Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Worried About Oozing Bleeding Areola

Options
lilpupper
lilpupper Member Posts: 25
edited January 2021 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

I've been dealing with this problem with my breast since February, a flaky and dry nipple (not really itchy at all). More recently the whole nipple and areola appears almost raw looking and oozes a clear-ish tinted yellow substance constantly (not from the tip of the nipple). This has caused me to start putting a large gauze pad (folded into quarters so its thicker than a slice of bread) into my bra every single day. The amount of discharge can still come through the pad of gauze quite easily.

I recently saw a gynecologist for the issue, she looked at it and did a breast exam, took some swabs and ordered that I get bloodwork and a breast ultrasound done. I started crying in her office. The only reassuring thing is that I have a small dry spot on my other nipple too (though tiny and insignificant in comarison to the open wound that is my left nipple) which should make padgets even more unlikely, she assured me. She recommended the hospital's breast center for the ultrasound because they have a 'rapport' and "so that everything's in the same place in case something needs to be taken out." I can't get this statement out of my head.

For the past two days blood has stated appearing in the gauze. It's happened before, only extremely sparsely. It's still not a lot of blood but comparatively the bleeding seems to have 'evolved' and I'm extremely worried. I feel disgusting and after a shower I nearly always end up crying from the stress of it all.

I'm extremely worried about padgets and bc in general. The problen breast is my left, which has always been my bigger one, though it seems more so now. I can't tell if I'm just being paranoid at this point. Can anybody tell me if they've had a similar experience? Should my gyno have said what she said? Does she already think the worst and just didn't want to say it outright?

I'll update when I've had the ultrasound.

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited July 2017
    Options

I am so sorry you are having problems, but absolutely shocked that this has been going on since February and you just went to the doc. When is your appointment with the breast center? She's right about a good place to be in case they need to do a biopsy, but she is NOT telling you that she "knows" what's wrong. Hope you don't have to wait too long.

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

I waited because I assumed it would go away eventually, it wasnt anywhere near this bad in the beginning... but no matter what the issue is, I think that was a mistake. I'm constantly uncomfortable everyday now and its just getting worse. Sad

My appointment is on Wednesday, so its very soon, which I'm glad about. I just hope I get it figured out soon, I've never felt so vulnerable in my life.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Please let us know how it goes. Hopefully you will get some answers and relief

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thank you for the sympathy! I really do appreciate it. I'm really nervous about tommorow. A surprisingly large chunk of that worry actually comes from how awful and damaged my nipple/areola actually looks. It oozes constantly and I imagine I won't be able to have a gauze pad on it during the ultrasound. Ugh.

I'm glad I went with the hospital instead of a normal imaging center though, it makes me feel more assured that they won't be visibly bothered by the gross factor. Its so weird having a 'real', worrying medical issue, I feel like I'm dreaming. Depending on the results I might get sent to a dermatologist or I might need a biopsy or MRI. There's no, "don't wory nothing is wrong with your body" option. But I hope its just a skin problem, and not bc, and that's likely, statically.

At this point I'm just rambling, I hope that's okay here, theres not really anyone I can comfortably talk to about this, so putting it 'out there' so to speak makes me feel a bit better.

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

I've gotten back from my ultrasound. The ultrasound tech left the room to ask the radiologist on site if they needed more pictures, (and they didn't) but other than that, it was unremarkable. The ultrasound tech said that "everything looked okay" and that my gynecologist should have the results in 1-2 days and will call. I'm not entirely sure what this means and I feel like I should have asked questions.

This is encouraging news, right? (Or is it no news at all yet?) In any case I still have to live with my painful nipple and I feel like I'm no closer to this being done with. Waiting is so difficult and the balance between wanting to be optimistic and not wanting to miss anything important is exhausting.

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2017
    Options

Waiting is awful. I think that you will have to wait until you have the final report and speak to your physician, but it encouraging to hear "everything looked okay". Much better than the alternative. But you want answers about what this is, so if the report says there was nothing malignant (or even b9 with the potential to cause your breast issues) then I would immediately ask what the next step is. Btw, did you ever hear back from the swab they took?

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

I thought as much, hopefully my doctor will say the same about my ultrasound, its likely I think. I've heard nothing from the swab, I'll be sure to ask about that and what to do next whenever my appointment is, hopefully soon. Not figuring out whats wrong isn't really an option since the problem is significant and doesn't seem to be letting up in any way, which I'm almost glad for. It means that I can't personally choose to ignore it and neither can doctors (not that I'm suggesting they would on purpose.) Thank you so much for your response!

• MTwoman
    edited July 2017
    Options

Absolutely don't ignore it! And even if it's not bc (hopefully you continue to get b9 results), something is causing your considerable symptoms and distress. Please do let us know what happens with your doc. Good luck!

• Lorri70
    Lorri70 Member Posts: 107
    edited July 2017
    Options

lilpupper, I would absolutely demand a biopsy it shouldn't be ignored it's doubtful that it's Pagets as it's rare, however as you can see I had Paget's and it is very rare but unfortunately it's only deyected by a biopsy I had a ultrasound and a mammogram and all showed up nothing I don't want to frighten you but this should not be left untreated, it is possibly only dermatitis ezcema etc please insist on a biopsy

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

Lorri, I know that padgets is only definitively ruled out by biopsy, which is worrying me pretty significantly. I imagine my doctor will want to exhaust other options first which I'm not looking forward to (I'd rather get a biopsy over with first.) I've tried two different steroid creams (one prescribed, one otc) over periods of at least two weeks before even going to the doctor with no real discernable result, which makes me worry that this isn't dermatitis. I'm hoping for my diagnosis to be some form of skin infection or fungus haha.

