Join Us

We are 223,107 members in 83 forums discussing 162,829 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Young with breast hamartoma...next steps???

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried —

Breast cancer symptoms vary widely. According to the American Cancer Society, in addition to a lump, breast cancer symptoms can include swelling, skin irritation, dimpling, breast pain, changes to the nipple, thickening of the breast skin, or unusual nipple discharge. Still, some breast cancers cause no symptoms at all. Note: Please do not post pictures of your symptoms. It's important to have anything unusual checked by your doctor

Posted on: Jul 26, 2012 03:33PM

Love42day wrote:

I didn't know where else to turn other then here because google keeps brining up searches saying breast hamartomas are rare. I would really appreciate advice from anyone who has had breast hamartomas before.

Brief history:

I may have had a tumor in my labia that started growing when I was 8. I had exploritory surgery with indefinite results. It grew back bigger and faster, which led to a gyno-oncologist removing more tissue at age 11. Cancer not suspected. My thoughts...could this have been hormone/puburty induced?

Current issue:

28 years of age. Family history of breast cancer. Started oral birth control January 2011, which made me nauseous. Stopped. Started different oral birth control November 2011 because getting married May 2012. Breast swelled by February. Painless lump formed by May in L.Breast. Breast nearly tripled in size by June with severe pain and new lump formed in R.Breast. Went to Gyno this week who suspected fluid cysts consistent with oral side effects. Hamartoma diagnosed instead. IUD recommended due to likely hormone sensitivity and possible correlation to problem.

My questions:

*Due to breast hamartoma being rare and unexpected by drs, should I insist on blood work and/or biopsy before 3 month follow up to be sure it is not cancer? I am concerned because I have had an atypical history of growths.

*If I have it removed, do they usually grow back anyway? In addition, because mine is measured to be over 2 inches (very large by their standards), is reconstruction usually needed after removal?

*Has anyone this sensitive to hormonal changes gone through pregnancy and how did that affect breast health and/or breast feeding? Does reconstruction alter ability to breast feed?

Too many questions going through my mind...

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jul 26, 2012 04:44PM - edited Jul 26, 2012 04:45PM by liefie

Love42day,

I have never heard of a breast hamartoma, so I googled a little. It says that very rarely does a hamartoma cause cancer. Maybe your surgeon can answer your questions, seeing that it is such a rare condition. He will be able to tell you if recon will be necessary, as well as answer your questions about breast health/feeding.

Just try to stay calm, and do get a second opinion if you are not comfortable and satisfied with the first one. You are your own best advocate, don't forget that.

Hugs to you in this scary time.

When life knocks you down, roll over, and look at the stars. Dx 12/19/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/7/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 3/7/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 5/31/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2012 Surgery 5/16/2013 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap

May 11, 2013 11:23PM QuirkyMom wrote:

I also have a hamartoma that developed when I was nursing/pregnant. Now I'm peri menopause and it is growing - I'm thinking because of hormonal changes. What was your outcome? I'm seeing the surgeon tuesday and planning to have it out

May 29, 2013 02:52PM Love42day wrote:

Hello QuirkyMom,

Sorry to hear your hamartoma is growing again. I have found in my case that these tumors definitely reactivate during hormonal changes (i.e. during puberty, start of birth control and now I'm 8 months pregnant!) My left breast is significantfly larger (grew a lot during 1st trimester) and I'm waiting and hoping I can breastfeed despite the tumors. Sounds like you were still able to nurse. My doc wanted me to do another US and possible biopsy, but I chose not to until after giving birth. At this time it's just not on my priority list and currently is not intolerably painful. During puberty I did have one removed, but it grew back over 3 years because I was still going through puberty. Therefore, I don't want to waste time, energy, surgery until I am nearing the end of hormonal changes. Interesting to hear it flares up again at menopause...makes sense though. Thanks for sharing. At least I won't be surprised down the road that it will likely grow again. Perhaps I can hold off a couple decades before having them removed hopefully once and for all. Best wishes to you for a successful surgery...may it be the one and only one you have to have! Keep me posted on your recovery :)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)