We are 157,823 members in 80 forums discussing 124,873 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Fibroadenoma is larger, painful

Topic: Fibroadenoma is larger, painful

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES. You are encouraged to seek advice from a medical professional in the event of any concerns.

Posted on: Apr 3, 2012 05:59AM, edited Apr 3, 2012 06:00AM by rocksteady14

rocksteady14 wrote:

Hi, all; I've referenced this site throughout the last year or so, but this is my first post.  Summer '10 I found a lump in my left breast, but as I was beginning my Masters Degree, I put off getting it checked until November 2010.  Doctor ordered an ultrasound, and a core needle biopsy was performed.  The lump was diagnosed as a fibroadenoma.  My doctor instructed me to have a mammogram performed in June 2011 as a check-up, but imaging dept said that was incorrect and performed another ultrasound (although Dr. ordered mammo).  The fibroadenoma did not bother me much, just the occassional ache and it never acted up during my menstrual cycle, but last night the pain was excruciating.  I was going to sleep, and as I turned onto my stomach, my left breast felt like something was tearing inside, and the pain was centered around the lump.  I had to take 400mg of Ibuprofen to get comfortable enough to sleep, but today it is throbbing, and I cannot tell if the shape of my breast is different or if I'm over-reacting.  I called the gynecologist and I'm going in tomorrow for a check-up. 

Have any of you experienced similar pain with a fibroadenoma?

For reference, I'm 23.

Thanks in advance, and I'm grateful to have found this community!

Posts 1 - 13 (13 total)

Apr 3, 2012 07:25AM Sommer43 wrote:

Hi there,

I did have pain with a fibraodenoma, despite being told many times, that they are painless and harmless.  I have just had one removed, which is a complex one.

As you're going for a check up tomorrow, then I would make sure all your concerns are shared with your doctor.  You're not over reacting at all, you're in pain and you need to know why. 

Apr 3, 2012 07:41AM Sherrie1964 wrote:

Hello,

I had a fibroadenoma about the size of an egg removed when I was 18.  I remember there were times when it was very painful and other times when I felt nothing at all.  You absolutely should follow up and don't stop until you feel absolutely comfortable with the answers you receive from your doctors.

Dx 5/16/2008, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

Apr 3, 2012 01:30PM rocksteady14 wrote:

Thanks so much for your help.  I have experienced soreness, but never that ripping, excruciating pain.

I'm writing down everything before the doctor and bring the notes with me.

Thanks! 

May 11, 2012 08:00PM luluwamama wrote:

@ rocksteady14, what did your doctor say regarding the pain in your breast fibro adenoma?

Im 32 and was diagnosed with a 2cm fibro adenoma about 2 months ago. Was told they are not supposed to be painful but whenever ovulation is taking place, My breast becomes tender and painful that am tempted to stay without a bra so its not touched. I have also noticed the shape of my left breast(where the fibro adenoma is) is slightly different.

Is this normal? Somebody Please help.

Thanks,

Lulu 

May 12, 2012 09:43AM Sommer43 wrote:

Hi Lulu

With FA's, it is usual that they are painful around ovulation as your body is releasing more estrogen, which is what fuels fibroadenomas, therefore, as much research will tell you, (like many people believe that breast cancer is not painful is not painful, there are many women who have experienced pain) it is a myth.  Pain is an individual experience and I had pain with mine, even though I didn't know I had one.  But the pain is what took me to the doctors.  Otherwise, I would never have known.  If it is troubling you, then go and get it looked at again. 

Always best to get these things checked out! 

May 15, 2012 03:21AM CatMac81 wrote:

Sommer - Did you have your removed? What happened there after? I thought Fibroadenomas were not considered cancer? I have pain my breasts around ovulation and sometimes from ovulation till my period comes. It is dull aching in my breast and sometimes a burning sensation.....then my arm pit starts burning and newly my groin....basically at my wits end here with the symptoms, going on Wednesday for a mammo....super concerned :(

May 15, 2012 05:15AM Sommer43 wrote:

Hi catmac

I did have my fibroadenoma removed.  However, I did not know that I had one.  Until I was checked out, I opted for removal, because of my age, anxiety of leaving it in. 

I still have pain, which has now been called a fat necrosis, a hard lump that has been ultra sounded, and am told it is benign.  My breast clearly did not like the invasion and am on a follow up to monitor the necrosis.  Not sure why, as everything I have read on necrosis is benign and the body reabsorbs necrosis.

Fibroadenomas, cannot turn cancerous, however, cancer can develop in them, like any other tissue.  So, they are a benign condition.  They are harmless, and can be left and usually are in younger women, unless they are problematic.  Fibroadenomas are moveable, often called breast mice, and are very distinctive in shape and appearance. The margins are very defined, not irregular. 

