Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Architectural distoration

Coal1017
Coal1017 Member Posts: 8
edited February 2019 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi can find no definitive answers on this Getting a stereotactic biopsy in a week. Am scared to death

Comments

• djmammo
    djmammo Member Posts: 1,003

Coal1017

Here is a video explaining that finding. Can you post your reports?

• Coal1017

There is an area of architectural distortion best seen on the right CC view on slice 20 to 29/68. This persists on the additional spot tomosynthesis views that were obtained and is located at the upper-outer quadrant likely at the 11-12 axis middle to posterior depth. There is no associated central mass. A subsequent right breast ultrasound reveals no focal sonographic correlate. However, given the area of architectural distortion a stereotactic guided biopsy under 3-D tomosynthesis is suggested.

Results and recommendations were discussed with the patient and the patient was given a written copy of the recommendation and advised to follow up with her referring physician. A written copy of the recommendations was also faxed to the referring physician's office and this report was prioritized for faster delivery.

BREAST ULTRASOUND: Sonographic evaluation of the right breast was performed targeted both to the upper outer quadrant and the subareolar region of the right breast where the patient's physician felt a lump. In the subareolar region of the right breast there is a 2.3 x 1.9 x 1.5 cm simple cyst which is mammographically stable since prior studies. No mammographic correlate to the area of architectural distortion is identified in the upper-outer quadrant of the right breast.

IMPRESSION: Above-described findings are felt to be suspicious.

RECOMMENDATION: Stereotactic biopsy.

Stereotactic guided biopsy on the right under 3-D guidance.

ASSESSMENT: BI-RADS Category 4: Suspicious findings.

• djmammo
    djmammo Member Posts: 1,003

Coal1017

All architectural distortion that persists on follow up is biopsied. It could be cancer or a benign radial scar. Without a central mass I might lean towards the radial scar but cancer must be excluded.

Let us know what the biopsy shows.

• Coal1017

Thank you so much. i keep telling myself that's its better to know . Sometimes that works for a few minutes.

• Sunflower4
    Sunflower4 Member Posts: 2

Hi Coal1017

I have also been researching architectural distortion. This is the first time in 4 mammograms that I see this term. The last mam in 2017 mentioned a 1.5cm asymmetry in the same spot--I think. But no further imaging was recommended. Now I've been called back due to architectural distortion. I scheduled next Friday--wish I could go sooner and get the anxiety over with, but my work schedule doesn't allow for sooner.

Let us know how it went.

• Coal1017

Hi Sunflower-i had to wait 2-1/2 weeks for an appointment! I had to get the biopsy thru 3d mammogram. I have dense breasts with a lot of cysts and often have gotten called back. Always scared to death. This was the first time for a biopsy. The radiologist said whatever it is it is very small which is a good thing. I'm wondering if architectural distortion is a new thing since the introduction of the 3d mammogram which sees things better. Good luck!!

• Sunflower4
    Sunflower4 Member Posts: 2

So that means you are still waiting for results? Not fun:(

I also have dense breasts which makes me a bit worried because I read it's hard to see much on a mammo...so if they see something it must be new.

Either way all we can do is wait and pray for the best. Best wishes!

• Coal1017

Hi I got the results today and it is benign. Fibrocystic changes . I feel bad posting this based on what you women have gone thru, are going thru and are waiting. I cannot express how much better reading about and talking to others helped me especially those who responded. Thank you so much.

• lulutn
    lulutn Member Posts: 1

Hello all... This is my first time posting and I had some concerns. I went to routine mammogram on Feb 12th and received my first ever call back letter in the mail. I'm 46 and I've been doing mammos since I was 40. I picked up a copy of my radiology report and it stated that I have a questionable area of architectural distortion left breast 12:00 and 13-15 centimeters from the nipple. BI-RADS 0 for additional spot views of left breast and ultrasound if needed. Comparison was to Nov 2017 mammo and multiple prior studies. I have had soreness and tenderness in the areola and nipple area but both breast but more so on the left one. I finally got them to work me in today for additional tests. The mammo tech showed me the area of concern and pulled up last years and showed me the spot there as well and stated that it was more prominent now. She did scans and I didn't get to see today's but left out to check with radiologist and immediately came back and said all was fine. I said no ultrasound?? She said no that she was able to flatten it out and everything was fine and to follow up in a year. Well the news seems great but still lingering in my mind. How was a small spot last year that never was noted and then stated it was more prominent now... These spots are in the same area over a year apart from two different techs that did mammos. Is that normal?? For the breast to be twisted or whatever in the same spot as 15 months ago?? Why wouldn't she still do an ultrasound?? Am I over thinking this? Thanks in advance for your input.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815

Dear lulutn,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry that these changes in your breast have brought you here but glad that you reached out. Her is a link to resources for those with Imaging questions. It might provide additional information for you.

The Mods

• Coal1017

Hi lulutn- When I had mammogram with the architectural distoration-they did the screening told me to wait then the tech came back and said the radiologist wanted different views. I was like omg there is something. She said that sometimes they don't have you situated right on the machine, etc. That could be why the radiologist cleared you. Anyway another few views and it was still there. They did ultrasound and couldn't see it. I was lucky mine was just fibrous tissue.