We are 217,837 members in 81 forums discussing 154,335 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Lumpectomy to get a diagnosis?

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.

Posted on: Mar 14, 2019 07:20PM

Mamaofthree wrote:

Has anyone ever been told they needed a lumpectomy to get a diagnosis? My Bi-rads was 4 and now they have it at 0 incomplete. I have a surgery consultation on Tuesday and I’m not sure what to think of this.

It seems weird that they would need to do the lumpectomy to know what’s happening but then again I’m not a dr so maybe it’s more common than I think. Any stories or advice is much appreciated!

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Mar 14, 2019 08:28PM Beesie wrote:

Yes, it happens a lot. It's actually called an excisional biopsy or surgical biopsy, although it's pretty much the same procedure as a lumpectomy so some doctors call it that or code it as a lumpectomy for insurance purposes.

Usually when an excisional biopsy is necessary, it's after a needle biopsy, if the needle biopsy found a high risk condition such as ADH or ALH. Because those conditions are sometimes are found mixed together with cancer, the entire area of suspicion is surgically removed just to ensure that there is no cancer lurking with the high risk condition.

Or an excisional biopsy can be required in situations where the area of suspicion is in a location that is hard to reach with a needle, either because it is close to the chest wall or close to the skin.

Good luck with the consult and with the biopsy. Hopefully the results are benign

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Mar 14, 2019 11:44PM Mamaofthree wrote:

Beesi

Thanks for responding! I feel better knowing it’s common and I’m not a weird case. I’ll just go with the flow and hopefully it all works out!

Mar 15, 2019 09:16AM - edited Mar 15, 2019 09:17AM by KBeee

My most recent case was diagnosed that way. Do make sure that they send it to pathology right then and there for immediate answers. My surgeon was supposed to last time, but they were so "sure" it was benign, they decided not to, and then when it came back as cancer, I had to have a reexcision so they got clear margins. Hoping all comes back benign.

Karen. Dx 8/5/2013, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/25/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 9/19/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/11/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 1/22/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 1/28/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 2/2/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 2/24/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 2/25/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 3/30/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/24/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Mar 15, 2019 10:44AM Mamaofthree wrote:

KBeee,

Thanks so much for the advice, I’ll make sure they do. I’m glad they sent yours in finally. I’m hoping so too! It’s hard waiting for answers. I’m glad they got me in so fast with the surgeon. Hopefully the rest of their stuff isjust as fast.

Mar 19, 2019 08:29PM Sabrushi wrote:

Hi mamaofthree,

I'm having a lumpectomy as well, just to get a diagnosis, on Mar 25th. So far, all the docs believe my complex cyst (BI-RADS 4) to be an intraductal papilloma (sp?), but I have some doubts since there's no palpable lump nor nipple discharge at all, so I'm kinda relieved that whatever I have would be completely removed! Do you have a surgery date yet? I'm sure everything will be fine for both of us.. :)

Mar 19, 2019 09:39PM - edited Mar 19, 2019 09:39PM by 239Happy

Hello Did you have a biopsy? Or was that not offered before lumpectomy. I'm new on here, so all of this is new to me.

Praying!

Dx 3/11/2019, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, ER-/PR-

Mar 20, 2019 01:34AM - edited Mar 20, 2019 01:34AM by Mamaofthree

I had a biopsy but it came back incomplete. I have surgery scheduled for the first of April and will hopefully know what it is by the 5th.

I'm pretty relieved whatever it is will be removed. My surgeon seems knowledgeable and super personable so that also helps. Hopefully I can just keep busy until then so it doesn't drag on forever. From what he said the recovery isn't bad at all so I'm hoping he is right! I just can't lift my youngest for a couple days.

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)