Good luck for Wednesday. 

May 15, 2012 06:44AM CatMac81 wrote:

thank you for sharing your info Sommer....I am hoping that my visit Wednesday will bring some answers and some positive closure...this has been a pretty long journey for me so far. I just hope that what ever it is, that I am able to treat it and live a long life. When my OB did the US on where she thought the lump to be, she could not see anything...is it possible that a Fibroadenoma only shows up on a mammo or should it have shown up? Is it generally a bad sign when nothing shows up, but there is a lump?

May 15, 2012 07:31AM Sommer43 wrote:

Hi Catmac

I am unsure of how you came to be having a mmg. 

My GP found my mass, which was a physical examination, she then referred me to breast clinic and there I had a mmg, where nothing showed up, then I had an ultrasound, which was the mass was found.  I then had a FNA, which came back inconclusive, simply because there were not enough cells taken, then I had a core biopsy and it came back as a fibroadenoma.  I then opted for a removal, which on final histology came back as a complex one. 

So, let me get this straight, you have a palpable mass, which was not visible on an ultra sound?  A fibroadenoma can move...   

Do you have dense breasts?  Have you a history of painful breasts just before your period?  I did, but that is hormonal, something I have had for years.  I have lumpy boobs, always have had, but usually cyclical.  I initally went to the docs because I had a discomfort, to which my friend noticed me keep going under my arm. I monitored it for about four months and then went to the doctors... 

In my experience, ultra sound was the best tool for me, due to density of my breasts. 

May 15, 2012 07:44AM CatMac81 wrote:

My OB said that she could not find the mass on the US, but wanted to be safe and send me for a Mammo since I have had these symptoms for a while now, because of what she felt, and because my areaola on my left side has a slight dip. She told me that it could be a fibro or it could be a calcification what she was feeling, and these things will not show up on an US she said, but rather on a mammo. Not sure if there is much to this theory, because it seems that all doctors seem to have a different approach to finding things...

I had breast sensation before I would get my period, but there was never pain and the pain was never just in one breast...it was usually a light sensation in both...and if I was pregnant my nipples would sting and would get very bulky. I do not have very big breasts and I am not even sure I could say they are thick...but my left breast is much bumpier than the right..

I honestly did not find this mass doing my own checks, but even if she could be wrong, I am thankful she is sending me, because these symptoms monthly are really getting to me and making me break out in panic monthly and I cannot do this anymore. 

May 15, 2012 07:54AM Sommer43 wrote:

Well, you are being looked at, so that's good thing, right?  As scary as it is, I was terrified in February, but now am no longer and that doesn't mean that I am being cocky in stating that, it means, my head was in tatters before the testing, and once I went through the whole shebang, it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, the waiting was the hard part. 

I couldn't say which is better for picking up masses, because each woman is different, there are pluses on both sides, although I do know that mammograms are not particularly good at screening denser breasts and I have dense breast tissue, and am 34 b bust size, density has nothing to do with size of breasts.  Mind you, that said, fat necrosis is apparently more common in women with large pendulous breasts, and I definitely don't have those. 

Am sure you are fed up and worried and fed up of symptoms, pain.  I was.  I still am, but I lived with it before, I will live with it again.  I am glad i had the FA removed, however, I know that I should have asked more questions about post surgical issues, which is what I have now.  I do have a palpable lump, more than I ever did, and in more pain.  I will wait till September, unless my mass grows. 

I know very little about calcifications... 

May 16, 2012 12:13AM CatMac81 wrote:

Yes, I am so relieved that I am getting looked at, but at the same time terrified. I am like you said very fed up up with the symptoms. They have me, on a day like today clinging to the ceiling! Fibrocystic breasts run in my family, but as far as I heard, none of the cases turned complicated. I am hoping in the worst case senario that I have fibrocystic issues, with no further complications, but we will have to see.

I am sorry to hear that you are still having discomfort despite the mass having been removed.What did your doctor say about the lump you palpatated?

May 16, 2012 12:30AM Sommer43 wrote:

Fibrocystic breasts used to be considered a disease.  Now no longer, I think it is part and parcel of having breasts and does not increase a woman's chance of breast cancer.  Dense breasts, however, is a different matter, density prevents masses being picked up. 

I can live with the discomfort, I felt I should get it investigated as my close loved ones were noticing that I kept going under my arm. 

This latest mass, is quite tender at times, and while it has been ultra sounded, I am keeping at eye on it without being paranoid.  Sometimes, I think the mind has to recover also, and if I am bogged down with worry, then I suffer physically.