Join Us

We are 218,114 members in 84 forums discussing 160,906 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Worried

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.

Posted on: Oct 16, 2020 07:43PM

Ducky_1 wrote:

About 3 weeks ago I found a lump in my breast. It’s a little smaller than a grape, round, and it moves around when I touch it. I went to my GP who sent me to have an ultrasound and diagnostic mammogram done. Both the ultrasound and the mammogram came back good with a bi rad of 2. My GP wants me to see a surgeon for a consultation anyway since my lump is palpable. I am scared to do this because the surgeon’s office is at the hospital and our area is currently experiencing a covid spike and I’m high risk. At the same time though if I do have BC I don’t want to put that off. I am conflicted on what to do

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Oct 16, 2020 08:09PM MelissaDallas wrote:

Do you have a copy of the radiology report? What does it say? A Bi-Rads 2 isn’t even “iffy.”

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Oct 16, 2020 08:21PM - edited Oct 16, 2020 08:23PM by Ducky_1

Hi MelissaDallas, I have access to my report through the patient portal. It says the following:

INDICATIONS: Diagnostic mammogram. Right breast lump.

FINDINGS:

ACR BI-RADS CATEGORY 2- BENIGN FINDING:

RIGHT BREAST: No significant suspicious finding. In particular there is no abnormality identified in the lateral aspect of the right breast where a surface marker was placed over the palpable area of interest. The breast parenchyma pattern is unchanged and no malignant calcifications are evident. Sonography was subsequently performed for evaluation of the palpable finding.

LEFT BREAST: No significant suspicious finding. A biopsy clip is incidentally noted in the upper outer quadrant. The parenchymal pattern is not changed.

RIGHT BREAST ULTRASOUND: No mass, cyst, architectural distortion or acoustic shadowing is identified in the area of palpable interest indicated by the patient.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

ROUTINE MAMMOGRAM AND CLINICAL EVALUATION IN 12 MONTHS. (It was recommended to the patient that she follow-up with her physician regarding the palpable finding given the lack of an imaging abnormality).

The patient has been or will be contacted.

Breast composition: Scattered areas of fibroglandular density.

Oct 16, 2020 08:48PM MelissaDallas wrote:

Yeah, seeing absolutely nothing when you feel a lump is discordant, although sometimes women are feeling rib edges or normal denser breast tissue. Did your GP feel it too? I think you will need the consult. I would be inclined to request that the breast surgeon send me for an MRI to hopefully clear things up. Can’t biopsy at this point when there isn’t anything to target by either mammogram or ultrasound. Your other choice would be to requestrepeat imaging in six months.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Oct 16, 2020 08:57PM Ducky_1 wrote:

Yes, my doctor could feel it. She said it didn’t feel like cancer, but of course you can’t always tell by that alone. I’ll keep my appointment with the surgeon then

Oct 16, 2020 09:09PM wrenn wrote:

I don't think Covid will be less of a worry in 6 months and might be worse so although I would be tempted to wait the year I think keeping the appointment makes sense. Good luck and be careful with covid protocols.

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Oct 16, 2020 09:55PM - edited Oct 16, 2020 09:56PM by Jons_girl

I agree with Melissa. If I were in your shoes I would go see the surgeon. Because not all diagnostics see cancer, mammo missed mine. But ultrasound saw it. There are some on this forum where ultrasound missed their cancer and mammo saw it. I'm not sure if I've seen anyones story here where their cancer was missed by mammo and ultrasound but I guess that could be possible?

Mine was the size of a bb sorta.

I would want a MRI to just make sure all is ok. But I'm a little overly cautious. That's just me.

I hope all goes well! Keep us posted if you don’t mind. And remember we are here for you. Anytime you want to chat! Sending a hug yr way

Breast cancer at age 49. Felt tumor. Wasn’t caught on mammo even after feeling tumor. Ultrasound caught my cancer. Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Oct 17, 2020 09:37AM - edited Oct 17, 2020 09:54AM by KMom57

jonsgirl, mine was missed by both mammo And mri, but that was a failing of the radiologist, not the imaging. The tumor was clearly there on mri two years before I found it. The response I got when I leaned over two years later and pointed at the completely obvious spot on the MRI that was on screen for comparison was “In retrospect should we have biopsied that? Probably but look at all this other stuff going on in the other breast.“ If I could do it over, I'd not have taken the next years MRI so cavalierly (missed it because I was too busy, forgot, and was tired of screening, and they weren't watching anything, and by then breast MRI for me was just routine). Finally, when the radiologist told me 3d would find too much and “if we start biopsying you now we will never quit," I would have immediately gone elsewhere or insisted he biopsy away. I was blinded by his superior credentials and Guru like status in the BC Community. Hindsight. I say that to say, don’t take no for an answer if you are concerned.

Ducky, I agree. I'd insist on MRI to clear it up.

Dx 10/2019, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 8/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/6/2019 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/15/2020 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery 5/18/2020 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 7/31/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Oct 17, 2020 04:20PM leaf wrote:

Obviously I'm not a doc, let alone a breast cancer doc, but if you're concerned,could they do a needle biopsy in the office based on palpation? If its almost the size of a grape, I would guess it wouldn't be that hard to target? (Obviously I've never done this personally.)

Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 17, 2020 04:33PM MinusTwo wrote:

I put off lot of doc appointments for the first 7 months of the year, but I agree - there won't be much difference next year. I think you should see the BS.

Just to let you know that I've found my doctors AND the hospitals to be absolutely the safest places I could go. Everyone wears masks, every office sanitizes, every place takes temperatures and gives you a color coded wrist band for the day, all locations have chairs at a distance. I felt much safer than the grocery store where people sometimes don't wear mask at all and when they do - the masks might be below their noses or around their necks. Not to mention that most grocery stores here are no longer sanitizing baskets.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 17, 2020 08:28PM - edited Oct 17, 2020 08:49PM by Jons_girl

kmom57:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Wow your cancer was missed on mammo and mri by radiologist that's just not ok! I would have been so frustrated with that radiologist

I agree with kmom57 don't take no for answer ducky if your concerned

That's good advicefor all of us!

Breast cancer at age 49. Felt tumor. Wasn’t caught on mammo even after feeling tumor. Ultrasound caught my cancer. Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Oct 17, 2020 09:03PM Mariadelpilar wrote:

kmom57,

My radiologist missed my cancer on the biopsy!!! It was a bi rads 4. Biopsy said not cancer, but 6 months later, it was cancer and the biopsy clip was 2 centimeter away. 😢it was also gone at a breadt center!

Dx 11/7/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 12/26/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Oct 18, 2020 02:31AM KBL wrote:

I have de novo Stage IV with no primary ever found in my breast on any imaging, even to this day. I say meet with the surgeon. If you ever found out later you have it, you will beat yourself up for not making sure. I have invasive lobular, which doesn’t usually create a lump, so I’m not saying that would happen to you.

Dx 5/1/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Targeted Therapy 6/23/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2019 Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)