We are 194,672 members in 81 forums discussing 143,960 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Breast MRI Pain

Topic: Breast MRI Pain

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.

Posted on: Apr 11, 2008 04:06PM

RedWeasel wrote:

I already posted this as an update to my existing thread, but I wanted to put it up under the "MRI" subject line, in case anybody else could relate:

I had my breast MRI this morning, and it was grueling.  Has anyone else had extraordinary pain during a breast MRI?  Because of the positioning, there was a lot of pressure to my breastbone at the beginning of the procedure, which transitioned to pain, and then to unbearable pain by the end.  I felt like such a wimp, but I ended up pressing the "panic button" about ten minutes until the end, but the tech talked me through the final two scans, and I made it through.  I think the pain was bearable until I'd had the contrast stuff in for several scans, and got really flushed.  I have bruising between my breasts now, so it hurts to move, and I feel so weak, because I haven't heard anybody else complain about this!

The radiologist was supposed to read the scans this afternoon, type up an evaluation, and fax it to my doctor.  They said I should hear from my doctor by Monday or Tuesday...

Page 2 of 2 (38 results)

Posts 31 - 38 (38 total)

Oct 4, 2017 04:37PM Simbobby wrote:

I had my first ever breast MRI this morning and I had no idea what I was in for. I had no anxiety or pre-conceived fear. I certainly wasn't expecting any pain. About six minutes into the procedure my rib cage when into agonizing muscle spasm and cramping. I had to press the call button to stop the procedure. The tech told me she had never seen anything like this. Really?

There was no padding or cushion on the bars and I am still in pain. My Oncologist won't start my chemo until he has a baseline MRI so it is now rescheduled for next week. He has prescribed a muscle relaxer to take right before the procedure. Sure hope it helps.

Thank you all for confirming that I'm not crazy. There has got to be a better way.

Dx 9/15/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 10/9/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Oct 5, 2017 10:01AM gb2115 wrote:

I would go in there insisting they pad it. My MRI was padded with hospital sheets. There is no reason they can't do that for you.

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen.

Oct 5, 2017 10:40AM tobie2 wrote:

No, you're not crazy, not at all. The muscle relaxant should help. Before the procedure even starts, make sure you're okay with the position and ask for readjustments until you find a position you can withstand for 20 minutes. Tell the doctor s/he may have to talk you through it, Feeling like someone understands your pain makes such a difference.

Oct 5, 2017 10:44AM djmammo wrote:

RedWeasel

It's unfortunately a universal problem and varies somewhat with the manufacturer of the breast coil. The depth and shape of the wells that contain the breasts during the exam insure that the entire breast and a portion of the chest wall are included in the image. Adding padding would pull the breast up and out of the well which may cause the posterior portions of the breast to be excluded from the images. The amount of discomfort also varies with the shape of the patient's rib cage and the relative position of the sternum.

Considering the long acquisition time, and even longer times for biopsies, MRI breast coils need to be redesigned from scratch with patient comfort in mind.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging helping members understand their health care provider's reports and recommendations.

Oct 7, 2017 05:08PM Simbobby wrote:

Failed again. The MRI was rescheduled to yesterday. (Friday) I had to cancel.

The pain from Wednesday's incident continued to worsen and I awoke Friday morning with what felt like internal bruising on my rib cage and it hurt when I moved. I took the muscle relaxer at the nurses recommendation which eliminated the pain when I moved but still hurt when I pressed on the area. There was no way I could endure the pain of my full body weight on that area for any length of time.

So, they have decided to forego the baseline MRI and proceed with chemo treatment. I start Monday.

I am disappointed in myself that I couldn't complete this procedure but perhaps this could have all been avoided if I had been better prepared. I just never anticipated this cramping problem or the aftermath

Dx 9/15/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 10/9/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Oct 12, 2017 01:47PM Ducati wrote:

I had a mammogram 2 days ago. I had severe pain during test, almost cried out loud. I have been in non stop pain for 2 days. My sternum feels likes its broken and with every deep breath I have unbearable pain

Oct 12, 2017 01:59PM ysi wrote:

I am surprised they can't figure out a way to share the weight-load across several points on the body-pelvis pad, shoulder pads-or do they already do that? Isn't that the principle behind a bed of nails-the more nails the less weight on each nail?

Oct 13, 2017 10:10AM Simbobby wrote:

I am now on day ten of treating this pain from the MRI. As ONC recommended, I am alternating heat and ice and alternating Aleve and Xtra strength Tylenol.

I am 63 years old and I'm sure my limited flexibility and old bones contributed to this injury but I wish someone had warned me. Never again!

Page 2 of 2 (38 results)