Topic: Interpreting Mammograms: Assymetry

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried — For those who are experiencing symptoms or received concerning test results, but haven't been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Posted on: Aug 6, 2017 03:49AM

Posted on: Aug 6, 2017 03:49AM

djmammo wrote:

from the American College of Radiology's Breast Imaging Boot Camp

(some of the terms used are those taught by the famous lecturer and researcher Lazlo Tabar, MD)

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 (19 results)

Aug 7, 2017 09:33AM MTwoman wrote:

fascinating!

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/19/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Jul 27, 2019 08:52AM LoriAnnT wrote:

are focal asymmetrys something to follow up?

Jul 27, 2019 11:00AM djmammo wrote:

LoriAnnT

Yes, especially if they are new.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2019 10:21AM Taps68 wrote:

Hi there. I was wondering how you made out with the focal asymmetry? I was recently told I have that.

Sep 9, 2019 10:22AM - edited Sep 9, 2019 10:25AM by Taps68

This Post was deleted by Taps68.

Sep 12, 2019 02:10PM OlgaE69 wrote:

Is "breast asymmetry" the same thing as "focal" asymmetry? Is that referring to comparing the two breasts?

Sep 13, 2019 06:48AM djmammo wrote:

OlgaE69

In general when you put the left and right mammogram images together back to back, they can look like an ink blot test (Rorschach) with one side a mirror image or the other side. Since everyone's mammogram looks different, there is no standard of normal to have in mind for interpreting them like for chest x-rays where they are all the same. We can only compare them to the other side initially, then to prior studies as time goes on.

An "asymmetry" is an area of breast tissue (areas of white in the image) that is seen on one side and not on the other and does not appear to be a discrete mass. It is very often normal tissue

There are two kinds of asymmetry, "focal and global", basically corresponding to "small and large".

Aug 13, 2020 01:16PM - edited Aug 13, 2020 02:24PM by ResiliencePersonified

What about focal asymmetry 11mm with amorphous calcifications that were not there in December 2018

FINDINGS: mammogram
With supplemental imaging, the possible focal asymmetry in the upper
outer quadrant of the RIGHT breast persists. It measures
approximately 11 mm. Additionally, amorphous calcifications are noted
in the upper outer quadrant of the RIGHT breast, not definitively
visualized on 2/12/2014.

FINDINGS: ul
With supplemental imaging, the possible focal asymmetry in the upper
outer quadrant of the RIGHT breast persists. It measures
approximately 11 mm. Additionally, amorphous calcifications are noted
in the upper outer quadrant of the RIGHT breast, not definitively
visualized on 2/12/2014.

Aug 13, 2020 07:02PM minustwo wrote:

Resilience - Sorry - didn't you have a different name a few days ago? What was that name?

Djmammo is not on the boards right now so will not be able to address your issues. My suggestion is to go back to the doc who ordered the studies and insist they explain these things to you.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Aug 13, 2020 08:25PM melissadallas wrote:

MinusTwo, yes, she changed her name from PrettyStinkinScared.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor. Dx 5/20/2012, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes

Page 1 of 2 (19 results)

Scroll to top button