Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stabbing pains in left breast ???

Options
blessedmom3
blessedmom3 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2017 in Not Diagnosed But Worried
Hi, my sister suggested I come on here to ask a few questions.
First, my heart and prayers go out to all of you going through breast cancer, and those who are worried, wondering, and waiting for results. All of you are remarkable. I pray that all of you get the answers you want and are healed.

I have been having a horrible stabbing pain that comes and goes in my left breast where my nipple is. Even in the shower it hurts. No I am not pregnant, no its not any kind of pain I've ever had in my breast during PMS or menstrating or any other time. There is not any discoloration of the nipple or breast. I had a great mammogram early last summer. I did a self check today and felt nothing. It doesn't hurt to touch (except when shower water was hitting it), as much as these shooting sharp pains affect it. Am I worrying about nothing?
Thanks,
Kathy

Comments

• naturegirl
    naturegirl Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2007
    Options

Kathy I just went through something real similar. Had a very sharp stabbing pain in my left breast. Ended up finding out it may have been caused by a cyst that was just below my nipple. They removed the cyst and it was fine. No cancer. Not saying yours is the same but it should be looked at by a doctor. The lady that does all my mammograms over the years said that any change needs looked out. Good luck, keep us posted.

• VickiTN
    VickiTN Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Kathy,
    Any time there is any type of change being experienced in the breast - it should be investigated by a doctor. I do encourage you to call your doctor and make an appointment.

Some women do experience pain in the breast prior to a bc diagnosis - while others, like me, do not. I never felt my lump either...it was picked up during an annual mammogram.

I certainly am not trying to scare you because the odds are that everything will turn out okay for you...but, it's not something that should be ignored.

Best wishes to you.
    hugs,
    vicki
  • blessedmom3
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thank you! I will see if pain goes away after my period. It started before period. I got to thinking and thought maybe it's just hormonal. I have lost weight so my breast have shrunk alot from DD to a C cup in 6 months. I always lose weight at the top first! Anyways, I also have Fibromyalgia, and thought well maybe its related to that, because I have had a lot of "flareups" this past month. Sometimes, its hard to tell what is what. I am definetely going to go to the Fibromyalgia website and post this pain question in their forum right now.
    Thanks so much for your kind words. I'l be checking back to see if others have experiences this with Fibromyalgia.

Kathy
  • luvcats
    luvcats Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hi Kathy,
    I also have fibromyalgia for years and had been getting those stabbing pains in my breast. I put every pain I had down to fibromyalgia, how wrong was I. In May last year my breast was very swollen, red and painful and within days had been diagnosed with invasive carcinoma, multifocal, Stage 3, Grade 3, tumor was more than 10 cms they could not measure all of it proberly because of the uneven margins. I had mastectomy, chemo and rads and next week am having the second breast off as I am having the same pains there that I thought was "just fibromyalgia". Please do have it checked out as I had absolutely no thought in my mind about breast cancer, just another part of my body that hurts and flares up at different times.
    I only found this board a month ago, wish I could have been here last when when I was so mixed up.
    Keep us posted Kathy.
  • ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Have it checked...lumps that are benign or not can cause pain if pressing on something. Find out what it is...

Feel good.
  • blessedmom3
    edited March 2007
    Options

The thing is I don't press on it and it hurts, it just shoots pain on its own. Thanks for your replies.

• redbirdgirl
    redbirdgirl Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2007
    Options

Kathy, Not to be negative, because I don't think it's usually the case, but a pain like the one you describe is what led to my diagnosis. I'd skipped more than one mammogram, but having a symptom got my attention. I worried that it might be very advanced since there was some pain, but that was not the case. I hope yours turns out to be nothing, but I am glad that I had some symptoms or I might still be letting things go instead of paying attention and taking care of things. Good luck to you. Kay

• dhimpu
    dhimpu Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Options

i am having pain in my left breast. before the pain was rare. but for the past one week, am experiencing it daily. sometimes its very light pain. on the third day of my periods it was very severe and i had pain for nearly 3 to 4 hrs. i am having pain in back also. sometimes its paining in my right breast too. i am not having pain continuously. i don't find any lumps in my breast. i am confused whether it is symptom of breast cancer or some hormonal changes. i am very much afraid because my mother had suffered from breast cancer.

