Topic: Nipple Discharge

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried — For those who are experiencing symptoms or received concerning test results, but haven't been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Posted on: Jul 29, 2017 06:43AM

Posted on: Jul 29, 2017 06:43AM

djmammo wrote:

from the American College of Radiology

"Nipple discharge is a common complaint that leads patients to breast imaging evaluation. At least 80% of women will experience at least 1 episode of nipple discharge during their reproductive years. Nipple discharge is the third most common breast complaint after breast pain and breast mass, with a prevalence of 4.8% to 7.4%, and accounts for 5% of all breast symptoms. It is categorized as physiologic or pathologic.

Pathologic nipple discharge tends to be unilateral, from a single duct orifice, spontaneous, and serous or bloodstained. Nipple discharge that exhibits any one of these features may be considered pathologic.

Physiologic nipple discharge tends to be bilateral, from multiple duct orifices, and white, green, or yellow in color. In a study by Goskel et al, nonspontaneous nipple discharge, which was frequently colored or milky, was differentiated from spontaneous nipple discharge, which was considered pathologic. In this study, none of the patients with nonspontaneous nipple discharge developed cancer on follow-up examination. In another study by Bahl et al, no in situ or invasive cancers were found in patients whose nipple discharge did not exhibit any of the pathologic features. If patient history and physical examinations demonstrate physiologic nipple discharge and routine screening mammography is up to date, no radiologic investigation is needed.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Page 2 of 13 (130 results)

Oct 3, 2017 03:50PM Lizmax76 wrote:

41 year old,have not breastfeed in over 3 years. Have been having a sensation of "let down" off and on for a while now. Today I have the feeling in my left breast, and actually have a colustrum looking fluid come out spontaneously. I take and ace inhibitor and antidepressants, I wonder if it could be a side effect? I have a mammogram scheduled for Friday the 13th!! 😩

Oct 3, 2017 04:39PM - edited Oct 3, 2017 04:42PM by MTwoman

which antidepressant? there are reports of antidepressants causing hyperprolactinemia (which is elevated prolactin levels - which can cause nipple discharge). This should be reported to your prescribing physician.

edited to include this citation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20527996

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Oct 8, 2017 10:29PM Calandergirl wrote:

I just turned 35, never had a full term pregnancy but have the clear leakage from the right side and the yuck from the left. It was only one spot until around 4 days ago, now it's 3. Saw the doctor on Friday; my mammogram and u/s are tomorrow morning. I also have cystic tissue in the right side which led to biopsy and a few conversations a couple years ago.

Nay :)

Oct 9, 2017 06:44PM Calandergirl wrote:

Had the imaging and they found nothing!

Nay :)

Oct 10, 2017 09:39AM MTwoman wrote:

what was your BIRADS score/recommendations? and how are they explaining the discharge?

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Oct 13, 2017 01:47PM Lala-44 wrote:

my breast surgeon decided to put the discharge on slides and send them off to pathology. He said it looks for abnormal cells. What can they diagnose from breast discharge ? What kind of cancer can be detected this way? I’m confused :

Oct 13, 2017 02:50PM djmammo wrote:

Lala-44

If something is growing in the duct it can shed cells that wind up in the discharge.

See THIS article.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2017 11:31AM Lala-44 wrote:

thanks DJ. Always so very helpful.

Nov 3, 2017 03:34PM WorriedMe77 wrote:

I have blueish/green discharge from both nipples but only when squeezed. I recently was given a Bi rad score of 5 because of a mass found on ultrasound and diagnostic mam

Dx 11/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 11/14/2017, Left, <1cm, Grade 2 Surgery 12/4/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 2/7/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/9/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast

Nov 3, 2017 04:23PM MTwoman wrote:

WorriedMe, I just answered you on another thread here: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/62/topics/774050?page=7&post_creation=true#post_5081788

so very sorry

Page 2 of 13 (130 results)

Scroll to top button