We are 160,117 members in 80 forums discussing 126,389 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: inflammatory breast cancer or ring worm?

Topic: inflammatory breast cancer or ring worm?

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES. You are encouraged to seek advice from a medical professional in the event of any concerns.

Posted on: Jan 5, 2014 07:34PM

u8angel wrote:

I have notices a small raised dot on my breast. Within a couple of weeks it's grown really big and I have a similar now growing right next to it. It itches and hurts at times. I've been putting ring worm medication on it for about two weeks but it seems to be getting worse. I'm going to try to put up a pic of it. Please let me know what this is.

Posts 1 - 23 (23 total)

Jan 5, 2014 07:38PM , edited Jan 5, 2014 07:41PM by marie5890

Hello u8Angel and welcome.

We cannot tell you what this is. We are not doctors.

You need to be seen by professionals. Make an appointment with your Dr, let us know how it goes, then we can offer insight and advice.

We are NOT doctors. 

Circumventing the medical profession, that has been TRAINED in this area, is never ever a wise course of action. 

Go to your PCP, or GYN and start there. Clearly there is something going on, but WE ARE NOT DOCTORS and can NOT diagnosis what you are experiencing...

DO NOT READ ANYTHING INTO THE TECH'S EXPRESSION OR WHAT THE TECH SAYS. Jan '11 Biopsy Dx-ed a PASH tumor (rare, but benign tumor)....All I ask is for peace and serenity to the depths of my soul. Makes the rest of life more live-able.

Jan 5, 2014 07:42PM Warrior_Woman wrote:

I am with Marie.  As much as I want diagnostic answers immediately, the internet will only leave you with the worst possible fears.  Ask to see your doctor tomorrow.  

Dx: 2 mutations of NF1 gene / Neurofibromatosis type 1. Dx 9/2013, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/2013, LCIS, 0/1 nodes Dx 12/2013, DCIS, 0/1 nodes Surgery 12/3/2013 Lymph node removal: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 4/23/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 5/3/2014 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 5/30/2014 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 7/18/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 11/12/2014 Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/5/2015 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 5/5/2015 Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills Chemotherapy Cytoxan, Taxotere

Jan 5, 2014 07:44PM imconcerned wrote:

There are many things that can cause rashes. But you really need to go in asap and find out what this is. Bring up your concerns about IBC.  My sister had many symptoms of IBC 10 years ago and it turned out to be nothing.  But,  you always want to rule it out anyway  - don't wait!   

Jan 5, 2014 07:52PM u8angel wrote:

Thank you for the quick response. I have an appointment on the 9th of January. I am worried about being misdiagnosed. From what I have read about ibc....that seems to happen a lot. I am also worried bc this type of breast cancer progresses rapidly. I have been crying for weeks. My fiance and I are really scared. As I write this I am in tears fearing the worst. I can't tell my parents bc I don't want them to worry. I am only 28 years old...which worries me even more because younger females don't survive this type of cancer. I hope what I've read is wrong. And I hope I'm worrying for nothing.

Jan 5, 2014 07:57PM marie5890 wrote:

When you have your appointment on Jan., 9th, tell them you DEMAND a biopsy (punch biopsy for IBC specifically). That is the ONLY way to rule out, or in, IBC.

Just insistent on it. Period. Tell them boldly and to their eyes, "I WANT A BIOPSY FOR IBC to either rule it in or out. PERIOD"…Just face the fear and get the answer. One way or the other.

Chances are it's not IBC. But just rule it out at the onset. 

DO NOT READ ANYTHING INTO THE TECH'S EXPRESSION OR WHAT THE TECH SAYS. Jan '11 Biopsy Dx-ed a PASH tumor (rare, but benign tumor)....All I ask is for peace and serenity to the depths of my soul. Makes the rest of life more live-able.

Jan 5, 2014 08:01PM imconcerned wrote:

I know you're scared...I'm sorry...But don't automatically think it's IBC.  You could have been bitten by something. You could have an infection, or it could be a reaction to something you've eaten.  Impetigo?  I don't know... but there are other possibilites.  

