We are 162,694 members in 80 forums discussing 128,027 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Cyst in Breast may have burst...Scared

Topic: Cyst in Breast may have burst...Scared

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES FOR DIAGNOSTIC PURPOSES. You are encouraged to seek advice from a medical professional in the event of any concerns.

Posted on: Oct 18, 2010 02:33PM

hogwood10 wrote:

I have had a huge lump in my left breast for over 4 years now...went to the hospital approximately 8 months ago and the Dr. that felt it explained that while it didn't feel attached I should have it removed right away...without insurance, I chose not to do so...this morning, my left breast began hurting almost as if I had just given birth and needed to breast feed (the best way I can describe it)...now, the lump has gotten smaller in size, but that breast is burning and I am in a lot of pain...can anyone tell me if this means that the cyst has burst and/or what I should do?  Keep in mind I have no insurance...

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Oct 18, 2010 03:00PM dlb823 wrote:

For heaven's sake, have it checked out!  It's totally impossible to tell what's going on from a verbal description, but I can't believe you've let something as concerning as a breast lump go for 4 years.  I'm curious, were you advised 8 mos. ago  to have it out without any tests, just based on observation and feel alone?  Or did you have a mammogram and an u/s at that time?  Normally, a doctor, especially a surgeon, will recommend a biopsy to see what's going on.  Were you ever referred to a surgeon?

I understand that you have no insurance, but you can (1)  See a doctor (preferably a breast surgeon) who can at least tell you which test(s) he/she recommends to diagnose the  problem.  Whether you have insurance or not, you can normally make payment arrangements for the balance over a year, and the fees are often discounted by about 30% when you don't have insurance.  In some states (at least in CA), there are programs to help even after that balance reduction.  (2) Seek help from organizations that have programs to make testing available to women who do not have insurance or the means to pay out of pocket.  Susan B. Komen comes to mind.  Look them up on-line and call them.  Or look in your phonebook for the nearest American Cancer Society office and ask them for some direction. 

If you had a huge subcutaneous cyst, it may still need to be drained.  If it's something more onimous, you need to know that ASAP.   Good luck, and please don't let this go another day without taking action.    Deanna

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Oct 18, 2010 03:05PM eileen1955 wrote:

This is not going to go away on its own. Even w/o insurance you need to take action. I believe you are at risk for Mastitis (inflammation of breast tissue).  You might get a fever if there is infection.     It would be so much easier if you could get medical care b/c an infection.   Mastitis can be nasty and difficult to treat.

If the cyst had been drained 8 months ago then this would not have happened. I understand the harsh reality of no insurance.     But you are risking a lot more medical bills if you don't get seen now.

Your description of your breasts feeling like milk let-down after birth is classic.  Fluid is building up in your breast b/c it has no where to go. That fluid is at risk for infection; and there are loads of blood vessels and lymphatic drains in breast tissue.            Call the "RN oncall" from a friend's insurance card.  Pretend you are them.  

Dx 10/28/2003, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Oct 18, 2010 03:37PM , edited Oct 18, 2010 04:01PM by Bren-2007

Call your local health department and ask about the Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening program in your area.  They will provide a free mammogram, and if further treatment is required, medicaid will pay for it.

This program is funded through the CDC and administered by each state.  I was uninsured as well (I'm self-employed) and was able to be treated through this program.

Let us know how you are doing.

Oct 18, 2010 07:37PM CoolBreeze wrote:

My first thought was mastitis too.  I have never heard of a cyst bursting before.  I have had cysts my entire adult life too, and never had them drained until after I had cancer.

Whatever it is, I agree with the women who say to get it looked at.  Every community has a free health clinic and whille they aren't the most fantastic places to go, you can get medical help there.  Also, doctors do take cash payments - my primary care doctor charges 80.00 for an ininsured patient.  That sounds like a lot of money if you don't have it, but it can get much worse, trust me.

Good luck, I hope it's something easily cleared up wtih antibiotics.

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+