Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Would you like to donate your used prosthesis?

Options

Hello friends,

My aunt in the Caribbean is the head of the cancer society on her island. She is also a cancer survivor. She told me that it is very difficult for cancer survivor to get prostheses after surgery. I told her I would donate my old prostheses to her. My insurance pays for new ones every 2 years so I have an old pair in my closet. I am looking for other prosthesis that I can donate to the Dominica Cancer Society. Please tell me if you have any.

Thanks!

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,904
    Options

Thanks, burntsienna. This sounds like a very worthy cause. Indeed, women in many areas of the world have difficulty accessing things like protheses that are ample in other countries. We appreciate your work to help others!

• Misswats
    Misswats Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have a set that I’ve been trying to find a place to donate. I would love to donate to your aunt. Please let me know where I should ship them.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,863
    Options

I have one..... single. And it’s a c cup comparison size. I would gladly give it up in a second. I only had one breast removed. But would help anyone if I could.

• moderators
    Options

Thank you everyone for your kindness and generosity! It means so much to those who need it most!

• Misswats
    Misswats Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi,

Where do we send our donations?

T

• moderators
    Options

Dear Members,

We are trying to find more information on where to send donations. We will post a link when we secure such.

The Mods

• moderators
    Options

Dear Members,

We reached out to the Dominica Cancer Society and this is the address that we were given for donations: Thanks for your patience as we work to update some of the links and resources associated with this topic.

The Mods

Dominica Cancer Society

30 McIntyre Lane

Goodwill

Commonwealth of Dominica

• moderators
    Options

Dear Members,

We created a list of organizations that accept donations. You can find it in the FreeCycle forum . We hope that it if helpful.

The Mods

• malbright
    malbright Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have 5 prosthesis from my mothers closets. We are cleaning out her house, although she is still living. She just turned 93.

How can I get these to you?

I called our local area in Greensboro/ Winston area of NC and they no longer take them.

Surely some poor country can use these.

Marlene

Edited by Mods to remove personally identifiable information.

• burntsienna
    burntsienna Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello everyone,

I am so sorry that I missed your messages. Thank you so much for your responses. I wasn't sure that anyone would reply and forgot my password. I just reset it today. Yes please donate the supplies to the Dominica Cancer Society as indicated by the moderators. I really appreciate it.

Dominica Cancer Society

30 McIntyre Lane

Goodwill

Commonwealth of Dominica

Thanks,

burntsienna

• Mamaparks
    Mamaparks Member Posts: 1
    Options

My grandmother just passed away and has a very nice pair, they are hardly used as she didnt wear them much over the last few years. I didnt want to just toss them out, so if your aunt could find others to use them just tell me where to send them! Thanks! christina

• moderators
    Options

Hi Mamaparks and welcome,

We are so sorry to hear of your loss, and we appreciate your efforts to donate! As indicated above, we have a list of resources for donations. Please refer to this list:

Resources for Donating your Bras and Prostheses

We hope this helps and thanks again!

--The Mods

• Pwood112
    Pwood112 Member Posts: 1
    Options

My aunt passed away and had a prosthetic breast. I would like to donate. Where should I send it.

• moderators
    Options

Pwood112, could you perhaps reach out to where your aunt received treatment, and see if the nurses have someone who could benefit? We are terribly sorry for your loss.

Medicating the Mods

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,591
    Options

What a great topic and resource. There is an organization called Knitted Knockers and they will give a prosthesis (or 2) to anyone who asks. I've made a few for them. They have patterns and videos if you are a knitter or crocheter. Their website is www.knitterknockers.org

• whentoknit
    whentoknit Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello, I am trying to see if there are any donation centers in the US that would accept Breast Prosthesis and mastectomy bras.

• whentoknit
    whentoknit Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello, I am trying to find any donation centers that will accept breast prosthesis and mastectomy bras.

• nancyregg
    nancyregg Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have some prosthesis I would like to donate

• DianaLMay
    DianaLMay Member Posts: 1
    Options

hello! I have been looking for somewhere to donate my prostheses. I have two sets. One is Truelife impressions, the kind that are made to be lighter, size 100-10, triangle shape. I have another pair that are brand ABC and are sizes 9 and 10. All are in good shape. Please let me know if anyone would like them. Thank

• moderators
    Options

Hi all --

We appreciate your efforts to donate! As indicated above, we have a list of resources for donations. Please refer to this list:
    Resources for Donating your Bras and Prostheses

We hope this helps and thanks again!

--The Mods

• Pesantezn
    Pesantezn Member Posts: 3
    Options

HI Diana,

If you still have the size 9 or 10 prothesis, I would be very interested, mine just broke and I do not have insurance,

Thank you so much

• Pesantezn
    Pesantezn Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi,

where would you recommend that i can look for used prothesis?

thank you