). I hope you find something that works!

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited May 2015

A few years ago, I wrote a BreastFree Blog entry about my quest to find a swimsuit I felt good about after my bilateral mastectomy without reconstruction. The post is called Swimsuit Edition: BreastFree Style. I include lots of links to places that sell swimsuits, so you can check out some different ideas and styles. I'm not sure all of the smaller companies are still actively in business, but the websites are still there.

I particularly recommend checking out Hapari, which makes some suits they label as Mastectomy Friendly.

My experience with searching for swimsuits that work was heartening. Though I started out very discouraged, I wound up finding suits that are comfortable and look good. I wear them with unweighted foam forms -- heavier forms would definitely drag them down.

• Wendella
    Wendella Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2015

I chose one athletic bra type suit and another has ruffles at the top that hoes over the chest yo give the illusion of breasts.

• Mommy2Six
    edited May 2015

Y'all rock!
    Thanks so much for the fabulous suggestions! I ended up ordering a rash guard and board shorts online, and since they won't be here by tomorrow, I took the advice to check the work out section of department stores. I was able to get something that looks enough like swim wear that I won't be self conscious, but that doesn't have cups at all so I can go completely flat. (Since I have gone flat since my BMX 5 1/2 mos ago, I'd feel awkward showing up to a pool party wearing foobs. (Totally just my preference...no judgment at all toward women who rock the foobs full-time OR part-time!!!!)Aunt_Palua, I also have LE. High five! :/ lol

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2015

This is a 2 piece bikini style I wear. It lays totally flat. I use it to swim laps as well as beach/lake activities. Sometimes I wear a rash guard over it, but that is more to protect from the sun.

http://www.metroswimshop.com/product.DFN_6504L-254...

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited May 2015

Athleta brand also has some nice rashguards - as seen on EBAY. Some of their one piece suits have high neck too.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,812
    edited June 2015

Some really good ideas here! Keep sharing!

• Slappy-Squirrel
    Slappy-Squirrel Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2015

All the swimsuits have pockets for forms. I didn't get reconstruction and I just want a flat top swimsuit. Any ideas? Thanks!,

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,215
    edited June 2015

This suit from Athleta has no shelf bra from what I can tell. 

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=97463&vid=1&pid=439071002

You may have some luck with companies like this one that sell competition type suits:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/womens-competition-swimwear-c9327/

I am currently half flat with a 650cc implant on one side and found a one shouldered suit - genius.  At Marshalls for $13.99.

• floaton
    floaton Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2015

http://m.athleta.gap.com/product.html?dn=ap5490480...

Not sure if it's your style, but I think it's cute, and one of the reviews actually comments how there's no built in bra, so it should be comfy

SpecialK, great find! And I second the athletic swimwear. I've definately owned speedos with no shelf or paddingin the past.

• Mommy2Six
    edited June 2015

adorable!!!!

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited June 2015

Might not be your style, but that's a men's Speedo swim top and a pair of women's swim bottoms, both with 50+ sun protection.

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2015

I got a Nike water polo suit. I'm half flat and wear it for lap swimming. I love it!

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/nike-swim-jagged-geo-water-polo-tank-31545/?color=26352

• DRo84
    DRo84 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2015
  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,812
    edited October 2015

Great link DRo84!