Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Itchy breast followed by under arm pain..

Options
smartcatbj
smartcatbj Member Posts: 2
edited February 2018 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Okay. Part of my left breast tissue has been itching for about a month now. Itchiness comes and goes. So I thought it was due to dry cold whether. Then I started to feel tenderness around left under arm about 2days ago. Now it hurts when I move around or touch that area. I wasn't suspecting breast cancer until now. I went online this morning and did some research on breast cancer. I found that cancer cells are not usually painful to touch but itchiness is one of the cancer symptoms. I'm going to make an appointment with a doctor first thing tomorrow morning. I just turned 30, and me & my hubby are planning to have our first child this year. I hope it's nothing..

Comments

• misslu
    misslu Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Smartcat, I too have had lots of itchiness to contend with. I didn't realize it could be a sign of cancer either. Then I found a lump about a month ago and have been on the "diagnosis" roller coaster since then. Tomorrow I get my biopsy results (pathology report). My best advice is to see a doctor, tell them your symptoms, and proceed from there. HOpefully it's nothing.

Shonda
  • Shirlann
    Shirlann Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Funny you two would mention this. I know you are too young to remember,but both President Ford's wife Betty AND our Vice-President's wife Happy Rockefeller had itching before their breast cancer diagnosis.

This was 35 years ago and both gals are just fine.

Gentle hugs, Shirlann
  • misslu
    misslu Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hopefully I will know by this time tomorrow if I have any cancer to contend with. I will be glad to "just know".
    Shonda
  • ljoanne
    ljoanne Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2007
    Options

I have been dealing with an itchy and painful left breast for about a month and a half now. My first symptom was an intense itch followed by a bright red rash. I now look at what used to be the rash but is now just 5 spots that have healed and realized that I probably infected the skin of my breast by my intense scratching esspecially while I slept. I woke in the morning with blood spots on my nightgown from scatching so hard. Anyhow, I was given antibiotics and the redness went away but the itching remained. I also have stabbing pains in that breast as well. Some time after checking all this out I started getting a dull achey pain in my armpit area and feel my lymphnodes are a little swollen. I also get pains in my arm/sholder/neck area but not all the time just here and there. I am going for my MRI tomorrow. I hope it's nothing and I can put this all behind me. I have allowed myself to think the worst so I can handle it if that is indeed the case. I had no idea that itching could be a symptom of breast cancer. Good luck to all of you!

• smartcatbj
    smartcatbj Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Misslu-Hope you had a good news today.
    Shirlaan-glad to know those gals are fine after all.
    ljoanne-good luck to you too.
    I was so busy at work and didn't have a time to call my doctor or even think about my breast. Pain is still there. I will call the DOC tomorrow morning.
  • mjomalley
    mjomalley Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2007
    Options

This is the first I have actually researched anything about breast cancer which is kind of silly becasue my mom has had chem, radiation and surgery more than once over the past few years. Any way, 6 weeks ago the right side of my right breast began to itch and became read and irritated. I blamed it on the bra I was wearing but by that afternoon it was hurting. It still hurts 6 weeks later. There is apecific are about the size of a quarter that hurts. I am 30 years old and have 2 kids both of whom I breast fed for a year. I miscarried about 5 months ago and at first thought that maybe it was a hormonal problem with a milk duct. I have my first mammogram and sonogram on Thursday. Are there any other thoughts of waht this could be?

• Shirlann
    Shirlann Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2007
    Options
    mjomalley, probably nothing. Since 80% of breast "thingys" are benign, you are probably fine.

However, I would surely go to your ob/gyn and let him/her take a look and maybe a mammogram.

The only thing that is kinda worrisome, and I don't want to scare you, but Inflammatory Breast Cancer presents in this way and few if any docs have ever seen it. BUT, it is so very rare, it is highly unlikely this is what you have.

Since we are all jumpy around here, better to be safe than sorry.

Gentle hugs, Shirlann
  • walker2384
    walker2384 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2008
    Options

Hello All,

I am a 24 year old mother of one. For the past year I have had the worst on again off again underarm rash you can imagine. I mean I itch so badly sometimes I can't even sleep at night. No over the counter product has proven fit and I am beginning to worry. Do you think this could be stress related - I do have a high demanding job? I also suffer from sever itching on BOTH of my breast. My husband has begged me to see a doctor about this, but I am too afraid. Can you gals lend a little encouraging advice?

• Dukemom2
    Dukemom2 Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2008
    Options

Never be afraid to have a change in your breasts checked out.  If it is nothing, you and your husband can both sigh a huge sigh of relief.  If there is a problem, the earlier it is caught and dealt with - the better.  I know you are afraid.  We are all afraid when we face the unknown, especially in regard to our health. 

