Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

While youre waiting to have your symptoms evaluated...

Options
djmammo
djmammo Member Posts: 1,003
edited October 2020 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

A nice lay article on how to view your symptoms during those awful waiting periods between doctor's visits and imaging appointments:

Click Here

Comments

• rondeezee
    rondeezee Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2018
    Options

Thanks djmammo...this article is right on time

• Egads007
    Egads007 Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi djmammo,

I can’t get over how much you give of yourself to this community, bless your heart! I wish there was a way to give back....I’m a helluva cook but I think anything I sent would rot before reaching you lol! Every time I see your timely posts I always think “that man deserves one of my strudels”. Nerdy

• djmammo
    edited March 2018
    Options

I do have a fondness for pastries Winking

• grl06c
    grl06c Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2018
    Options

The article was so helpful and really brought everything back to reality for me! Thank you so much! It has relieved so much anxiety as I wait for my results.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,907
    edited March 2018
    Options

Really helpful, djmammo. Thank you for all you do for our Community! Heart

There Mods

• marie5890
    marie5890 Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2018
    Options

Mods, is there a way of pinning this so that it stays near the top of the page?

• moderators
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi marie! We've added this thread to the helpful list from djmammo compiled here: Topic: For ALL Not Diagnosed Newbies: Imaging & Common Symptoms FAQs

Thank you!

The Mods

• katieann
    katieann Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    Options

This is the hardest thing I have had to go through. Found a lump behind my nipple. 2 mammagrams, ultrasound, now biopsy last Tuesday and I wait. I am sick with worry

• moderators
    edited April 2018
    Options

KatieAnn, waiting is the worst! Distraction is our friend in these times! We are here for you!

• green71364
    green71364 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hello! Just had my 3D mammogram yesterday and have got a callback for an ultrasound. My last yearly mammogram, Aug. of last year was normal. I have had enlarged axillary nodes for over a year now, and 4 ultrasounds of those nodes, all which were normal. I still do have raised nodes. In November I had an MRI of the nodes, which showed nodes normal, but, an abnormality in the breast, which was needle core biopsied, and was a benign breast lesion. Now radiologist sees a spot in the area where I had the biopsy. Thats the reason for the Ultrasound. Could this just be scar tissue or something from the biopsy? Very concerned and worried!

• AliBeeBU
    AliBeeBU Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    Options

good article

• Louislover
    Louislover Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2018
    Options

I’m having a hard time. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I had 2 clear mammograms after my first mammogram at 40 showed a spot on my left breast. I had a biopsy that removed it and it came back benign. My last clear mammogram was in February and a week ago I noticed my right armpit was swollen. I showed my hubs who downplayed it but thought he felt something. I went to the doctor and he felt something. So I’m scheduled for an ultrasound. I’m very scared

• djmammo
    edited October 2018
    Options

Louislover

Your RA could be the cause of the enlarged nodes. Let us know what the US shows.

• Summer5
    Summer5 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    Options

I found this board tonight and was very happy to read the article. I am afraid that I have breast cancer. I have recurrent thyroid cancer with the most recent reccurance this past summer. Last week my OBGYN found a small lump in my right breast, the upper outer quadrant. I had a US and mammogram. Here is the result:

There is an irregular focal asymmetric density with an indistinct margin in the right breast at 11 o'clock middle depth. This correlates as palpated and with ultrasound findings which demonstrate an irregularly marginated mass at 10 oclock measuring 11x9x8mm. There is some vascularity to this lesion.

The report also indicated it is BIRAD 4C.

I will not see the surgeon until Friday then need to schedule the biopsy then wait for the results. This is awful. How does everyone deal with this? Any help on that would be appreciated. My husband is positive that I have a secondary cancer.

• djmammo
    edited October 2018
    Options

Summer5

It is more common for breast cancer to go to the thyroid than the other way around.

Here is an article about breast and thyroid cancer

Let us know what the biopsy shows

• amichelle18
    amichelle18 Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi all,

I thought I was good with the waiting because everyone keeps telling me I'm “probably fine". However, it's going on 3 months now with no answer.

Mammogram and US - was given Bi-rads 3 and told to rescan in 3 months. The radiologist asked me if I wanted a biopsy or if i wanted to wait. I said “if you're telling me it's ok to wait - I'll wait!" Went back to original dr who said waiting is not an option because lump was palpable by him? So he sent me to a surgeon and the surgeon said my radiology report was “the most confusing one he'd ever read". I get that because it partly says nothing to worry about but then states lump in right breast is “very concerning". (Lumps in both breast). Surgeon also says it's probably fine - but now sending me for MRI. In two weeks! So will likely take a month to get back into the surgeon and get results. I'm not super worried about the results as everyone keeps saying it's probably fine. I am getting frustrated with this hanging over my head this long. I haven’t told anyone because i don't want them to worry unnecessarily.

Thanks for letting me vent.

• Louislover
    edited October 2018
    Options

thank you. I’m hoping I’m not going crazy but I’m prettysure I just found a lump about 2 inches from the lump in my armpit. It almost feels like a lemon seed. I think I’m going to do my best to just occupy myself. I’m super thankful to have found this forum and super thankful you were gracious enough to answer me so quickly. I thought I was just coming back to life from a tough couple of years with RA. Praying this will be all be over on Friday and I’ll have a clean bill of health.

