We are 215,398 members in 81 forums discussing 153,221 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Sharp pains

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.

Posted on: Mar 10, 2013 11:13PM

003elena wrote:

Hi everyone.  I'm new to this forum and find it very helpful and really appreciate everyone tellin their story.  I've not been diagnoised but a bit worried.  Over the last year have been schedule for an ultrasound for both breast 5month than 6 month intervals.  over the last 2 months have been having intermittant sharp pain in my right breast, upper shoulder and arm discomfort.  not sure if its related or not but my guts been telling me not to wait another 2 months till my next scheduled ultrasound.  I'm hearing so many people telling me not to worry cause i have pain, or that its hormonal. Has anyone had this before?? 

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Mar 11, 2013 06:34AM Julienne wrote:

If it were me I would get it checked out, it may well turn out to be nothing of major concern ( to the doctors anyway) but if your gut is telling you not to wait you may well benefit from the peace of mind. Breasts do seem to become much more uncomfortable and sensitive when we are hyper aware of them, but being reassured by a professional does seem to go a long way to settling that gut instinct. Hope all will be well for you.

Mar 11, 2013 09:01AM indenial wrote:

Two sides of this... I did have pain with my breast cancer, quite a bit in fact... that's how I found my lump, trying to pinpoint the pain. So don't let people tell you BC is not painful!!

On the flip side... after I was diagnosed I became really worried about sharp pains in the opposite breast, some of which felt similar to the cancerous breast pain. There wasn't any cancer in that breast, so it was more of a psychological thing.

So most breast pain is probably harmless but pain does not rule out the possibility of BC. If something is telling you to retest sooner, DO IT. You know your body best.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. ~C.C. Scott Dx 2/11/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/27/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 4/10/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/3/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 5/11/2016, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+ Surgery 5/27/2016 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Mar 12, 2013 09:25PM 003elena wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I was finally able to scheduled a follow up.  I have no insurance so I had to get approval through Bcccp program. After 5 frustrating calls and persistence on my behalf, it was well worth it. Now I just have to wait til my appointment on friday to figure out what is going on.     Thank you

Jul 6, 2013 12:49AM doctorjha wrote:

This Post has been removed by the Community.

Jul 6, 2013 08:23AM flash wrote:

doctorhja- Yes, pain is unusual but it IS sometimes a rare symptom. It IS rare but please don't dismiss it as not ever occurring.  You are right, the psychology of the mind and its effect on the body is also very important to acknowledge.  

003elena- I hope it all goes well.  Pain is a very rare symptom but it's worth getting checked out just so your body is not undergoing the stress hormones from worrying.  Good luck.

multifocal multicentric IDC, DCIS, pagets et al. - er+,pr+ her2+++, mast,chemo, ooph, hyst Dx 10/10/2007, Paget's, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 6, 2013 08:37AM slv58 wrote:

I had pain with my lump. I found it because of an ache. Please don't tell people that bc doesn't hurt-there are a lot of women who experience pain or discomfort, bottom line, if you are concerned-get it checked out. As my tumour grew, it became increasingly painful to the point of not being able to sleep on that side-I at that point was waiting for pathology.

Shari "my clouds are always silver" Chemotherapy 1/23/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 6/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/5/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 3/10/2015 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 4/22/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine)

Jul 6, 2013 09:45AM indenial wrote:

Doctorjha, I had pain before I even knew I had a lump, so it was not psychological. My doctor failed to correctly diagnose my breast cancer because he felt there is no pain with cancer. I could have been diagnosed 6 months sooner if my doctor had been more informed & open-minded on this issue.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. ~C.C. Scott Dx 2/11/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/27/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 4/10/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/3/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 5/11/2016, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+ Surgery 5/27/2016 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Jul 6, 2013 10:09AM slv58 wrote:

I see doctorjha's comment has been removed. Thanks mods I really felt that was misleading

Shari "my clouds are always silver" Chemotherapy 1/23/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 6/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/5/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 3/10/2015 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 4/22/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine)

Sep 10, 2013 07:38PM rezgal0929 wrote:

You should never let anything go, no matter the time because i had a doctor where i live that missed my lump for several years and when i was changing doctors they discovered that i now have breast cancer and i am still trying to grasp that had the doctor spent a little time with me and not rushed me out it wouldn't be as bad as it is now.

Jan 15, 2016 03:09PM Doulabarb wrote:

Hello,Thank-You for sharing this with us. My lump in my breast was painful before I was even diagnosed. My mother always said " If you do not have pain you do not have cancer" guess that was an old wives tale. I did have pain and I do have Breast Cancer. I hope you are healing well.

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)