We are 159,221 members in 80 forums discussing 125,847 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Core needle biopsy and lump was too hard?

Topic: Core needle biopsy and lump was too hard?

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES. You are encouraged to seek advice from a medical professional in the event of any concerns.

Posted on: Apr 5, 2012 01:12PM

Greenshamrock wrote:

Today I had a core needle biopsy done and the doctor was having trouble extracting a sample. She tried four times with the needle and it wouldn't go in. She put on a different needle and was still having difficulty because the lump was too hard. She said that for this to happen it was rare. She was trying to get samples from the center of the lump but the needle kept on bouncing off the center. She ended up getting 3 samples but they were from the outer edges when the needle would slip off the center area. She originally figured the lump was just breast tissue or fat necrosis prior to the biopsy because I had breast reduction surgery in that area one and a half years ago. I am just wondering if anyone else has had a core needle biopsy where they had problems getting a sample because the lump was so hard? Thanks in advance :-)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Apr 5, 2012 01:46PM sewingnut wrote:

When I had my core biopsy done it sounded like a drill. Kind of like a roto rooter to get the sample. Was she trying to aspirate the lump?

Dx 12/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Apr 5, 2012 02:40PM Greenshamrock wrote:

She inserted the needle and it was like a staple gun, lol! She was just trying to get samples from the lump using ultrasound guided and the needle wouldn't go into the lump and kept slipping off. She was able to get 3 samples and put them on slides but it was from the outer edges after the needle slipped off the center.

Apr 5, 2012 02:40PM Blessings2011 wrote:

Greenshamrock - Yes.

Can't remember if it was my first US-guided core needle biopsy or my second one, that I heard the Radiologist (AWESOME woman) say "Darn it!"

She said she was having trouble getting the needle to go into the mass....that it was acting just like a fibroadenoma, and was bouncing off the needle like a rubber ball.

She finally did get enough samples (4 or 5) to make a positive dx.

Turns out I had DCIS, with a microinvasion of IDC. When I got my final path report, there was NO EVIDENCE of the IDC...they said it was so small, the core-needle had gotten it all.

sewingnut - All I heard with my CNB was loud snapping sounds as the little tool kept taking "bites" of tissue out of the mass. Fortunately, the lidocaine had worked really well!

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/04/2011 Mastectomy of one or both breasts: Mastectomy of my left breast, Mastectomy of my right breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my left side ; Reconstruction of my left breast: Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction of my right breast: Tissue expander placement Surgery 08/21/2012 Reconstruction of my left breast; Reconstruction of my right breast Hormonal Therapy 09/04/2012 Arimidex (chemical name: anastrozole, class: aromatase inhibitor) Hormonal Therapy 10/21/2013 Femara (chemical name: letrozole, class: aromatase inhibitor)

Apr 5, 2012 02:42PM sanbar8771 wrote:

Yes, I had the same problem. My Dr is a female and she actually had to put her knee on the bed so she could push down to get inside. I was sooooo bruised after. She thought it was a fibroadenoma but unfortunately it was not. Im hoping you have b9 results.

Dx 5/7/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 5, 2012 04:52PM Greenshamrock wrote:

Thanks everyone for sharing I really appreciate it :-)