We are 191,656 members in 81 forums discussing 142,730 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: It doesn't help when the Dr says "I don't want you to worry".

Topic: It doesn't help when the Dr says "I don't want you to worry".

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.

Posted on: Apr 20, 2017 12:46PM

CowgirlsandAngels wrote:

I'm a newbie here, and I've been reading through some of your threads.

5 days ago I found a lump at 12 o'clock in my left breast. It is about the size of a walnut, and not painful.

My left breast has often had shooting pains that feel like they start at my nipple and head in towards my chest wall. The same place as my lump. I've just contributed it to part of being a woman.

I'm 39, and haven't had a mammogram yet.

I saw my GP today who has sent a referral for an urgent diagnostic mammogram, which she warned can still take weeks.

She said she would say it feels like a clogged milk duct, but it's not possible, as my baby is 10 years old.

She made mention of the very prominent veins on my breast as well. And she said, "Don't be alarmed, these could be normal."

She assured me that I had no reason to worry. But I'm not feeling very reassured. Our health care system seems to move in slow motion. I wish I had something else to think about and focus on.

Tick. Took.

Page 1 of 1 (26 results)

Posts 1 - 26 (26 total)

Apr 20, 2017 01:58PM gb2115 wrote:

Where do you live? Waiting weeks for a diagnostic mammogram seems like an awfully long time.

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen.

Apr 20, 2017 03:37PM CowgirlsandAngels wrote:

I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada.

As soon as I posted the message above the diagnostic clinic called for me to come in immediately.

The breast with the lump had a noticeable amount of clear fluid expressed during the mammogram. The technician said that it happens sometimes. But I was alarmed. My baby is 10 years old, and I've never had any discharge from my nipple since I stopped nursing 9 years ago.

Apr 20, 2017 03:45PM djmammo wrote:

Cowgirl

Let us know what they say

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging helping members understand their health care provider's reports and recommendations.

Apr 20, 2017 03:53PM CowgirlsandAngels wrote:

I definitely will let you know.

When I first walked in to the screening room the technician said it would be two weeks before my Dr had the results.

I asked to see the images afterwards and she pointed out the area when the lump was. It didn't mean anything to my untrained eye.

As I was leaving, she walked me out and said "it will NOT take 2 weeks for your doctor to get THIS report", if she was trying to reassure me, it didn't work.

Apr 20, 2017 04:01PM djmammo wrote:

C'girl

When something cannot wait the radiologist will call the ordering physician. This saves lots of time.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging helping members understand their health care provider's reports and recommendations.

Apr 20, 2017 08:51PM Logang wrote:

Sending hugs CowgirlsandAngels! The waiting is the worst part!

Married mother of 2 boys (15 & 19). Diagnosed at age 39, Oncotype- 57, extensive family history, no genetic mutations found. Dx 1/8/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/31 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 1/25/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/11/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 7/26/2016 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 9/19/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 11/3/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 4/10/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Apr 21, 2017 12:26AM Beatmon wrote:

Hope you get a good repor

Dx 7/27/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 8/8/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 11/30/2013 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 6/30/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 8/9/2014, IDC, Both breasts, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 8/26/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 8/26/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/26/2014 Taxotere (docetaxel)

Apr 24, 2017 10:22AM CowgirlsandAngels wrote:

I just got a call from the doctor's office that my mammogram results are incomplete and I'm scheduled for an ultrasound in 11 days.

The waiting is the worst.

Apr 24, 2017 10:29AM mamalove wrote:

C'girl,

I am sorry that you are going through this! It is scary! I too am in the waiting phase and am beside myself. I do not have any advice for you but wanted to send you love and all of my healing vibes. Stand tall and strong my friend....we will overcome!

Apr 24, 2017 12:10PM CowgirlsandAngels wrote:

Thank you! I feel like the uncertainty is the worst part, don't you?

Just give me an action plan. Give me something constructive to do.

I'm staying busy, but not busy enough.

Apr 24, 2017 12:21PM mamalove wrote:

C'girl,

I hear you! I feel almost zombie like in the sense that I am functioning on a much lower level. Sleep has eluded me...how about you?

I got word this morning that I go see my GP in the morning to discuss the results. I feel as though I know what is coming and it scares me.

You are in my thoughts and prayers C'girl! PM me anytime if you need a friend.

Be strong! Be encouraged! No matter the outcome....we will prevail! :-)

Apr 24, 2017 12:38PM djmammo wrote:

CG&A

Do you have the written report that prompted that phone call or were any more details given to you during that call?

