Topic: Nipple Discharge

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried — For those who are experiencing symptoms or received concerning test results, but haven't been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Posted on: Jul 29, 2017 04:43AM

Posted on: Jul 29, 2017 04:43AM

djmammo wrote:

from the American College of Radiology

"Nipple discharge is a common complaint that leads patients to breast imaging evaluation. At least 80% of women will experience at least 1 episode of nipple discharge during their reproductive years. Nipple discharge is the third most common breast complaint after breast pain and breast mass, with a prevalence of 4.8% to 7.4%, and accounts for 5% of all breast symptoms. It is categorized as physiologic or pathologic.

Pathologic nipple discharge tends to be unilateral, from a single duct orifice, spontaneous, and serous or bloodstained. Nipple discharge that exhibits any one of these features may be considered pathologic.

Physiologic nipple discharge tends to be bilateral, from multiple duct orifices, and white, green, or yellow in color. In a study by Goskel et al, nonspontaneous nipple discharge, which was frequently colored or milky, was differentiated from spontaneous nipple discharge, which was considered pathologic. In this study, none of the patients with nonspontaneous nipple discharge developed cancer on follow-up examination. In another study by Bahl et al, no in situ or invasive cancers were found in patients whose nipple discharge did not exhibit any of the pathologic features. If patient history and physical examinations demonstrate physiologic nipple discharge and routine screening mammography is up to date, no radiologic investigation is needed.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Page 1 of 13 (130 results)

Sep 1, 2017 03:02AM - edited Sep 1, 2017 03:08AM by analisa

This Post was deleted by analisa.

Sep 1, 2017 03:07AM analisa wrote:

if nipple discharge just over 2 nights in bed, without waking me, but then only very little bloody discharge for next 3 days , then nothing - is that still serious?? I am 54 and it was just one nipple.

Sep 1, 2017 06:14AM djmammo wrote:

analisa

Bloody discharge is always abnormal and always needs to be evaluated. See your doctor.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2017 10:14AM analisa wrote:

Ok - hav seen dr and hav appointment at breast clinic on tues - just trying to keep calm

Sep 5, 2017 01:53PM analisa wrote:

hi - just to let you know - had mammogram and ultra sound and nothing abnormal detected which is good. In for op to remove all milk ducts next week - not so good. Think it is duct ecstasia but going to do histology on ducts to make sure - sister had inflammatory breast cancer and died within 6 months - she had a kidney transplant at 16 so was immuno suppressed - so little worrie

Sep 26, 2017 09:43PM Mins_Mum wrote:

@analisa - did you get results from your duct excision? Was it duct ecstasia

Sep 27, 2017 04:02PM - edited Sep 27, 2017 04:04PM by Lala-44

It's about 3 years that I have nipple discharge, since having kids. My third baby was born 16 months ago and both breasts if squeezed have a milky to clear discharge equally. Many Drs have seen it and if my nipples are squeezed it can spray across a room! It's As though my milk never dried up. It's not spontaneous and only when provoked. Never breastfed only pumped and this was 16 months ago now. Had countless breast ultrasounds all normal. This month dr did a breast MRI to appease me since I also have an itchy nipple and it was normal. Should i investigate the discharge further? Would an MRI also rule out pagets

Sep 27, 2017 04:11PM djmammo wrote:

Lala-44

Everything in your history points to a benign physiologic cause: bilateral, non-spontaneous, non-bloody and normal imaging.

Oct 1, 2017 12:41PM GypsyKat wrote:

Hello .

As for the breast pain that surfaced Friday leading me to think it was a hormonal issue escalated through the day in towards the night I started having bloody nipple discharge from my right breast . The pain is a noteable amountand escalating . Leading me to actually go to the ER where I had an US . The findings were a 4mm cyst at 11 oclock discoloration on my outside breast and center , no noted abcesses and the referral to a breast center within 1-2 days .

A Bi rads 0 .

Is there any thing that you can tell me more of this ?

Oct 1, 2017 09:19PM djmammo wrote:

GypsyKat

Bloody nipple discharge is often caused by an intraductal papilloma, a small nodule in a duct usually located in a duct not to distant from the nipple. I would hazard a guess and say the 4mm cyst is not the cause of the bloody nipple discharge. The cause needs to be determined as a malignancy can cause bloody discharge also. Let us know what happens at your appotintment at the breast center.

Page 1 of 13 (130 results)

Scroll to top button