We are 182,869 members in 80 forums discussing 138,995 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy → Topic: Is anyone going flat or living flat?

Topic: Is anyone going flat or living flat?

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: Feb 3, 2017 08:12AM - edited Feb 16, 2017 03:59PM by pabbie

pabbie wrote:

I had a right breast mastectomy in 2014. I've been living with one breast for three years, wearing a mastectomy bra & prosthetic. My left breast is a size D and hangs low and I get sweaty and rashes during the hot summer months.

I met with a PS but am not a good candidate for breast reconstruction because I've had surgeries on my stomach area, with radiation and chemo on my behind and part of my thighs because of color-rectal surgery 17 years ago.

I don't feel comfortable taking muscle from my back. I'm 59 years old.

I'm deciding on another mastectomy or breast reduction/lift from a D to a B. This might be a weird question but did anyone feel weird with the surgery being close to their heart?

Dx 2/6/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/23/2014, IDC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/23/2014 Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 2/5/2014 Femara (letrozole)

Page 2 of 2 (40 results)

Posts 31 - 40 (40 total)

Feb 17, 2017 02:30AM coraleliz wrote:

I've been flat for almost 6years now. I never really considered reconstruction. As a nurse, I had encountered breast cancer patients both with & without recon. I remember forgetting to ask my BS, prior to surgery, if my scars would be horizontal or diagonal. I didn't have a preference but I thought knowing would prepare me for the first look at my post-surgical chest. My surgical dressings fell off the night before my appt when she would have taken them off anyway. It looked like diagonal scars are suppose to look.

As for being flat, it still doesn't bother me. When I'm changing in the locker room a the gym, I do "surfer style" changing. I don't want to draw any attention to myself or be the topic of any conversation. I've never worn foobs or prostheses.

I usually wear a sports type bra. When shirts rub against my bare chest, it can feel strange. It's not painful but more annoying.

Dx 2/28/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/15/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/15/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Feb 17, 2017 09:05AM - edited Feb 17, 2017 09:10AM by Rebamacfan123

This Post was deleted by Rebamacfan123.

Feb 18, 2017 04:03AM - edited Feb 18, 2017 04:26AM by exbrnxgrl

As I said, I respect everyone's decision about what to do regarding recon or not. However, I'm just not into the put downs regardless of the choice one makes. I'm all for honesty but one can be honest without demeaning insults. I have never gone flat so wouldn't dream of telling anyone what it's like nor refer to them or their unreconstructed bodies disparagingly. For those who decide on recon, there is more going on than justlooking good in clothing. Pain? Yes, that can happen, but it's wrong to assume that happens to everyone. Let's support each other for our choices not put down those who chose differently. Sorry, you can scream frankenboobs in all caps, but that type of language supports no one. I have never understood those who must put others down to support their own choices and I thank the vast majority of you who do not feel compelled to put others down. I wish you all the best. ¡ Adiós y buenas suerte

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 18, 2017 04:58AM SuC wrote:

I have been flat for 3 years now, never wear prostheses (don't own them) and enjoy wearing clothes that I never could when I had boobs. Love hot weather when I don't have to wear a bra. No-one stares, no-one notices

Feb 18, 2017 09:21AM - edited Feb 18, 2017 09:32AM by Amapola36

To judge and disparage other women because they didn't choose what you chose helps no one. I hate the term Frankenboob (should I cap it? Haha). However, if you believe that after BC, we are not all "franken" in one way or another, let me disabuse you of that notion, my darling (pics of unreconstructed women abound...).

