Join Us

We are 217,480 members in 84 forums discussing 160,584 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Interpreting Mammograms: Assymetry

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.

Posted on: Aug 6, 2017 06:49AM

djmammo wrote:

from the American College of Radiology's Breast Imaging Boot Camp

(some of the terms used are those taught by the famous lecturer and researcher Lazlo Tabar, MD)

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Page 1 of 1 (16 results)

Posts 1 - 16 (16 total)

Aug 7, 2017 12:33PM MTwoman wrote:

fascinating!

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Jul 27, 2019 11:52AM LoriAnnT wrote:

are focal asymmetrys something to follow up?

Jul 27, 2019 02:00PM djmammo wrote:

LoriAnnT

Yes, especially if they are new.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2019 01:21PM Taps68 wrote:

Hi there. I was wondering how you made out with the focal asymmetry? I was recently told I have that.

Sep 9, 2019 01:22PM - edited Sep 9, 2019 01:25PM by Taps68

This Post was deleted by Taps68.

Sep 12, 2019 05:10PM OlgaE69 wrote:

Is "breast asymmetry" the same thing as "focal" asymmetry? Is that referring to comparing the two breasts?

Sep 13, 2019 09:48AM djmammo wrote:

OlgaE69

In general when you put the left and right mammogram images together back to back, they can look like an ink blot test (Rorschach) with one side a mirror image or the other side. Since everyone's mammogram looks different, there is no standard of normal to have in mind for interpreting them like for chest x-rays where they are all the same. We can only compare them to the other side initially, then to prior studies as time goes on.

An "asymmetry" is an area of breast tissue (areas of white in the image) that is seen on one side and not on the other and does not appear to be a discrete mass. It is very often normal tissue

There are two kinds of asymmetry, "focal and global", basically corresponding to "small and large".

Aug 13, 2020 04:16PM - edited Aug 13, 2020 05:24PM by ResiliencePersonified

What about focal asymmetry 11mm with amorphous calcifications that were not there in December 2018

FINDINGS: mammogram
With supplemental imaging, the possible focal asymmetry in the upper
outer quadrant of the RIGHT breast persists. It measures
approximately 11 mm. Additionally, amorphous calcifications are noted
in the upper outer quadrant of the RIGHT breast, not definitively
visualized on 2/12/2014.

FINDINGS: ul
With supplemental imaging, the possible focal asymmetry in the upper
outer quadrant of the RIGHT breast persists. It measures
approximately 11 mm. Additionally, amorphous calcifications are noted
in the upper outer quadrant of the RIGHT breast, not definitively
visualized on 2/12/2014.

Aug 13, 2020 10:02PM MinusTwo wrote:

Resilience - Sorry - didn't you have a different name a few days ago? What was that name?

Djmammo is not on the boards right now so will not be able to address your issues. My suggestion is to go back to the doc who ordered the studies and insist they explain these things to you.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Aug 13, 2020 11:25PM MelissaDallas wrote:

MinusTwo, yes, she changed her name from PrettyStinkinScared.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Aug 14, 2020 10:02AM - edited Aug 14, 2020 10:12AM by ResiliencePersonified

It was prettystinkinscared. There is an option right in settings for those who choose to. I was given that name by my therapist on Wednesday, and chose to change it to a more positive name. No other reason than that! Thanks for asking. And the only reason I asked was because I looked at his name and thought it said his most recent activity was yesterday. I am waiting on them to get back to me still. And it isn’t like I was trying to come in brand new under a different name. I’m still posting my updates under my original post so there’s nothing I’m doing that is questionable. I spoke with the very kind moderators about it first and they were very positive about it.

Sep 12, 2020 07:35PM Nadeybelle wrote:

I got a call back reporting focal asymmetry not readily classifiable as benign. This was a 3D mammo. I have read that there are less call backs from these machines. This makes me worry that it’s cancer, since it can see things much better. I mean, why else would they call me back?What is the % is would be?

Sep 12, 2020 08:57PM Beesie wrote:

Nadeybelle, yes, there are fewer unnecessary callbacks with 3D mammos, but there still are lots of them. In the past 95% of callbacks did not result in a diagnosis of cancer. I don't know what the percent is now, but I'd guess it's still at least 80%-85%.

Radiologists err on the side of caution. Anything that can't immediately be identified as being benign warrants a call back. Anything that has just a 2% risk of being cancer warrants a biopsy.

Asymmetry can be a sign of breast cancer. But most often, asymmetry turns out to be nothing at all. It could just be the way your breast was squished in the mammogram machine.

Take a look at this recent thread:

Topic: Asymmetry on CC view of 3D screening mammogram https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/83/topics...

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Sep 13, 2020 02:05PM Nadeybelle wrote:

Beesie, Thank you.

Sep 15, 2020 10:37AM Nadeybelle wrote:

Bessie, I did want to post the findings of my diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound yesterday. The doctor was so awesome. He said the word benign first, then said its 2 tiny nodes and he had to be sure they were just nodes. He had no previous scans to compare to, so it wasn’t easy. I go back in 6 months for ultrasound follow up but I don’t know why. Maybe it’s routine so he has something Moreto compare next year.

Sep 15, 2020 05:13PM Moderators wrote:

Nadeybelle -- that's great news! Keep us posted how things go with your 6 month follow up.

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (16 results)