We are 215,434 members in 81 forums discussing 153,233 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Called into office for Biopsy Result tomorrow

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.

Posted on: May 16, 2018 10:21AM - edited May 16, 2018 10:24AM by NervousNelly91

NervousNelly91 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking about here for the last month or so and I'm officially in need of someone to talk to. I'm 27 years old and had an ultrasound for a breast lump in October they suggested a 6 month follow up which I had done at the end of March. The radiologist came in and talked to me saying it hasn't changed but has a somewhat angular margin and she believed it was a fibroadenoma but would like a Biopsy done. I have anxiety and my mom had lymphoma at 32 so I've always feared it. I left that appointment bawling and beyond anxious — I waited 3 weeks for my biopsy appointment which was excruciating. I haven't slept much the last month - I'm constantly crying I feel bad for my family having to deal with it

I had my biopsy done 8 days ago (I'm in Ontario,Canada) and received a call from the doctors office they could see me tomorrow morning for results. I couldn't read her over the phone but even between my crying she wouldn't release that I shouldn’t worry or it was non urgent. I'm literally sick to my stomach. When I had the biopsy done that radiologist assured me as I was nervous there was a .5% it was something given my age and how it looked. My mom is in tears and anxious — I'm anxious the thought of sitting waiting for her to come in and tell me tomorrow is very difficult.

Thanks everyone for the listening ear and your experience.

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Log in to post a reply

May 16, 2018 10:34AM octogirl wrote:

Dear Nelly,

All I can say is that I am sorry you are in the position, and that waiting, even a day, sucks. Just breathe! In my case, I got the bad news over the phone, which was in some ways even worse than going in....the person who set up the appointment may not have been authorized to say anything...

One tip: bring someone with you if at all possible! If it is good news, you can celebrate together. Otherwise, it is very helpful to have someone there to take notes as you discuss next steps. Might be a good idea to bring a less anxious family member, however...

Please keep us posted. We get it and we care.


Dx 6/18/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/16/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/9/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/15/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/8/2016 Femara (letrozole)
Log in to post a reply

May 17, 2018 01:56PM - edited May 17, 2018 01:57PM by NervousNelly91

Thanks so much for responding! I figured I would write my response in case other worriers come across this post.

They had me wait 45 minutes in the room until the doctor came in which I must say was awful.

The final result was Differential Diagnosis of Fibroadenoma, Sclerosing Adenosis and Benign Hemartoma. Which I am told are all not generally associated with BC.

aka its benign but no concrete diagnosis.

Findings Correlated with radiographic findings which they had told me was likely Fibroadenoma.

Surgical Consult Suggested.

My doctor didn't really know why they suggested a surgical consult - which I mean makes me a little worried but I am GRATEFUL.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone. You are all so strong and supportive.

Log in to post a reply

May 17, 2018 03:19PM mustlovepoodles wrote:

Wow, all that to tell you it was benign. Seems like they could have let you off that hook when they first called. Sheesh.

Oncotype 23. Positive for PALB2 & Chek2 gene mutations. My breasts are trying to kill me! Dx 7/20/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/19/2015 Lumpectomy Surgery 9/2/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 10/19/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/3/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 10/18/2016 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery
Log in to post a reply

May 17, 2018 03:25PM Runrcrb wrote:

NervousNelly - happy for you that the results seem to indicate benign. I of course have no idea what all those other words mean. :)

If you can, I would follow up with the doctor you saw to make sure you understand everything the report says and why he or she is suggesting a surgical consult. If for no reason other than peace of mind and a clear understanding for 20 years down the road when you can barely remember this time.

Dx 6/27/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/27/2016, ILC/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2016 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 10/31/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/9/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/23/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 12/13/2017 Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap
Log in to post a reply

May 17, 2018 07:44PM djmammo wrote:


I am assuming the biopsy you had got very little tissue if there is a differential of three different things. Was it an FNA or a core biopsy? Was it ultrasound guided or by palpation?

In order to tell the difference between the 3 possibilities they mentioned the pathologist needs more tissue. Many times they recommend seeing a surgeon and just have it removed so they can section larger pieces of it and make a definitive diagnosis. Perhaps a repeat US guided biopsy with a larger core biopsy device would yield an answer. Let us know what the surgeon recommends.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging helping members understand their health care provider's reports and recommendations.
Log in to post a reply

May 18, 2018 10:57AM - edited May 18, 2018 11:03AM by NervousNelly91

Hi Djmammo -

I actually did have a US guided core biopsy done - I believe they took 4 samples of a fairly small lump. Additionally the report says the pathological findings correlate with the radiological findings and no atypical or malignant cells were found.

I think you're probably right they'd like to really know what it is - they referred me to a local general surgeon I called back asking for a breast surgeon as I'd like to speak with someone very familiar with these and they said they may not be able to - a general surgeon should do this.

It is odd as the breast assessment Center I had my biopsy done at said they have surgeons there thah could remove this if I so chose to

Frustrating experience!

Log in to post a reply

May 19, 2018 04:27AM djmammo wrote:


For something small and for all intents and purposes benign, a general surgeon should be able to handle it but in my experience you will get a better cosmetic outcome with an experienced full time breast surgeon who has limited his/her practice to breast surgery only. Having a noticeable scar on a patient's breast for something that was benign has always been a pet peeve of mine.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging helping members understand their health care provider's reports and recommendations.
Log in to post a reply

May 19, 2018 06:44AM - edited Oct 11, 2018 03:59PM by VVV

This Post was deleted by VVV.
Dx 10/23/2017, IDC, Left, 5cm, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/4/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 12/4/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/4/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/7/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel
Log in to post a reply

Nov 28, 2018 07:16AM NervousNelly91 wrote:

During my appt with the Surgeon following these results it was suggested I return in 6 Months for an ultrasound and another consult. She said at the time it feels like a fibroadenoma and she doesn’t like to remove things just for the sake of removing them (I did end seeing a surgeon who specializes in breast lump removal). The time has come for my 6 month follow up and I am back to absolutely reeling with anxiety - I truly don’t know how to be logical regarding this!

Log in to post a reply

Nov 28, 2018 08:00AM djmammo wrote:


They apparently feel its benign if they recommended a 6 month followup especially after a biopsy showing no malignancy. I wouldn't start worrying yet.

If its unchanged I am going to guess they will look at it again in another 6 months which is the routine thing to do. If it got bigger, they might recommend it be removed which would also be routine. If it got decidedly smaller they might stop following it. Let us know how it goes.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging helping members understand their health care provider's reports and recommendations.
Log in to post a reply

Nov 28, 2018 10:41AM Salamandra wrote:


Especially since some of your concerns come from your mother's experience with cancer, I wonder whether you've had or could get genetic testing?

Knowing that there isn'ta known genericu risk might help ease your mind. Or if there is, you might get access to screening and services to help care for you better.

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 12/2/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)