We are 193,484 members in 81 forums discussing 143,482 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed but Worried → Topic: Dimple on breast- wait for appointment or urgent care?

Topic: Dimple on breast- wait for appointment or urgent care?

Forum: Not Diagnosed but Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.

Posted on: May 19, 2017 01:23PM

Holly0904 wrote:

This past Monday I found a dimple in my lower left breast to the left of my areola, only when I flex my arms in a "muscle man" pose. No other pose shows it and I have found no lumps, bumps, or anything else, but googling is terrifying me! I got my period the same day I found it, and never have had tender breasts before, but they have been tender this entire week, almost feeling irritated the way they did when I was pregnant and nursing. I have scheduled an appointment with my PCP, but she can't see me until July 25th and everything I'm reading on google is telling me that it could be IBC and that I need to act fast. I don't quite know why I'm posting here, maybe for advice or maybe just to get it out to someone besides my husband who doesn't seem to be worried, but I'm concerned. I'm 26 and never would have thought to check if I wouldn't have had a swollen duct when I was 16 that I had to get taken care of. The doctor I saw then showed me different ways to check myself in the future, which has brought me to today. I have been checking every day and just looking to make sure there's no changes, and so far everything is the same. a little less tender in both breasts, but the dimpling is still there and still the same. No lumps, no bumps, and it's near a stretch mark but not a part of it. I'm worried about waiting for an appointment, but wondering if it would be an over reaction to go to urgent care. I am a worrier and tend to over react, and my husband seems so calm about it, so I don't know what to do.

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

May 19, 2017 01:36PM MelissaDallas wrote:

A dimple in your breast that only shows in a single exaggerated pose sure doesn't sound anything like IBC to me.Urgent care is not set up to deal with anything breast related except maybe an infection. Neither is the emergency room, for that matter. A two month wait is pretty common - I wait at least that long. Honestly, this does not sound like an emergency or urgent situation. You might contact the center and let them know that you'd like to get on their cancellation list if they had a slot open up.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

May 19, 2017 01:41PM MTwoman wrote:

Okay Holly, STOP googling. It isn't going to give you any really useful or credible information. Now, do you have an ob/gyn who could see you sooner? Given that a "dimple" is the only symptom you have, except for potentially hormone driven breast tenderness, I wouldn't be freaking out. And I definitely wouldn't be thinking IBC, which is the most rare type of bc. Take a breath. Think about it this way. If you found this dimple anywhere else on your body, would you be freaking out? Do you have other factors that raise your personal risk for bc? If the answer to these two questions is "no", then slow down. There is plenty of time to get in to see a regular provider. I do know it can be anxiety provoking to have something new and unusual happening with your breast, but the vast majority of breast findings are B9, not to mention the extremely low numbers of women in the 20's who have bc.

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

May 19, 2017 01:42PM Holly0904 wrote:

Thank you for the response MelissaDallas. Like I said earlier, I tend to over react to simple things, so this terrifies me and I wanted to get advice from other people who have more experience than I do before I jump the gun. I probably should stop googling and just wait for my appointment because I'm sure google is just enhancing my fear and helping me over react. I'll definitely call and see if they can alert me to an opening or cancellation, thanks!

May 19, 2017 01:48PM Holly0904 wrote:

MT woman I will be sure to stop googling, it's doing nothing besides scaring me even more. I do have a history of breast cancer in my extended family, but not my grandmother or mother, so that is slightly comforting. If I saw this dimple anywhere else I would assume it was cellulite and move on. I don't have an OB that I can see sooner, and I could only get in with my PCP in a couple of months, so I'll just have to wait it out and try to be calm in the mean time. I'm hoping it's nothing or something easily remedied, but your comments have helped more than anything i have told myself, so I thank you!

May 19, 2017 02:15PM MelissaDallas wrote:

When you say extended, but not your grandmother or mother, especially if that cancer was diagnosed in someone over 50, that isn't much, if any of a risk. Cancer is a function of aging to a big degree. If we live long enough and heart disease doesn't get us first, we are all very likely to develop some kind of cancer or another in old age. We used to just die of heart disease before we got old enough to get cancer.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

May 19, 2017 03:30PM - edited May 19, 2017 03:39PM by Kicks

What makes you think IBC? A 'dimple' and ' tenderness? So many possibilities!

IBC is rare - only between 1 and 5 who actually have a DX of some type of BC will be IBC.

Though IBC has no 'set in stone rules' it follows, it did not present with your 'issues' of 'tenderness' and a dimple' (or progress to them) for me. It was 7 days from presentation to DX and another 17 days til started neoadjuvant chemo.

Stay away from 'Dr Quack Google'! There is fantastic info/resources to be found there - BUT - there is also a bunch of bogus 'junk' there.

Added: At this time you have nothing going on that is in the realm of 'Urgent/Emergency Care' facilities. If there are changes that present - possibly depending on what they are. UC/ER are no for DXing a possiblity of some BC.

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/24/2009 AC Surgery 10/20/2009 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/10/2009 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/3/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes

May 19, 2017 03:32PM Kicks wrote:

Well put Melissa!

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/24/2009 AC Surgery 10/20/2009 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/10/2009 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/3/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes

May 19, 2017 03:52PM Holly0904 wrote:

It was the Dr. Quack as you put it that led me to IBC, by the way, that's a perfect descriptive for google! I looked up what the dimpling might mean and it took me directly to IBC which also included the tenderness, but a myriad of other symptoms I do not have as well. I don't really think that's what it is, but everything I was reading was telling me to get it checked out asap, so I got a little more concerned. I also looked up different images of other women who had dimples in their breasts, and several looked exactly like what I have going on. Reading your ladies comments has helped plenty though, I'm much more calm and convinced that I will wait until my appointment and get it checked out. I haven't noticed anything other than the dimple and tenderness, but as I said in my original post, that could have been because of my cycle starting. You have all helped more than I expected, I needed someone who is experienced and not google to scare the pants off of me! I almost always over react, so I'm glad I posted here to calm myself.

May 19, 2017 04:37PM MTwoman wrote:

So glad you're feeling calmer Holly! Good luck!

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

May 20, 2017 12:36PM Holly0904 wrote:

Thank you MTwoman, much calmer! I knew in the back of my mind I was overreacting, but with my anxiety level that high, I knew there wasn't going to be too much I could do to calm myself, so thank you all! I'm going to keep an eye out for any other changes, and unless I see something else concerning, I'm going to wait till my appointment. I'm glad I didn't go off the rails and run to urgent care, thank goodness for you ladies and a husband that's always calm and rational. I'll be sure to check back in after my appointment and update you all. Thanks again ladies!

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)