Please take a deep breath, listen to your husband, and have a doctor check it out.  No matter what the result, you will be very glad you did.  Not knowing, and worrying about what might be, is the pits.

Please check back and let us know what the doctor has to say.  I'm sending calming thoughts you way, as well as thoughts for a good report. 

Hugs to you and your husband!

Dukemom

• daisyv1958
    daisyv1958 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2008
    Options

Hi,

I also have an itchy breast and armpit.  I had a lumpectomy followed by chemo and radiation over 5 yrs ago. Approx 3 weeks ago, the same breast began itching and now my armpit is itchy.  There is no pain or rash.  Then, 3 days ago I discovered a pea sized lump under my lumpectomy scar.  It feels that same as before, however, I don't remember my breast being itchy, but that doesn't mean it wasn't. 

I have a doctor's appt on Tuesday at 8:30 am to start it all over again.  My mom passed on after a recurrence of breast cancer that also had spread to her liver, lungs, etc..., but she did not have chemo or rad.  I did, but apparently it did not help.  I'm really scared and nervous!!! 

• msmf5151
    msmf5151 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2008
    Options

Hi this is my first time writing.  I have had a right ichy breast for about two months.  Should I really be that concern?  There is no sign of breast cancer in our family.

Thank You

• msmf5151
    edited May 2008
    Options

Hi this is my first time writing.  I have had a right ichy breast for about two months.  Should I really be that concern?  There is no sign of breast cancer in our family.

Thank You

• msmf5151
    edited May 2008
    Options

Thank You

• msmf5151
    edited May 2008
    Options

Thank You

• Bancroft
    Bancroft Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2008
    Options

Please have it checked out.  My only symptom was an itchy breast.

If it is nothing, you will be so happy and if you need more medical treatment- you should get going!!

• luvmylife
    luvmylife Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2008
    Options

Last year I had an itchy nipple and my doc said wash it w/ mild soap and it's probably due to my new bras, etc...(she knew of my family history of bc.  This year's doc visit she found my left breast tissue is dense and a lump in my right breast - I REALLY hope it's not related and further examinations should have been taken last year.

• MsAsian
    MsAsian Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2008
    Options

Walker2384, you should have that checkup.  You could have done that a year ago to stop or minimize the itch. Remember "an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure." I am experiencing itchiness on both nipples for a week now.  I'm scheduled for a check up next week. 

• Gemini16
    Gemini16 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2008
    Options

I've had underarm itch and breast itch for months now and never thought about it being a symptom.  I thought the underarm itch was from my deoderant, so I've been using a hypoalergenic one which is better, but it still itches, just not as bad.  I tend to be on the 'itchy' side anyway, so never thought of it as a symptom to report.  I better bring that up to my doctor when I call about my mammogram and US results. 

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited June 2008
    Options

I would most definitely get this itchiness checked out. But don't panic just yet. My left breast drove me crazy with itching for a couple of years. However, it was my right breast that was the problem. And that breast never gave me an ounce of discomfort.

• macro123
    macro123 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Options

I to have had itchy armpits with some pain in my breast i have read that breast cancer is not painful so i have not worried, until i have read these posts I am 45 with no insurance my last mammagram was 15 years ago. i do not want to icnore this but not to sure on how to handle it.

• linda_bear
    linda_bear Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Options

I too have been having an itchy left breast on the side of the nipple and the nipple itself.  I've passed 2 mammo's since I've started to complain to my gyno and doctor and they keep saying that its probably just because of my antidepressants because my mammo's have been fine for two years.  I try not to worry because they don't seem to think its anything but I just feel like theres something wierd going on.  I do worry about this even though I probably shouldn't be.

• Meganthom
    Meganthom Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    Options

Did you ever get diagnosed?

• Sheron1
    Sheron1 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hello, I'm going thorough same symptoms now, did you ever get ur doctors reports?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,078
    edited July 2017
    Options

Sheron - this is an old thread and not active. There are other threads discussing this issue that you can access through 'all threads'. In the mean time, stay away from google and listen to what your doctors are recommending.

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    edited July 2017
    Options

As MinusTwo said this is an old Thread that had to have been searched for rather than going to the Threads that are currently active or starting a new one.

• atcheson
    atcheson Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

I woke to what I thought was a bug bite under my left breast. It was just an itch and I wondered how a bug bit me under there!! But within hours I had a rash. I went to the doctor and he sent me immediately to get a mammogram. I had no lumps in my breast but what looked like spider webs. I had inflammatory breast cancer. It's a very rare for of cancer because it doesn't have the usual symptoms of a lump and it comes on quickly. Please have yours checked as soon as possible.