We are 156,504 members in 80 forums discussing 123,872 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Had Core Biopsy for Microcalcifications and Distortion

Topic: Had Core Biopsy for Microcalcifications and Distortion

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. Posting pictures of symptoms is NOT recommended - you are encouraged to seek advice from a medical professional in the event of any concerns.

Posted on: Jul 21, 2013 01:51AM

larst wrote:

Hi everyone! I had an ultrasound-guided core biopsy yesterday, a week after my routine mammogram showed a cluster of calcifications in my left breast. The  Dr. did an ultrasound and found an area of "architectural distortion" that corresponded with the area of calcifications.  I had surgery on this breast five years ago for a benign ductal papilloma, so the doctor said this could be as a result of trauma from the surgery, but he wants to rule out DCIS.
The thing that worries me is that the cluster of calcifications didn't show on last year's mammogram, so why now if they were from the surgery five years ago? My mind has been spinning and this past week has been torture for me. I feel a little better now that I've had the biopsy and now just have to wait for the results. 
I've had regular mammograms since my early 30's (I'm now in my 50s) because I had a benign fibroadenoma on right breast. Also have fibrocystic, dense breasts and my maternal grandmother had breast cancer. 
The core biopsy itself was fast and easy, and I don't have any pain today, just a little soreness and bruising.  
Has anyone had microcalcifications and architectural distortion?  I'm trying to stay positive but it's not easy and I want to be prepared for whatever the diagnosis is. 

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Jul 21, 2013 03:27AM Ariom wrote:

Hi KeeB!

Firstly let me say I am glad you found us. It can be a bit scary on Google, trying to work out what might be going on. There's a lot of old irrelevant info out there.

Microcalcifications are very common, especially as we get older. It is when they form a pattern that they need to be checked out for DCIS. A biopsy is the only difinitive way to know what is going on.

In saying that, 80% of biopsies have a benign finding, so don't assume that it will be bad news just because there is something that needs to be investigated.

I know just how you feel, we all do! The waiting is the absolute worst. Fear of the unknown is a dreadful thing. We humans don't do this kind of fear, well.

I am hoping for a benign result for you. When will you hear?

Try to take it easy on yourself, the worrying won't change the outcome, but it can make you ill. Just one step at a time.......(((HUGS)))) let us know how you do!  

Dx Mondors Disease (cording) after Umx and "Dog Ear" removed 14 months post UMx .................. The Dx shuffles you like a deck of cards and then deals you a new hand! Dx 11/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes Surgery 12/18/2012 Mastectomy of one or both breasts: Mastectomy of my right breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Sentinel lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my right side

Jul 21, 2013 04:52PM larst wrote:

Thank you, Ariom! Smile That's reassuring!  I find out the results tomorrow, so today I'm pretty nervous, but relieved that I don't have to wait longer.

I was impressed that the radiologist gave me his cell phone number so I can call him to get the results.  I will post again when I get the diagnosis.

Reading through this forum really helped me last week when I was waiting for the biopsy, you're a great group of women helping each other!!  

Dx 7/22/2013, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Dx 8/2/2013, IDC, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 21, 2013 05:21PM Moderators wrote:

KeeB, we'll be watching for your news tomorrow, and wishing you the very best result.

• The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Jul 22, 2013 09:54PM larst wrote:

I just heard from the radiologist and he told me I have DCIS, Intermediate grade. I don't know any other details yet. He told me I will be sent for an MRI and be referred to a surgeon. 

Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as treatment is concerned?  What should I ask the surgeon?  Will the type of surgery depend on what the MRI shows?  I have so many questions. Any help is appreciated.  When I was having the biopsy I asked the radiologist how large the area of calcifications was and he said about one inch. 

I'm trying to stay calm! I do know that this is not invasive so I'm very thankful for that. 