• Louislover
    edited October 2018
    Options

I think it’s cruel and unusual punishment to let woman wait for so long to find out what’s going on. I found a lump went to the dr and called right away had to wait 5 days for the ultrasound. I thought that was awful. I can’t imagine how you’re feeling. Remember you have to advocate for yourself. Or have someone who will do it for you. I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 13 years. If I’m really bad and have been unable to walk for a few days my husband will hop on the phone and bug until they get me in. Unfortunately when we are sick we don’t want to bother anyone and sometimes going to the doctor is the last thing you want to do. But I’m always so grateful after he gets me in. I hope you have someone who can be that for you. By now, I think you should bug those people until they do something. The stress alone is taking its toll on you. It’s not right

• amichelle18
    amichelle18 Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thank you

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    edited October 2018
    Options

So here I am learning about a whole different, but related risk calculator . . . TI-RADS score. I have a thyroid nodule that rates a 4 and another that rates a 5. I had a birads score of 5 following a mammogram that identified DCIS, so it all feels all too similar almost exactly five years later. I have studied every word and number on my ultrasound report. I have read much about these two cancers co-existing. But the obvious explanations (ie radiation) aren't necessarily supported in research. Biopsy in approximately two weeks and back waiting. . . .

• Kassy54
    Kassy54 Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi, have you heard back about your thyroid? I am having two nodules checked out tomorrow, one of several things on my list of recurrence worries. My GP is very nonchalant about this because overall in a random population there is only a 5% chance of malignancy, but as we know, we are not a random population...

Please let me know how you are!

Best thoughts your way

• Mommanord
    Mommanord Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2018
    Options

I feel I am in the same boat as you. I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was very young. I am 63. My mother and her mother had breast cancer. I’ve been getting mammograms since I was 35. I’ve also had a breast reduction in my 30’s. I’ve also had a needle biopsy on the right breast. No cancer. My last mammogram was in April and was clear. For the past month I’ve have had an achy ness under my right arm with swelling or what I would call a thickness with the achy ness going into the breast toward the nipple area. Felt no lumps. Finally went to the doctor and she felt two small lumps. So now going for diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. It’s a little scary

• moderators
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi Mommanord! We know it's a scary time, but just know that you're not alone! Please keep us posted on how your next mammo and ultrasound go!

The Mods

• Mommanord
    Mommanord Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2018
    Options

Well, went for diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound and Doc says looks good come back in 6 months. I had so much pain during the mammogram the tech said I turned pale and asked if I needed to sit down. About 20 years ago I had a breast reduction on both breasts, in 2004 had nipple discharge on right breast. Had a mammogram which showed microcalcifications, then had needle biopsy which removed the microcalcifications which were negative. This is the same breast which is giving me problems. Now not sure what to do. A friend who happens to be a RN I also was a nursing assistant, says to go for an MRI. Is this over kill for having a negative Mamo and ultrasound? Still having the pain, with nothing on the left hand side. Also forgot to mention I have a port on the right side for my RA infusions. Needed to give my veins a rest. Port had no pain and is higher up, not where the pain is. Have felt very uncomfortable about this but don’t want to be obsessive either. Thanks

• Kassy54
    Kassy54 Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2018
    Options

It is possible for lobular to not show up on a mammogram--mine didn't at all--and the only reason they could see it on the ultrasound was because I could point to exactly where I felt it... At least tell your doctor you want to pursue why you are having the swelling. There are various possibilities for edema, and it seems like a perfectly reasonable to try to figure out why you are experiencing it. Good luck!

• djmammo
    edited November 2018
    Options

Mommanord

Pain without a finding on imaging has always been a mystery to us. There seem to be many non-medical / herbal / natural remedies online for breast pain but there is no medication or treatment with that specific indication that I am aware of.

I have seen people with ports wind up with clotted veins in the breast that can be symptomatic but unsure if the port has to be malfunctioning to cause that. You might bring that up to your docs, a thrombosed vein in the breast can be seen on ultrasound with Doppler.

• Shook1616
    Shook1616 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi all, I have noticed a lump in my left breast for the past couple of months. It is tender to the touch, and it moves around under the skin. I had my doctor take a look at it last week and she was not concerned about it, but let me know that if I wanted to have an ultrasound done, I could. My mom is a breast cancer survivor so I opted to have it checked out further, just to be safe. I had my ultrasound and the radiologist determined that my lump is solid and he recommended a biopsy. My biopsy is scheduled in a couple of days and to say I am terrified would be an understatement. The radiologist didn't say much other than he was concerned because it was solid and although it is relatively smooth, there are some bumps around it. He said that because of my age (I'm 23) that's its most likely a Fibroadenoma. On my report, it's says it was rated at bi rads 4 on the scale for suspicious. Because the doctor wasn't exactly encouraging, I guess I'm just looking for some positivity. The report also said the lump had some flow, what does this mean?

• djmammo
    edited December 2018
    Options

Shook1616

"Because the doctor wasn't exactly encouraging, I guess I'm just looking for some positivity."

Too soon to be terrified. All the things you mentioned above can be associated with a benign fibroadenoma. As far as B4 is concerned, one cannot recommend a biopsy without a Birads of 4 or 5 in the report. Finding a breast cancer would be very unusual at your age.

Other than both docs saying that they weren't really that concerned, what should they have said that would have been more encouraging?

(PS: You mentioned above in one sentence that it was solid, and in another said it wasn't. I assume they think its solid as they mentioned FA as a possible diagnosis.)

• Shook1616
    Shook1616 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2018
    Options

I apologize, I should have proofread. The radiologist said he *was concerned because it wasn't completely smooth and it is solid. The radiologist I spoke with was all business. He said it's most likely not cancerous because of my age, but couldn't be certain without a biopsy. I guess I just wish I had more going for me than just being young. I watched my mother go through cancer at a very young age and I know that just because I am young, it does not mean I couldn't get a cancer diagnosis.

• djmammo
    edited December 2018
    Options

Shook1616

You are doing the right thing having it biopsied especially if your mother was diagnosed before the age of 40.