Apr 24, 2017 12:39PM CowgirlsandAngels wrote:

Please keep me posted on tomorrow's appointment Mamalove.

I'll send good thoughts and strength your way!

Apr 24, 2017 01:01PM mamalove wrote:

C'girl,

Thank you, I apprecaite that very much!

I will indeed keep you posted and hope that you will do the same. Be blessed! :-)

Apr 24, 2017 01:29PM - edited Apr 24, 2017 01:29PM by CowgirlsandAngels

DJMAMMO the receptionist from my doctor's office called this morning to tell me that I had to go for an Ultrasound on May 5th.

My doctor is out of the office and I asked her what the report said. She said "All it says is that the mammogram is inconclusive and an ultrasound is the next step".

There is a palpable mass. And the technician pointed out where the mass was on the image before I left.

I wish I could just put it out of my mind.

Apr 24, 2017 03:50PM Moderators wrote:

We are here for you all! Please let us know!

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Apr 24, 2017 06:52PM bevin wrote:

Can you be placed on a list for cancellations so they can move your appointment  up? Can you go to another facility where they can get you in sooner. 10 days is silly for an ultrasound. I'd think you should be able to get in within 3 days.

Age 45, Oncotype 11, Primary Tumor 2.1 cm, smaller satellite tumor nearby Dx 8/8/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/10/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/10/2010 Breast

Apr 24, 2017 07:36PM CowgirlsandAngels wrote:

Thanks bevin, I am on the cancellation list, but I was told not to expect a call since the diagnostic clinic is due to shut down for maintenance the following week and they are trying to squeeze everyone in.

I looked at private clinics to see if I could get in earlier. But the closest is a 2.5 hour flight away.

I'm in Canada, and although we don't pay for our Healthcare out of pocket, the wait times are ridiculous. This afternoon I checked the website that gives estimated wait times for breast screening, and it said the wait time in our province for a biopsy is 26 days. So even after the ultrasound, if I'll need a biopsy, it's going to take almost another 4 weeks.

I don't know if my brain can handle all of those waiting.

Apr 25, 2017 07:00PM bevin wrote:

Oh goodness. Sorry about the long wait, it seems you're really on top of looking at all options. Hope that all goes well and you wont' need the biopsy. while waiting for appointments be kind to yourself. Do things for you and take time to be with your friends and family. Keep us posted . wishing you well.

Age 45, Oncotype 11, Primary Tumor 2.1 cm, smaller satellite tumor nearby Dx 8/8/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/10/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/10/2010 Breast

Apr 28, 2017 04:31PM CowgirlsandAngels wrote:

The diagnostic clinic called this afternoon. I was hoping it was for a cancellation because I was on the list.

Nope.

They've rebooked me from May 5th to May 15th.

This is hard on the old head.

Apr 28, 2017 04:37PM MTwoman wrote:

Oh goodness, SO sorry cowgirls! Hang in there!

waiting sucks

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/19/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

May 15, 2017 03:00PM CowgirlsandAngels wrote:

I finally had my ultrasound Today, I didn't see the radiologist, only the technician.

She told me that I had at least a dozen cysts, one of them was really large but she didn't tell me the dimensions.

My family doctor will have the full report in a week. And that I will most likely need follow ups every 6 months.

I'm exhaling, this feels like good news.

May 15, 2017 03:11PM MTwoman wrote:

cysts (given the alternative) are great news! Congratulations! and make sure to keep up your 6 month rechecks.

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/19/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

May 24, 2017 06:17PM CowgirlsandAngels wrote:

The receptionist finally called today, the doctor only received the report this morning.

All simple cysts. Birads 2 and follow up in 6 months.

Phewff.

Thank you all for your support while I felt like I was losing my mind. I appreciate all of you.

May 24, 2017 07:00PM MTwoman wrote:

Yay! Awful to wait so long, but so glad it was good news.

May 24, 2017 08:23PM lrwells50 wrote:

I am very lucky in that the radiologist that reads my mammos is married to a good friend. I hadn't even gotten dressed before he told them to bring me back to show me the tumor. He came in the next day on his day off to do the biopsy. Unfortunately it was Friday, so I had to wait until Monday for the path report. He was shocked when the surgery labs came back ILC, because he said it looked like a typical spiculated IDC mass. He said he'd seen lots of reports that said IDC with lobular characteristics, but this was the first one that said lobular with IDC characterization

OncotypeDx 24, I think because although I was 100% ER+, I was very weakly PR+ . BARD1 mutation, mother had breast cancer twice. Dx 12/5/2016, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/7/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/18/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (26 results)