Join Us

We are 225,038 members in 83 forums discussing 163,853 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Pathology report results - need help, please

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried —

Breast cancer symptoms vary widely. According to the American Cancer Society, in addition to a lump, breast cancer symptoms can include swelling, skin irritation, dimpling, breast pain, changes to the nipple, thickening of the breast skin, or unusual nipple discharge. Still, some breast cancers cause no symptoms at all. Note: Please do not post pictures of your symptoms. It's important to have anything unusual checked by your doctor

Posted on: Aug 11, 2008 05:31PM

082176Momto2 wrote:

Hello again all,

I wrote a few days ago and was wondering about conflicting reports from surgeon and radiologist.  I received by pathology report (from core biopsy) and it states the following:

1.  fibroademotateous type lesion.

2.  there are focal fibrocystic changes and ductal hyperplasia. 

3.  ther are microcalicifications present associated with ductal epithelium.

Again, the surgeon recommended a 6 month follow-up.  What do you all think?  Should I get a second opinion. 

Thanks, Mary

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Aug 11, 2008 05:44PM Beesie wrote:

Mary, everything in there is completely benign.  Basically, you have fibrocystic breasts (which 50% - 60% of women have) and you have a number of fairly common conditions associated with having fibrocystic breasts.  The ductal hyperplasia, if there is a lot of it, may increase your future risk very slightly, but if you don't have very many other risk factors, your overall risk will still be pretty much average. 

The 6 month follow-up seems very reasonable.

FYI, here is a website that explains what's found in breast biopsies: http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/breast.html#

Dx 9/15/2005 Right, 7cm+, DCIS-Mi, Stage IA, Gr 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- ** Dx 01/16/2019 Left, 8mm, IDC, Stage IA, Gr 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) ** Surgery 11/30/2005 MX Right, 03/06/2019 MX Left ** Hormonal Therapy 05/2019 Letrozole

Aug 11, 2008 07:39PM Shirlann wrote:

Forget it, as Beesie says, go in at 6 months as told and put this out of your mind.  You have  had tissue under a microscope and that is almost bullet proof.  So go on with your life and put this on a shelf.

Gentle hugs, Shirlann 

Aug 11, 2008 08:27PM awb wrote:

sounds like all benign findings---6 month f/u sounds like they are just being cautious and should be fine.  Did radiologist say something different from surgeon?

Anne

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future" Dx 9/5/2003, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes Surgery 9/16/2003 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2003 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/5/2005 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2009 Evista (raloxifene)

Aug 12, 2008 10:22AM 082176Momto2 wrote:

Thanks for all your thoughts, ladies.  Anne, the surgeon originally let me go without requiring a 6 month follow up.  She said I could just go to my annual mammogram next year.  She then called me the next day and said "she met with radiologist panel and they still don't like my pictures".  She then recommended 6 month follow-up so I was just curious as to what they didn't like.  I have since gotten a copy of original mammogram report and u/s report and they were just focusing on this "definitely non-cystic" 1.0 cm mass with undefined borders.  I always thought the pathology report was the definitive answer though and that seems to be benign.  You can't help but worry, though.  This is all still so new to me.  As I previously stated, I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 8 weeks ago so still not completely recovered from that.  The hysterectomy was for multiple (9) fibroid tumors that grew quite a bit in the last year - so I am wondering if the fibroadenomatous lesion in breast could have something to do with that as well.  I don't know.  You know how your mind gets carried away.

I just want to thank all you ladies on this site.  It has been a wonderful source of support and information.  With all you have been through, you give back so much ... so a round of applause to you all.  Thanks again, Mary.

Aug 12, 2008 10:30AM Beesie wrote:

Mary,

A core biopsy is only able to pick up a sample of the breast tissue.  While usually that's a representative sample, there's always a small possibility that something could be missed.  This is why a 6 month follow-up is often scheduled even after a benign biopsy.  This is simply a precaution to ensure that nothing further has changed. 

In your case, I'm guessing that they probably want to watch the microcalcifications just to be sure that more calcifications don't appear.  This is very normal practice.  I had a biopsy for calcifications that turned out to be benign and I had the 6 month follow-up too.  Everything was fine after 6 months and have continued to be fine since that time (3 years).

Dx 9/15/2005 Right, 7cm+, DCIS-Mi, Stage IA, Gr 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- ** Dx 01/16/2019 Left, 8mm, IDC, Stage IA, Gr 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) ** Surgery 11/30/2005 MX Right, 03/06/2019 MX Left ** Hormonal Therapy 05/2019 Letrozole

Aug 12, 2008 11:10AM 082176Momto2 wrote:

Thanks.Smile

Feb 4, 2009 05:49PM kendall07 wrote:

Newly diagnosed with lesions in both breasts.  had two mamms, four ultrasound and an mri.  have three 3 cm lesions in right, one 1 cm in left.  mother's sister and her daughter had breast cancer.  considering double mastectomy, don't want to go through this all again.  any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.  feeling overwhelmed, in shock, surreal.  is this normal? 

Feb 4, 2009 06:22PM pdlc436 wrote:

Dear Mom2to,

From my Breast Cancer: The Complete Guide by Dr. Peter Pressman, page 46.

1.  fibroademotateous type lesion.

The term fibroadenoma is used to describe an orderly growth of cells, confined to the breast, that results in benign, movable, and rounded lumps.

2.  there are focal fibrocystic changes and ductal hyperplasia. 

...the terms fibrocystic disease and cystic mastitis would be best put to rest.  They are "nondiseases." ...Very rarely do these changes result in the risk of cancer ...There is however, one caution to be mentioned here: Sometimes a lumpy area is surgically removed and the pathologist's conclusion from his postsurgery examination is "fibrocystic disease." He may tell us that he has seen under a microscope a condition called hyperplasia (too many cells in the tissue he's examining) or atypia (the appearance of cells is unusua, or "atypical").  While hyperplasia alone is not associated with an increased risk of breast cancer, women with extensive atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) are more likely to develop breast cancer.

3.  ther are microcalicifications present associated with ductal epithelium.

Page 81 Mammograms often show groups of microcalcifications whose nature needs to be investigated...Mammotome biopsy is an effective way to find out whether they areassociated with benign or malignant tissue changes. 

Page 86 Microcalcifications are suspect if they are clustered in one area of the breast or are branching in appearance.  In most stances, scattered specks of calcium are no problem...they ought to be investigated if they have appeared since the last mammogram.

I hope this information helps!

PldC

Dx 1/13/2009, IDC, 2cm, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 10/2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 3, ER+, HER2+

Feb 5, 2009 06:00PM leaf wrote:

It is absolutely normal to feel overwhelmed, in shock, and surreal.  I was crying at home and at work. 

Women deal with this in different ways.  Some women find distraction helps (cleaning, retail therapy, religion, meditation, watching comedies,vigorous exercise, whatever works for you - and is healthy.)

If this doesn't help, some people ask for anti-anxiety meds.  

We all want to be ready for whatever is on our path ahead of us.  We try to find the worst case scenario, so that when we get the results, it won't be any worse than our worst case scenario.  We try to 'protect' ourselves that way.

Hang in there.  Feel free to ask questions or vent.

Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)