We are 156,500 members in 80 forums discussing 123,871 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Size of lump??

Topic: Size of lump??

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. Posting pictures of symptoms is NOT recommended - you are encouraged to seek advice from a medical professional in the event of any concerns.

Posted on: Oct 19, 2007 06:07AM, edited Oct 19, 2007 06:07AM by Lorrae

Lorrae wrote:

I just have a question I posted previously that I have a 5mm-6mm lump which was seen on ultrasound but not on mammogram.  My question is for any ladies who might know does the size of the lump if breast cancer normally correlate to lyph node involvement ie does a small mass have less chance of having spread??  I go to a breast clinic on the 30th October for further testing. Just my GP said any size breast cancer can have spread but my research on the net says smaller the cancer the less chance of node involvement.

Thanks Lorrae.

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Oct 19, 2007 10:48AM flash wrote:

Waiting and wondering is the hardest time.  Remember, it isn't  cancer until you get the biopsy. Ultrasound can show size, shape well but it is also lacking some detail information.

You're dealing with statistics which is dealing with a large population group. It may not apply to you. Yes, the bigger the statistical chance but there are exceptions too and it also depends on type. It's tough waiting for the answers but you unfortunately right now are caught in the waiting game.

If you find you are anxious and it's affecting your life you need to speak with your gp and see if he can help you with anxiety.

multifocal multicentric IDC, DCIS, pagets et al. - er+,pr+ her2+++, mast,chemo, ooph, hyst Dx 10/10/2007, Paget's, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 19, 2007 01:44PM yarrowfern wrote:

Hi Lorrae,  As flash said, waiting and wondering is the hardest part.  My cancer was only a 7mm lump....... I found it and had it removed.  Of course it was cancer but it didn't go into the lymph nodes.  I think another factor is the agressiveness of the cancer which of course cannot be determined untill the biopsy/lumpectomy.  I believe in general, the lower the grade (in general slow vs fast growing) the less likely it is to have spread.  This is really just very general info. 

I hated waiting for results.  After I had them, it was great to be able to take control by making treatment plans.  In the meantime, take care of yourself.  Get plenty of sleep (even if you need a sleep aid) eat good high quality food and try not to worry too much!

Oct 19, 2007 04:39PM nash wrote:

Your GP is correct. Aggressive tumors like HER2 positive tumors and grade 3 tumors are more likely to have spread to the lymph nodes even when small than less aggressive tumors. Don't worry about anything yet until you know for sure what you're dealing with.

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Dx June 2007, age 38, Stage IIa 2.7 cm pleomorphic ILC, ER+/PR+ HER2-, CAFx6, rads, Tamox, Zometa, Oncotype 18 Dx 6/7/2007, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 07/19/2007 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my left breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Sentinel lymph node removal (also called dissection) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast radiation Chemotherapy CAF: Cytoxan, Adriamycin, and fluorouracil (different doses than FAC) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen in pill form (brand names: Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM))

Oct 19, 2007 10:09PM Beesie wrote:

Lorrae,

As the others have said, it's both the size and the aggressiveness of the tumor that determines the likelihood that it might have spread.  But, having said that, it's way too early for you to be worrying about whether you have lymph node involvement.  At this point, all you know is that you have a very small lump in your breast that's visible on an ultrasound but not a mammogram.  There are lots of benign causes for lumps - cysts, fatty deposits, fibroadenomas are a few things that it could be.  Hopefully your lump is one of these things.  Even if you are sent for a biopsy, 80% of biopsies turn out to be benign.  I know that it's impossible not to worry, but please don't make it harder on yourself by thinking of all the worst-case possibilities.  At this point, the greater likelihood is that you don't have breast cancer. 

Good luck with the additional testing.  Here's hoping for totally benign results!

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage IA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke