We are 157,856 members in 80 forums discussing 124,895 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: color of cyst fluid importance?

Topic: color of cyst fluid importance?

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES. You are encouraged to seek advice from a medical professional in the event of any concerns.

Posted on: Mar 6, 2007 03:55AM

naturegirl wrote:

Well I had my biopsy (mammotome) this morning. Of course I was hoping for a simple drain it and go home but that didn't happen. He tried to drain it, said he got some but needed to remove the tissue etc.. When I asked him later what the color of the fluid was he said color didn't matter. Hmmmmmmmmm, everything I've read says it does. So is he just calming my worry by answering that way or is it true? So I'm back to the waiting game but I'm over my first hurdle. For anyone getting ready for this type of biopsy it's really a piece of cake. I was really nervous but my technician was great and it was just not a problem. Waiting for the tests/results is truly the worst of all this.
Thanks again for any input on cyst fluid color.
I'll keep you posted. Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Mar 6, 2007 04:01AM jpann39 wrote:

I will hope for good results for you....how long did they tell you this will take??
I cant answer your question about the color but will be interesting to read this post....
Take Care
Jule
'Gain strength by the positive and don't be sapped by the negative" Dx 11/4/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 6, 2007 04:21AM naturegirl wrote:

Hi Jule,
He said I could call late tomorrow but I would be shocked if the results were in by then.
I wonder if I had been more direct in my questioning, maybe just asked if it was bloody? Guess I'll find out soon enough.
I too am anxious to hear what others have to say about it.
Take care.

Mar 6, 2007 04:30AM jpann39 wrote:

Im sure you will have your results tomarrow, when they did my core needle biopsy I had the results in two days and I dont think this would be much different....

Im sure someone will come along soon who will have more information about the coloring....
'Gain strength by the positive and don't be sapped by the negative" Dx 11/4/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 7, 2007 02:25AM janetc wrote:

Everything I've read say's bloody is not good. HOWEVER, I had a needle aspiration of a cyst two weeks ago, it was bloody, and my results were benign. Good Luck to you, and remember 99% of cysts are benign

Mar 7, 2007 09:57AM leaf wrote:

Dr. Love's book says cyst fluid can be of almost ANY color, including milky. She said most experts throw away the cyst fluid. She doesn't recommend getting the cyst fluid tested as she says the results aren't dependable - they don't mean much, and its expensive.

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR- Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen in pill form (brand names: Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM))

Mar 7, 2007 12:56PM naturegirl wrote:

It seems the more I read the more confused I get
The results just can't get here soon enough for me, thanks for your input

Mar 7, 2007 12:57PM naturegirl wrote:

thanks leaf, the longer I have to wait the more worried I get! I should know results soon.
Thanks much.

Mar 8, 2007 12:37PM janetc wrote:

my needle aspiration tested negative, but I still have the cyst/lump. Are my benign results irrelavent? Is testing the fluid really a waste of $ and inaccurate? My o.b. suggested I may want to have the lump removed, but thought it was a waste.

Jane

Jane

Mar 8, 2007 01:35PM VickiTN wrote:

Jane,
My belief (as well as many others here) is that the only good lump is one that's in a jar. If it were me, I'd have the lump removed. At least that way you won't have to worry about it any more.

Best wishes to you,
hugs,
vicki

Mar 9, 2007 07:49AM leaf wrote:

I agree that the only good lump is one that's in a jar. But if you got it aspirated, then I don't understand it being a lump. If its fluid filled, would it be a cyst? Is it still a lump after it has been aspirated? Or maybe you have both a cyst and a lump, or they weren't able to aspirate it completely or something? I'm confused.

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR- Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen in pill form (brand names: Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM))

Mar 9, 2007 08:00AM janetc wrote:

I don't really know, I'm hoping someone may be able to enlighten me. They aspirated the cyst, but it was still there afterward, just smaller. When I told my doctor, he suggested it was a hematoma. However, the lump was back to it's original size in just a matter of days. I'm confident it's a cyst, but I thought they were supposed to collapse after aspiration. Because the fluid was benign, I am afraid my doctor is going to think I'm a headcase if I ask anymore questions. Any advice?

Jane

Mar 9, 2007 09:54AM dlrcpa wrote:

Jane and Naturegirl. If a cyst is troublesome, please take it seriously. I had a cyst that aspirated bloody twice. I was taking Coumadin (blood thinner) and did not think much of this but my OB/GYN convinced me to have a needle biopsy (sort of inconclusive) and then to have it removed. In my case the cyst turned out to be IDC, and I bless my OB/GYN for being a nag. I realize everyone is different, but at the least you should be monitoring it regularly. My radiologist was able to show me the difference in the cyst wall between the first and later set of pictures. Over time, the cyst wall thickened and she felt that was indicative of the IDC happening. It is possible to have a breast MRI that can give some more information in determinining if this is a problem or not. I'm not trying to frighten or alarm you, just speaking from experience. If your doctor does not seem to take it seriously or satisfy your questions enough to give you peace of mind, please consult another doctor. Good luck and hoping you stay well -- Donna in VA.

Donna in VA