We are 159,235 members in 80 forums discussing 125,858 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: odor and breast cancer

Topic: odor and breast cancer

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES. You are encouraged to seek advice from a medical professional in the event of any concerns.

Posted on: Jan 21, 2010 11:50AM, edited Jan 22, 2010 07:06AM by Celestec

Celestec wrote:

Best, Best wishes to everyone out there.  I have a question regarding breast odor.  My sister was just diagnosed with breast cancer and  she mentioned that several months ago, while at the gym, she had noticed a horrible smell coming from her breast (in her bra).  She had initially thought it was coming from the person next to her actually. I was shocked because I myself have noticed the same smell in my sweaty bra at the gym, (we go to different gyms - it's not the gym).  I had noticed the smell months ago and it is always there when I sweat.  It is not a sweat smell.  It is a horrible smell, like a dead rat unfortunately.  I know many people, and dogs, can detect cancer odors. I will get myself checked out but I was wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience? Did you notice an offensive odor on your clothing, in your bra, your body, or anywhere else for that matter  that was not sweat or due to something you ate? 
Thanks so much everyone.  Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jan 21, 2010 12:37PM smithlme wrote:

I didn't have a bad smell in my bra but I did under my left arm, which is the side my first breast cancer was found. It would also get extremely itchy at times. My Onc told me the itching might have been my lymph nodes, as they were trying to fight off the cancer. One of my nodes was 2.4cm, but, luckily, it was clear of cancer.

Have you spoken with your doctor and when was your last mammogram? When in doubt, have it checked out...

Linda

Dx 3/31/08, DCIS, ER+/PR- BRCA2+...I am NOT a survivor...I am a 2X breast cancer A$$ kicker! Dx 3/28/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jan 21, 2010 01:43PM Celestec wrote:

Thanks Linda. I have to have myself checked out. Stay well!

Jan 21, 2010 01:53PM CrunchyPoodleMama wrote:

I didn't, but mine was DCIS, not invasive, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I have three dogs and when I was in the worried stage, I would sometimes embrace them close and see if they seemed to smell anything... they didn't... but again, I'm not sure if cancer-sensing animals are only in tune with it if it's invasive or what.

Hopefully yours will turn out to be nothing... maybe you and your sister happened to have some spicy food a while back that caused an odor when you perspired (and it was very noticeable coming from the breasts because breasts sweat a LOT when you work out, at least mine do). You'll feel so much better once you get it checked out! Please keep us posted!

Julia ~ Dear friends, do what you can to help your body fight/prevent cancer. 1. Supplement with iodine and vitamin D. 2. STOP taking hormonal birth control/HRT. 3. Eat organic real food, not chemical or fake food. Dx 11/13/2009, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+