Jan 5, 2014 08:04PM ziggypop wrote:

Okay - this is going to sound really weird. That does look like ring worm and ring worm can take a couple of weeks to clear up with an OTC anti fungal. (Note - I do not have IBC & don't have experience with it other than one friend who has it so if somebody who comes along here does, listen to them). 

There is a way to test for ring worm - get a blacklight. Do not apply cream or any thing to the spots &  don't wash them. So if you wake up at 8am, don't do anything to those spots & don't do this test until mid afternoon. Go into a very dark room & shine the black light on the spots, if they are ring worm they should 'shine'. 

It's called a wood light test. Go figure. 

OR - get to a dermatologist - he or she should be able to rule in or out ring wood easily. The other thing is that ring worm that gets worse can crack & then you can get a bacterial infection & need antibiotics - so best to get a for sure diagnosis. 

Dx 5/2012, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, 5/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/31/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Underarm, Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jan 5, 2014 08:12PM marie5890 wrote:

U8angel,

Regardless of the input here, you need to be seen by professionals. Not simply get feedback on the internet.

Go see a doctor, Seek second opinions if necessary.

We ARE NOT PROFESSIONALS….

Jan 5, 2014 08:14PM u8angel wrote:

Thank you. I will be demanding a biopsy for ibc. I will also be checking to see if I have ring worm. I can sleep a little better, now that I have a place where I can talk to people about this. Thanks everyone.

Jan 5, 2014 08:29PM marie5890 wrote:

U8angel that is the wisest of options.

Get it biopsied to either rule in, or out, IBC. Tell the Dr that you want a definitive answer as to "what' it is. No guessing.

Again, we are not professionals, and only they can give  you the answers you need.

Something is going on, clearly. Find out what it is. We are just amateurs with some insight, some more so than others to be sure.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Jan 5, 2014 08:31PM wyo wrote:

u8angel

everyone here has steered you in the right direction which is toward seeing a trained medical professional. There are so many different things that a person can have it is most important to have a timely differential diagnosis and testing. 

As far as the areas do make note if you have any similar looking areas anywhere else on your body or just have 2 areas located only on the breast Also if you are putting antifungal on something that is not a fungus it could be aggravating whatever it is. r

When you call for an appt just be very clear so you get what you want

situation- size, appearance, location 

background- when it appeared and what you have been putting on it

assessment- no improvement with antifungal and describe what "getting worse" is- larger area, weepy, itchy whatever it is you are experiencing

request- an immediate appointment for evaluation, testing and treatment if they balk gently remind them that you don't know what you have and you hope its not infectious...... that should get you seen if you have to say it

let us know

Dx 9/2013, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/29/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Left Radiation Therapy 11/5/2013 Hormonal Therapy 12/5/2013 Dx

Jan 6, 2014 08:47AM Kicks wrote:

As has been said - see a DR.  None of us here are MDs nor could we DX you from only 1 picture IF we were. There are so many possibilitie - the vast majority have nothing to do with any BC or IBC.  Remember that of all BC DXs,  only 1% - 5% are IBC..

That said - the picture does not look at all like how my IBC presented itself.  Does that mean that I'm saying it isn't IBC because I was different - NO!   Mine first showed it's ugly head as an enlarged node under arm and though I did developed peau d'orange before neoadjuvant chemo - it never looked anything like your picture.  We are each so unique.

Definitely see your DR.  You might ask for a culture done on the area also.

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/24/2009 AC Surgery 10/20/2009 Mastectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Chemotherapy 11/10/2009 Taxol Radiation Therapy 2/3/2010

Jan 6, 2014 02:00PM u8angel wrote:

Thanks for all the advice. I'm hoping for good news asap.