Dx 7/22/2013, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Dx 8/2/2013, IDC, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 23, 2013 05:08AM Ariom wrote:

Hi KeeB, I am so sorry that you've had to join this club, but in saying that, this is a wonderful place to get information and support whenever you need it.

I was Dx with DCIS Intermediate and High Grade last November. My surgeon explained that it is the best dx to get because it is "In Situ" in a duct and not invasive.

I was given the option of a Lumpectomy and 6 weeeks of Radiation, or a Mastectomy and Sentinal Node Biopsy, without Radiation, providing there was no other finding after the final pathology.

I chose the Mastectomy, without reconstruction, because I wanted to avoid Radiation. My Mother had BC and had a Mastectomy, so I had been through her experience with her, and knew what to expect.

There are options for you, take your time and decide what works for you. Do it because it is what you want, not what others think is right for you. It is a very personal thing.

Try to stay calm, you'll do really well. It really does get easier now. You have been through the awful waiting to find out what's going on, now is the time to get it out and get on with healing.

I am sending you (((hugs))), I know just how you're feeling, just ask anything. We all understand and welcome you to this place for friendship and support.

Dx Mondors Disease (cording) after Umx and "Dog Ear" removed 14 months post UMx .................. The Dx shuffles you like a deck of cards and then deals you a new hand! Dx 11/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes Surgery 12/18/2012 Mastectomy of one or both breasts: Mastectomy of my right breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Sentinel lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my right side

Jul 23, 2013 06:14PM larst wrote:

Thanks, Ariom! Are you saying that you had both intermediate and high grade cells with your DCIS?  I ask because I remember the radiologist saying something to me about high grade too, but I was too shocked when he called to get the details right.  

Today I'm trying to get my MRI set up but looks like that won't be for a few days.  Then the consultation with the surgeon.  I'd like to know some of my options before my appointment so I'll feel more prepared.  

I see there is an area here for DCIS.  I'll go and post over there. Laughing

Jul 23, 2013 06:26PM hoping42 wrote:

Wishing you all the best KeeB!  Ariom had great advice for you.  Take time to make the decision tht is right for you.  Just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you!

Dx 1/19/2013, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Dx 2/8/2013, Paget's, <1cm, Stage 0, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 02/21/2013 Mastectomy of one or both breasts: Mastectomy of my left breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Underarm (axillary) lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my left side ; Prophylactic (also called preventive) mastectomy of one or both breasts : Prophylactic (also called preventive) mastectomy of my right breast ; Reconstruction of my left breast: Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction of my right breast: Tissue expander placement Surgery 05/30/2013 Reconstruction of my left breast Surgery 05/30/2013 Reconstruction of my right breast Surgery 02/05/2013 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my left breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Sentinel lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my left side Surgery 12/13/2013 Reconstruction of my left breast: Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction of my right breast: Nipple reconstruction

Jul 24, 2013 03:30AM Ariom wrote:

Hi again KeeB, sorry the time difference makes it seem I am not answering you quickly!

Yes, I had both grade 2/3 at Biopsy. When I got the final pathology after the surgery it was, grade 2. It isn't unusual for them to remove a lot of it when they do the biopsy.

There is a lot of information on DCIS, most of it researched and posted by one of our members Beesie. She is the DCIS Guru around here, and has made the journey easier for a lot of us with this Dx. I actually printed out her DCIS info sheet and gave it to my family and friends so they would understand just what it was, I had been Dx with.

Knowledge is power, and the more you know and understand the better it is for you.

I have just been to my first follow up appointment, my surgery was at Christmas, and all is well.

I wish you all the very best, and hope you have all the info you need to make your decision.

Take care, and please let us know what you decide, and how you're doing. Anytime! 

Jul 24, 2013 05:06PM larst wrote:

No problem about the time difference. I'm in California and we're 3 hours behind the east coast of the US.
I will check out the DCIS info from Beesie. I just glanced at it and it looks very thorough!

Congratulations on your follow-up appointment! That's excellent news.

And thank you Hoping42 for the wishes!