Thank you very much for your response, I will plan on being as assertive as I can about my padgets concern and desire for a biopsy. If (and thats a big if) it does turn out to be padgets then that means the symptoms won't go away with incorrect treatments (I think), in which case I'll have to have a biopsy anway. But you're definitely right and I'd like a biopsy as soon as possible if I don't get concrete answers.

• Lorri70
    edited July 2017
    Options

I just noticed you say it's in both nipples which is reassuring and if it's any consolation I had no discharge from my nipple and it was mad itchy at times

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

Yes, I was relived when the small dry spot appeared on my other nipple, though it did show up a long while after the first one. I wouldn't say my left nipple is itchy though it does sting quite a lot. I can't imagine itching it honestly, the area is too raw for that to be anything but painful. I think discharge is a fairly common symptom but that coming from someone who has been diagnosed pagets does comfort me a lil, thank you.

Everytime I think I've managed to calm myself down I end up brushing up against something or having to change my gauze and its like some kind of fresh torture all over again. Whatever it is, I just want it gone...

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

So I realize fully that this is silly, but: when I took a peek at the ultrasound pictures when the ultrasound tech left the room, I saw a number of images (though I assume these were different angles of the same thing) with big looking dark black splotches, which were not circular and looked somewhat like paint splatters. I'm just venting but it makes me nervous that all she meant by "everything looks good" is that they got good, usable images.

I know I just have to wait for my doctor to call but I can't help but feel anxious.

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155
    edited July 2017
    Options

Youre not a radiologist, don't try to read the ultrasounds. I'm a little surprised that the radiologist didn't speak to you. When I was diagnosed, the radiologist came in to look at the us and asked if he could do a biopsy right then and there. I'd guess that they didn't see anything concerning.

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

I know I'm sorry, I'm just anxious.

• MTwoman
    edited July 2017
    Options

I know it's difficult, lilpupper, hang on and keep breathing. When is your appointment with your doc scheduled so you can get definitive answers about the us?

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

It's not scheduled, they said my doc will get the results in 1-3 days (not including weekends I assume) and her office will call me.

• MTwoman
    edited July 2017
    Options

You know what? I'd call the office tomorrow morning. early. and find out if they have them and, if so, can you go in to talk about them. No sense waiting over the weekend if you don't have to. Good luck!

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

That's a good idea! I'll call in the morning. On fridays they close at noon so I don't know if they'd have time for me, but maybe I can at least get an appointment scheduled. No harm in trying

• MTwoman
    edited July 2017
    Options

Absolutely!

• Lorri70
    edited July 2017
    Options

I think you could call all they can do is say no results yet be peace of mind waiting over the weekend, I know what waiting is like I waited weeks as they couldn't get a positive result. Let us know if you ring.try to do something to take your mind off it

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

I chickened out on calling, I had a very bad night. I'm having a really difficult time with all this honestly. I don't think I mentioned but I'm only 22 years old. I've never had to deal with a medical problem this severe and I've never had so many calls to make or doctors to see. I realize fully that the chance of this being cancer is very very extremely low. But being acutely uncomfortable 24/7 and even being within proximity to the smallest possibility of breast cancer is making me miserable.

I swear I'm not jumping to any conclusions, I'm trying my best to be as level-headed and mature about this as possible but I thought that would make it easier and it just doesn't.

• Lorri70
    edited July 2017
    Options

I know how you feel I really do, I had to wait ages as they weren't sure I prayed and prayed it wouldn't be Pagets, less than 5% of all breast cancer is Pagets so that's reassuring there really is nothing to say for you to stop worrying only a biopsy will sot it apart from anything you are suffering with this so whatever it is it's needs diagnoising and treatment maybe a dermatologist would be your next port of call, you are very young

• kcat2013
    kcat2013 Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2017
    Options

lilpupper, I'm sorry you are in the anxious part of waiting for results. I don't have anything significant to add, I did not have Pagets, but if the ultrasound results don't show anything I would go see a dermatologist about the issues on your nipple. It sounds like a skin thing and a dermatologist would be your best bet for that, plus a dermatologist could do a punch biopsy if she or he feels it's warranted.

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

When I saw my gynecologist before the ultrasound she told me that she would give me a referral to a good (female) dermatologist if testing couldn't find anything, so I'm absolutely going to do that if thats the case. I just want relief, the burning sensation is killing me and I can't stand looking at it.

I probably won't have anything to add until I get the results from my doc. I appreciate yall taking the time to respond.

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'm so scared, and I feel so stupid that I am. I wish the doctors office would call, they made it very clear that they would call me but I got a letter from the hospital saying my radiology report was already sent to them, reminding me to follow-up, but I called and they still said they didn't have anything.

I'm so uncomfortable all the time this is driving me nuts!

• MTwoman
    edited July 2017
    Options

lilpupper, this is the time to get a bit pushy. I'd call the doctor's office, let them know you received a letter from the hospital reminding you to follow up. If they still indicate they don't have the records, ask them to call the hospital as there seems to be a delay.

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

I got ahold of them! My ultrasound came back clear! I mean that doesn't fix my nipple or rule out padgets but its good! I guess next is a referral to a dermatologist but I can't see my gynecologist to get the referral until they get my swab tests back. Whew.

• MTwoman
    edited July 2017
    Options

Well that is good news! Did they tell you when they expect the swab test results?

• lilpupper
    edited July 2017
    Options

All they said was 'very soon'. I'm hoping for by friday at least. I'm frustrated. I know that pagets can only be ruled out by biopsy and more importantly I know that I probably will have to deal with my symptoms for a while still. Going to try and keep my mind off it today.