Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Did you remove implants & go flat? How was recovery?

rbc
rbc Member Posts: 16

I had dbl mx w dti on Christmas Eve 2022 after a synchronous bilateral recurrence/new tumour of heterogenous IDC. My implants are bigger than I wanted (200cc of tissue removed, 300cc implanted) and just super uncomfortable, tops don't fit anymore, its harder to do the sports I like, and to he frank they look matronly. I just want them out. My recoveries from previous surgeries (3 lumpectomies prior to the dbl mx) were painful recoveries w complications (necrosis, nipple loss, seromas).

How was your recovery after explant? Aesthetically what did it look like?

I'm 49yo & generally fit.

Thanks!!

(originally posted in Breast Reconstruction forum but decided this was a better location)

Comments

• prairiedweller
    prairiedweller Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2022

I don't have any words to help, but would just like to follow this thread. I have a rupture after having implants after 8.5 years and I'm considering going flat.

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    edited June 2022

Sorry to hear you have a rupture. What are your symptoms?

I had a right SMX in Oct 2020, with 650cc implant, then left SMX in Dec 2021 and had 430cc implants placed on both sides. Was happy to go smaller, but my left implant is uncomfortable. I don't see my PS until September, so I'm giving it time to heal. But it it doesn't improve I'd consider going flat on both sides.

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 184
    edited August 2022

hello sweetie I was diagnosed at 42 treatment completed at 43yrs old while planning our 2nd marriages. Idc stage2 0/3 nodes 3mo chemo before after L mast with reconstruction had one filling in expander then its hardened rushed to ER by then fiance now husband with high fever it was removed my body rejected it as a foreign object 3 mo chemo after got married then 7wks rads and 5 yrs on Tamoxifen. Wear prosthesis in my bras bathing suits no problems. Praise God a 28yr Survivor this yr. Was meant to go as it did im on this site and another ti go me back and Inspire those going thru. Wrote book bout experience but not aloud to mention on this site but have help others with my entire story even and woman that called to say I save her life as she was contemplating suicide till she got my book got her thru gave her Hope. msphil

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited August 2022

I explanted with AFC after having saline implants for 11+yrs and am now flat and LOVING it!

Recovery for me has been so much easier than when I had the bi-lateral mastectomy, even easier than the exchange surgery.

I know everyone is different, but for me this has been so much easier. I feel so much healthier and actually feel like me again. Did not recognize how much the implants were affecting my mental health, so glad they are gone.

• lifegoeson
    lifegoeson Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2022

I had implants for 11 years and explanted them 2 years ago when they became really uncomfortable. The recovery from the explant was much easier than the recovery from my bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. I'm very happy I had the implants removed.

• maureen1
    maureen1 Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2022

Hello Sisters! I had a bilateral mastectomy and direct to silicone implant reconstruction in 2013. One of my implants has ruptured so I need to have them removed and I am considering going flat. Can you share your experiences going flat...and any recommendations for a plastic surgeon in Michigan? Thanks so much! Maureen1

• chansbreastjourney
    chansbreastjourney Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2022

I'm so thankful to hear others stories. I have a unique one... I had double mastectomy with recon about 7-8 years ago and just found out my implants have been recalled. Then as I dug into it... found out that there is such a thing as breast implant illness which I have quite a few of the symptoms. Can I ask, how do you feel after having the implants removed? I'm contemplating getting rid of them for good! Of course its already been an emotional journey like is expected and any words of encouragement is incredibly appreciated. Obviously I want truth and not sugar coating. Thanks and blessings!

• chansbreastjourney
    chansbreastjourney Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2022

I dont see that you got any feedback from your comment? I'm in a similar situation, mine didn't rupture but were recalled. I'm considering the same thing. Can I ask what you had done or if youre still deciding?

I really want to talk to others who have removed them and how they feel about being flat - and if there are bras or tank tops out there that give you some shape over a flat chest

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,811
    edited November 2022

Hi chansbreastjourney,

We're so sorry to hear what you're going through.

We definitely suggest that you talk with your doctor about it, and your symptoms.

You may want to read here; What is breast implant illness as well as our special report on it HERE.

It's a difficult decision, but discussing with your doctor will hopefully help guide what is best for your situation.

We're here for you !

The Mods

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    edited February 2023

Hi Mods - how do you know if you have breast implant illness, can attribute your symptoms to other conditions (autoimmune),medications (AI drug) or something else?