As for "everything but flat is fake"... well, the only "real" and "natural" thing would have been to let the cancer "have at us" and get no surgery. Everything else is contra natura. The second most natural and "real" thing would have been a lumpectomy, the third a single mastectomy and last, but most definitely, not least, a double mastectomy- specially in the case of amputating a healthy breast bc "they were too big for my body And they hurt". Now, not judging. I have no problems with elective surgery and, I most definitely have no problems with what other people do to their bodies because I am at peace and I love mine...but just a reminder about people living in glass houses and all that :)

Lisey, darling, I am only answering because it seems tha you like the attention and the confrontation (you get into fights all over this board, girl! Lol). So I am giving you some love so you can go about your day in a happy glow haha :)

Hugs always,

Oncotype score 16. Luminal A. Still landed in Chemo (CMF). Nothing but good times ahead! :) Dx 10/18/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 18, 2017 10:17AM Lisey wrote:

Love how you follow me to the non-recon board Amapola, let's start a relationship since you seem so drawn to follow me. This is a non-recon board where those of us who aren't reconstructed can expression our opinions about this topic. I'm backing up what another flattie said and am supporting her. Love to see how you keep trying to antagonize me... let it go. I'm blocking you.

Oncotype =20, ER 95%, PR 5%, ki67= 30%, Mammoprint = Low, Blueprint = Luminal A!!!! TEs= Iron Bra of Death - not worth all the complications for foobs that I'll never feel. Flat and fealess now. Dx 5/11/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 6/14/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/7/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 7/14/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 18, 2017 05:32PM - edited Feb 18, 2017 05:34PM by Rebamacfan123

This Post was deleted by Rebamacfan123.

15 hours ago - edited 14 hours ago by Amapola36

Lisey, the only way to stop online bullies is to confront them with facts and, as elegantly as possible, without insults or name calling.

Since I joined this board in October I have seen you start numerous squabbles (I love that word! haha). You insult, demean, name-call and scare women into submission just because they didn't choose to go flat, are having trouble with Tamoxifen, get chemo or choose not to get chemo, are scared about losing their insurance, are having a hard time getting time off for surgeries or chemo (they want "hand downs" and should go back to work the day after a mastectomy) were voting for a candidate not to your liking etc. So no, you do not limit your insults/name calling to the "no reconstruction" board, you do it all over the forum and it's about time someone called you on it, darling.

Hope you reconsider the way you communicate with others, specially with other women who are already scared and going through a very hard time. The same things, said with kindness, respect and without degrading insults would go a long way.

Pabbie, I am trully sorry to have hijacked your thread with this unpleasantness :(

Hugs and best wishes,

Oncotype score 16. Luminal A. Still landed in Chemo (CMF). Nothing but good times ahead! :) Dx 10/18/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

11 hours ago pabbie wrote:

No worries. This is a photo I took today on my morning walk.
Dx 2/6/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/23/2014, IDC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/23/2014 Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 2/5/2014 Femara (letrozole)

7 hours ago - edited 7 hours ago by hsant

Post a replyReport this Post

Feb 7, 2017 07:27AM ravzari wrote:

"Being flat has been amazing; no bra needed ever again, no underboob sweat, no shoulder pain, no upper back pain, no tension headaches from lugging the big things around (even inside of a bra), I can't say there has ever been a single second that I've missed having breasts. No plans to ever wear a bra again or get fitted for prosthetics. I love having them gone and have never been as comfortable physically and mentally as I am without them.The idea of having prosthetic or reconstructed ones back is just one big 'LOL NOPE!" for me. :D"

Ravzari, you're so cute! Your comment about no underboob sweat had me loling. It's so true. A little perk if one opts to go flat.

Just want to say that whether someone opts for recon or opts to go flat is a very, very personal choice. There is no right or wrong. When I first joined this community, I was grateful for all the positive and informative information I received regarding a BMX with out recon. We are all in this together. No need for any negativity. Cancer is negative enough in and of itself.

Pabbie, I could've had a lumpectomy, but I was concerned about the radiation treatments being so close to my heart and lungs. I don't believe there is any risk regarding your heart with respect to mastectomy.

Beautiful pic

Dx 5/10/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 6/11/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 7/1/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 2 of 2 (40 results)