Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

25 days post BMX - still having some fluid under the empty space

Options

Had bilateral mastectomy on Sept 13 with no reconstruction, stiches are all healed, all good. But there is some fluid underneath my breast skin where the tissue got removed. Surgeon gave me an option to drain them. But oncologist said not to, because it will collect again. Did anyone experience same? If yes, how did it eventually dry? I read that we need to keep compression binders on, or hot packs. I had binders for 2 weeks. Should I keep using them? Thank you

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I didn't use compression and all the swelling and fluid eventually went away. It just gets reabsorbed by your body. Ask your doctor if they think you should be wearing compression or using hot packs! Everybody is different and somebody who can actually examine you is the best person to ask for treatment recommendations.
  • rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited October 2022
    Options

Panku3 I had a rather larger seroma post surgery as well. My surgeon was the person that directed how to treat it (for me spot compression for 3 weeks worked well) rather than my Onc. I used medical grade abdominal pads inserted into my post surgical compression bra for the additional spot compression. Hope it resolves for you quickly

• sarahnh
    sarahnh Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2023
    Options

panku3 If you are still on these boards, could you tell us how your post-BMX fluid issue resolved?

I had the same thing (fluid under the skin after BMX, but not enough for the nurse to call it a real seroma). The fluid was gone within a month. But it was replaced with mild swelling, which has not resolved, even 4 months post surgery.

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 209
    edited March 2023
    Options

I also had fluid that stayed with me quite awhile afterwards. Upwards of about 3 months or more. Neither my surgeon or my onc were worried about it. It did finally go away, but it took it's sweet time about it.

• sarahnh
    sarahnh Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2023
    Options

Thank you kotchaj! Did all the swelling associated with the fluid go away, or were you left with some permanent residual swelling?

My swelling is minimal, I guess? But noticeable, because my ribs are prominent. It is just around the drain location.

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 209
    edited March 2023
    Options

sarahnh,

It's all gone now. It took an extremely long time to do so, though. I'd say at least 6 months. My drain hole was sore as can be for awhile, too. It's right along where your bra hits around your chest. I did do some lymphatic massage drainage to help move it. Not that it was in my lymph nodes, but I was desperate to get it got, lol. It did help some, too. It will go away, but not as quickly as you want it to:-)

• trippositive
    trippositive Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2023
    Options

I had to have my implants taken out. I am left with one breast that is super deforme. It is tight to my chest, hard under the skin, the middle of the breast is concave. My left one seems to have some fluid or something going on under the skin. Has anyone had the tightness, hardness and deformity?

• trippositive
    trippositive Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi kotchaj, What is lymphatic massage? I tried to look it up but didn’t find much info.