Jan 6, 2014 02:21PM , edited Jan 6, 2014 02:24PM by leaf

Yes, we are not doctors.  Another way a doctor can diagnose a skin fungal infection is to scrape the skin, and wash the scrapings with potassium hydroxide (KOH).  This kills the normal cells.  Fungi (ringworm) will remain, though, and can be seen under the microscope.  I don't know whether your primary care doctor normally looks at the sample under the microscope or if they send it to the lab.  I know once the doctor himself looked at a blood sample of a relative (they suspected leukemia), but it probably depends on whether they have the reagents and microscope handy, and whether (s)he has the time.  Once I had a skin fungal infection, and my doc sent the culture to the lab.  I don't know if they can always tell the type of fungus from this test, but fungi look very different than normal human skin cells.  I think its a fairly fast test, much less invasive than a skin punch, and to course ringworm is much, much more common than IBC.  Skin fungal infections can last a long, long time - for months or longer, even with treatment in an area that is normally dry.

I don't know which test the doctor will choose, but I'm hoping  for good news asap too.

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR- Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills

Jan 6, 2014 08:21PM Faith316 wrote:

Take daily pictures or every couple of days so you can see and document changes.   Good luck.

DX 4/08 IDC, ER-, PR-, HER2+, IIB, Grade 3,lumpectomy,2/8 nodes,4 AC,12 wks.Taxol,Herceptin,30 rads. DX IBC 6/09 while still in treatment. Now Stage III. 6 mo. of Xeloda done, still on Tykerb. Uni-mx & another node dissection 2/4/10.

Jan 9, 2014 04:54PM u8angel wrote:

so I went to the Dr today. Guess what they told me.....they don't know what it is. One of the doctors said It looks like I burned myself....i told him I didn't and then he asked are you sure.  So they gave me a prescription for something called Mupirocin 2% Cream. $77 by the way.I'm supposed to apply it for a week and see the Dr again next thursday. If it hasn't improved......they don't know.....bc they don't know what it is. Basically I will have to go to a dermatologist and hopefully they will know what it is.

Jan 9, 2014 06:17PM imconcerned wrote:

Did you bring up your concerns about IBC? Did they mention a biopsy?   I hope whatever it is, this Mupirocin will help you.  

Jan 9, 2014 09:11PM u8angel wrote:

I told both Dr's that I thought it was ibc. The Dr told me he's positive it's not cancer. I'm going 2 get a second opinion with a different dr at a different hospital. Hopefully prescription works and I won't need a second opinion. 

Jan 9, 2014 09:21PM leggo wrote:

I had a couple of cases of ringworm when I was a kid from cuddling my guinnea pigs. SillyHeart To me, that doesn't look like ringworm. Having said that, I have no idea what ibc looks like. Food for thought...I once had the weirdest allergic reaction to something, still don't know what to this day, on the back of my neck that looked just like that. Looked and felt more like a burn than an allergic rash. It went away with benadryl and a topical steroid. Whatever this is, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. It looks kinda painful.

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Jan 17, 2014 04:07PM u8angel wrote:

so my dr asked another doctor for their opinion....they r saying possibly ring worm that has an infection also. So far the infection cream has worked. Now treating for ring worm.....hope it works and hope this is just ring worm.

Mar 12, 2014 07:51PM b_fab115 wrote:

I have a spot on my breast that looks exactly like this. I have been on so many antibiotics even one for MRSA the doctor is doing a biopsy on friday so I will be asking to check for IBC as well as ringworm. I am so glad I found this u8angel. I know I am not alone in this! Please keep posting updates!

Mar 27, 2014 04:32PM b_fab115 wrote:

I received a diagnosis and it isn't at all cancer related. Though it does have so many of the same IBC symptoms it is actually Spongyiotic Dermatitis. It is basically an acute form of eczema. I hope this helps.

Mar 27, 2014 05:02PM Kicks wrote:

That's what is usual with 'breast rashes'.  IBC is rare - rashes aren't!  If everyone who developes a rash on their breast area was IBC then it would be the most common type of BC - not only between 1% and 5% of all DXd BCs.

Of course, anything is possible, so all things unusual should be checked out but there are so many possibilities.  IBC is one of the least likely but a remote possibility.

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/24/2009 AC Surgery 10/20/2009 Mastectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Chemotherapy 11/10/2009 Taxol Radiation Therapy 2/3/2010