• itsjustme10
    itsjustme10 Member Posts: 64
    edited October 2012
    Options

It kinda sounds like nerve pain, but the question is could there be something in there irritating the nerve, or is it just one of those transient things that'll stop, never to bother you again.  I'll add my vote to "it doesn't hurt to be safe and get it checked".  Good luck!!

• BabaCheryl
    BabaCheryl Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi just in the past couple of days I suddenly felt a sharp ⚡ pain in my l. nipple. I also have fibromyalgia. I am 68 with too many other health problems including heart ( have 5 stents & pacemaker) I don't know what make of this. It doesn't last more than a moment or two and comes back about every hour or so. It really hurts so I'm grateful it doesn't last long😹 (I also "luvcats" ... Have 3 very loving guys who seem to know when I'm in really bad pain & come & rub against me). I appreciate all the comments & sent up a prayer for those who have & are going through serious illness. I noticed a fair number said their pain was also in their left nipple. Could there be a clue there? I dont feel any lumps ... No swelling or redness just a sudden very sharp pain that took me by surprise & caused me to moan loudly. Thanks everyone for sharing. Cheryl in Surrey BC

• ericsplace
    ericsplace Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

hello read your post last april had pain in right breast called doctor but they wouldn't see me cause i had already had a mammogram like weeks before so i waited another two weeks pain continued and then one night decided to do a self exam i felt a lumpnext day called doctors and they said we'll i'll leave doctor a message see if they'd see you three days later they said yes come in.when i got there i was set up with a nurse practicioner which said to me where is this lump you claim to have after doing the exam they decided i needed a mammogram then ultrasound while having the ultrasound she was only going to do right side but told her they saw something on left she checked with doc .i was dignosed with breast cancer on left pain was on right .they said basically because i was pushy i just knew this was not normal so get checked again. they had changed the mammogram machine days after my last mammogram so it wasn't picked up. god bless your in my prayers

• Gina110775
    Gina110775 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2017
    Options

hi my name is Gina and I'm 41 years old for the last few weeks I have been having shooting pains in my right breast, I'm worried because my auntie past away from having a few different cancers and my Mam is in recovery from having breast cancer I'm scared because I'm disabled. Also and over weight I just don't know what to do so I would love some advise if you can please. Thank you in advanc

• kath1228
    kath1228 Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi all,

Please get stabbing pains checked out. More than likely they are nothing - but I've since connected some stabbing pains I was having to possibly being related to my diagnosis. Again, yours may be nothing - but best to get it checked. Peace of mind is important.

Also, please insist on an ultrasound in addition to mammography - mine was not seen on mammography due to very dense tissue. I went religiously every year for mammo and ultrasound and mine still wasn't found until it was 2.1cm. Not trying to scare anyone at all just passing along my experience in the hopes it can help someone.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,928
    edited June 2017
    Options

Dear Gina, We are sorry that you are having pain and it is causing you worry. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now and probably don't need one more thing to deal with. You pain may not have anything to do with cancer but we and our members generally suggest that you have any changes in your breast health checked out by a physician. That is the best way to obtain peace of mind and hopefully put the worry behind you. Let us know how you make out. The Mods

• tthurmon73
    tthurmon73 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2017
    Options

SadHi I am 44 yrs old and have had a hysterectomy at 32 yrs old. Had a mammorygram about 2 years ago and it was good. I have no insurance and have been having sharp pain in my left breast. I have had 5 back surgeries so I am disabled and unable to do a lot of physical stuff. I am pretty scared and don't know what to do but just pray to the good Lord all is good. I live in Missouri and was wondering if them big RV looking things you see sometimes for mammoragrams are free?? I don't know what ill do if it is bad bc hubby won't have insurance for a year!!!!

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    edited November 2017
    Options

tthurmon73, if you're disabled, have you looked into Social Security Disability? That is a process and can take some time to get (each state is different in how long it takes to get qualified) but comes with financial benefits every month as well as Medicare and in some cases Medicaid as well.

• B3tHAnY
    B3tHAnY Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Options

I know this is 2017 so not many people will see this but I've been a bit worried. I have rare sharp pain in my right breast. It only happens a couple times a year. I've looked up my symptoms and found mastalgia which occurs in women aged 40-50. There's a problem though, I'm 14. I've been getting these occasional pains probably since I was eleven or twelve and they have never occurred around my period. What should I do? Also, how do I tell my Mum cause it's a little embarrassing.