We are 205,941 members in 81 forums discussing 148,893 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy → Topic: How have you adjusted to being Half Flat?

Topic: How have you adjusted to being Half Flat?

Forum: Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy — Discuss prostheses, swimsuits, bras, and other options for women not having reconstruction or waiting for reconstruction.

Posted on: Jan 10, 2018 04:07AM

sm627 wrote:

Dear Half Flat Sisters,

My name is Sara I am 33 years old and I have been living the Half Flat life for about 6 months now. My BS told me i can have reconstruction if i want to, but I am not sure if I want to have something not real on my body. I would like to know what your experiences have been like only having one breast? How have you emotionally felt about it and what are the physical pros and cons to only having one boob in the long term?

Thank you for sharing your stories with me reading what you have gone through will help me decide on if I want to continue being half flat.

Hugs and Love,

Sara

Diagnosed at 32. DX 5/30/2017 Borderline Phyllodes Tumor 17cm. Surgery 6/27/2017 Mastectomy(right). Hormonal Therapy 9/25/2017 Tamoxifen

Page 3 of 3 (65 results)

Posts 61 - 65 (65 total)

Apr 30, 2018 10:40PM Cpeachymom wrote:

somewhere- I can understand where you’re coming from. I guess as long as you are open upfront about it, it shouldn’t come as a surprise. And nothing says you have to get “completely” undressed. Sexy nighties, or bras, or negligees can help. Lights off can help too. That is of course being upfront first. Hope this helps

39 at Dx. Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.' The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.' Dx 6/21/2017, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/5/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/11/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 9/18/2017 Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Apr 30, 2018 11:32PM cccmc2 wrote:

thank you for your response! I am seeing the surgeon tomororw afternoon!

Dx 3/30/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 4/9/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy

May 14, 2018 05:11AM virginiab wrote:

Thanks to this thread, I have just ordered from Tatas to Go. I am less than three weeks post mastectomy and have found that wearing a soft form in a sports bra provdes comforting pressure on my chest. But the fiberfill form rides up. The microbead form rides up a bit less but in a reasonably snug sports bra it looks like a bagel with no hole. I think the heavier beads in the Tatas model may work better. I certainly hope so!

I have also ordered a few new t-shirts with busy multicolor floral designs to distract from my uneven breasts. I remind myself that I have never had breasts that matched in size.... although they did hang similarly -- an effect I have not yet achieved with a prosthesis.

Virginia Surgery 6/13/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/19/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/25/2012 Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/21/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 1/16/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Mastectomy: Right

May 16, 2018 04:59AM MexicoHeather wrote:

Cccmc2: Here's something to consider: radiation. It smoothed out my scar! It turns out to help sermons. My scar looks so smooth now.
Dios es Amor. Dx 10/1/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/4/2016 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Surgery 12/4/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 1/18/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 5/9/2017 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 10/9/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 19, 2018 07:36AM sm627 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it has been a while since I have written. It has been a rough last couple of months with many loved ones passing away.

I hope your recovery from your Mastectomy is going as smoothly as it can under the circumstances. Sending you all lots of Love and gentle Hugs!

Raque510: Thank you so much for sharing how your breast reduction surgery went how are you doing now? I'm so glad that you were able to get the reduction that you wanted. Are things healing well?

cccmc2: How are you doing was your surgeon able to fix the sermons?

I've been using Knitted Knockers and finding them to be very comfortable. Next Tuesday I'm getting fitted for my mastectomy bras and prostheses, so it will be interesting to compare it with how the knitted knocker feels.

Wishing you all the best

Hugs,

Sara

Diagnosed at 32. DX 5/30/2017 Borderline Phyllodes Tumor 17cm. Surgery 6/27/2017 Mastectomy(right). Hormonal Therapy 9/25/2017 Tamoxifen

Page 3 of 3 (65 results)