Join Us

We are 217,480 members in 84 forums discussing 160,584 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: BI-RADS Explained

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.

Posted on: Aug 25, 2017 11:01AM

djmammo wrote:

from Cancer.Org

This is a nice explanation of the Birads scoring system: Click Here for the article.

When I first started reading mammograms in the early 80's there was really no official standard vocabulary for describing what was seen on a mammogram. Different readers would use different terms and it became confusing when 2 people read the same study, had the same recommendation but completely different verbiage in the body of the report. Birads was developed to standardize the conclusions of the reports so that no matter what the report said above the impression, the Birads would clear it all up. Over the years the system was improved by providing radiologists a list of acceptable terms to use in reports (the Birads Lexicon) so that all reports would be comparable and understood by all concerned.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Apr 23, 2019 11:40PM Peacelady wrote:

I believe that my doctor said that I have a BI-RADS score of 3 based on my MRI in December. But keep seeing that BI-RADS are based on mammogram imaging. Is that true? My next recommended step is ultra sound

I also have family history of Breast cancer in my family which is why I've been having MRI imaging

Thank yo

Apr 23, 2019 11:59PM JosieO wrote:

djmammo,

Many thanks for sharing this resource. You consistently add so much to my understanding of breast cancer. So glad you are here. THANK YOU

Apr 24, 2019 06:23AM djmammo wrote:

Peacelady

All breast imaging studies use Birads.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2019 03:16PM Jerz_0035 wrote:

So I just got off of the phone with my doctor. I had a mammo and ultrasound a few weeks ago and was sent for an MRI. Mammo report says BIRADS 2. After the MRI being denied numerous times, we were finally able to get it pushed through. He just called and said that the skin thickening that was seen on all of the other scans was confirmed on the MRI and the radiologist saidcancer cannot be ruled out. There were no underlying masses seen. He’s having me scheduled for a biopsy. Any idea exactly what will be done? I have peau d’orange on the inner left breast and crusting of the nipple. The entire breast is extremely itchy!

Dec 8, 2019 11:20PM - edited Dec 8, 2019 11:21PM by DeeDeeT405

This may have been answered somewhere, but as I'm awaiting more testing and my appointment with the breast surgeon in 3 days I'm coming up with more questions. How do the radiologists determine the BIRADS score? Is there a point assigned for each finding and then the points are totaled to come up with the score of 0-6? I'm wondering, on a “suspicious" mammogram/ ultrasound study, what differentiates a score of 5 from 4? Thank you.

Age at diagnosis 39; Mammary Carcinoma- IDC with lobular features Dx 12/21/2019, DCIS/ILC/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/11/2020 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Dec 9, 2019 12:00AM Beesie wrote:

I'm sure djmammo will be by to explain this better, but until then, my understanding is that the BIRADs score is assigned by the Radiologist based in the appearance of the imaging. There is no points system however the BIRADs system provides clear and detailed guidelines as to what goes into each category. Of course since the assessment of the imaging is done by the Radiologist, there is a human element and some degree of subjectivity.

Here are two sites that explain what's in each BIRADS category:

https://breast-cancer.ca/bi-rads/

https://radiologyassistant.nl/breast/bi-rads-for-mammography-and-ultrasound-2013

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Dec 9, 2019 12:09AM DeeDeeT405 wrote:

Thank you Beesie those are very helpful.

Age at diagnosis 39; Mammary Carcinoma- IDC with lobular features Dx 12/21/2019, DCIS/ILC/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/11/2020 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Dec 9, 2019 12:37AM - edited Dec 9, 2019 12:38AM by thisiknow

The OP djmammo gave us the link at the top of this page at "Click here" for an explanation of Birads scoring.

Age 72 @dx - Oncotype 4 & 15 Dx 7/14/2019, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/10/2019 Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/28/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 9, 2019 08:30AM DeeDeeT405 wrote:

Thank you thisiknow. I had read that post but I only saw that the numbers correlated with the potential risk for malignancy. I was trying to determine what went into the assignment of the score. For example, my scans were given a BIRADS 5 and I was just wanting to know what distinguishes a 5 from a 4 on a scan. I understand they give the potential risk of malignancy at >95%. The articles that Beesie posted were very helpful. I don’t mean to waste anyone’s time, just trying to educate myself.

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)