Join Us

We are 218,658 members in 84 forums discussing 161,163 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Sharp Pain, Swollen Nodes and Discolouration - 25 yr old Female

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried —

Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.

Posted on: Nov 16, 2020 01:26PM

Numberblock wrote:

Hello everyone,

Since around May, I’ve had a sore spot in my right breast. I wrote it off as being nothing serious until about a month ago when I realized the pain never went away and started to get stronger and I started to have swollen nodes under my arm pit and in my elbow.
I went to my doctor and she referred me to get a mammogram and ultrasound however, this appointment won’t be until mid January.

Since my appointment I’ve developed a light purple slight discolouration above my nipple and my swollen nodes have persisted. The pain has turned into a sharp jolting pain when touched. I’ve also had some stiffening in my breast tissue near my armpit.

I’m not really sure how to think or feel about this as I’m only 25. I’m really worried though. In my gut I feel like somethings wrong. I just feel helpless and am looking for help.

Page 1 of 1 (18 results)

Posts 1 - 18 (18 total)

Nov 16, 2020 01:31PM MinusTwo wrote:

Numberblock. I'm assuming you just saw your PCP? Call and make an appointment with your OB/Gyn. Maybe he or she will have other thoughts or can accelerate the testing. If that's the doc you already saw, call back & tell them your new symptoms and see if they can make it happen quicker.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Nov 16, 2020 05:33PM LivinLife wrote:

Ditto on what MinusTwo said. With additional symptoms there should be no need for you to wait until January.... Please be persistent...

Dx 7/2020, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 8/31/2020 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Nov 16, 2020 07:15PM MelissaDallas wrote:

By her spelling and use of language she may be in England or elsewhere not in the U.S where waits are longer

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Nov 16, 2020 07:33PM Numberblock wrote:

I’m from Canada, everything takes forever here. I have an appointment on Wednesday with my family doctor to see if there’s anything she can do to speed up the process. The only other option I can think of is going to the hospital and maybe things could be sped up there? I’m genuinely just so lost and I feel helpless. I don’t even know what I should be doing. If my doctor won’t take me seriously then I really don’t know what to do

Nov 16, 2020 08:47PM MelissaDallas wrote:

The ER at the hospital is not the place unless you are running fever and have an infection. They don’t do mammogram/ultrasound and would just send you back to your primary care doc

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Nov 17, 2020 11:32AM RebzAmy wrote:

In the UK, the waiting time, if cancer is suspected comes under the "two week rule." In fact when I went to my GP with the lumps, I was referred urgently and was at the hospital three days later having all kinds of scans and diagnostic tests. In the UK, for cancer, the NHS is absolutely fabulous.

NumberBlock - so sorry you are going through this worrying time. Hope you get sorted asap.

Diagnosed June 2007, IDC, Grade 3, 4-5cm lump, several lymph nodes involved, HER2+++, 4 months of high strength chemo, mastectomy and lymph node removal, radiotherapy & a year of herceptin and recently had preventative surgery to other breast.

Nov 17, 2020 12:04PM moth wrote:

Numberblock, are you in a major city? Because in Vancouver area we can have same day mammos and biopsies within days at the breast health center. Do a telehealth appt with your pcp and ask them to resend a referral labelled stat, or get them to call around the various mammo centers. There almost always is more than 1 place that does them which might have quicker appts.

Best wishes

Initial dx at 50. Seriously???? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: nevertellmetheodds2017.tumblr.... Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/11/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/13/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/12/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/17/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/25/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy External

Nov 17, 2020 05:52PM Numberblock wrote:

I live in ottawa, I have my virtual appointment with my doctor tomorrow so I'll see what happens then... I'm going to push as much as I can. If just like some peace of mind.

I called the clinic where I'm doing my scans and they basically told me there was nothing they could do for me. I asked to be on a cancellation list or to have my appointments be on different days and they said no.

Nov 17, 2020 06:02PM moth wrote:

Maybe ask for a referral to the Rose Ages Breast Health clinic https://www.ottawahospital.on.ca/en/clinical-servi...

Initial dx at 50. Seriously???? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: nevertellmetheodds2017.tumblr.... Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/11/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/13/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/12/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/17/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/25/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy External

Nov 17, 2020 06:38PM LivinLife wrote:

So sorry you are going through all of this! I appreciate Melissa picking up on you being from out of the U.S. and then moth's ideas as well.... I wish you well with your PCP appointment tomorrow. I sure hope something can happen to speed things up a bit for you!

Dx 7/2020, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 8/31/2020 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Nov 18, 2020 02:27PM Numberblock wrote:

Nothing really came out of the appointment. She decided to mark my matter as urgent on my charts and then told me to google numbers of imagining places around Ottawa. She agreed with the discolouration I’ve been seeing and told me I really need to push and advocate for myself but they won’t make an appointment for me.

I’ve spent the afternoon calling around. The clinics I have spoken to, either aren’t doing screenings right or most of the clinics are part of a group that screens women ages 50-75. Leaving all of the other clinics backed up. I feel so helpless.

Nov 18, 2020 03:49PM MinusTwo wrote:

Do you have an OB/Gyn? Maybe she or he would have more pull than a PCP.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Nov 18, 2020 06:41PM LivinLife wrote:

Understandable you feel helpless. It is such a powerless feeling - has to be exasperating. Please don't give up on this though.... I'm glad you've been doing whatever footwork you can. Hopefully there will be other steps you can take even if you're not sure what those are right now...

Nov 18, 2020 06:59PM Beesie wrote:

That's ridiculous. Marking it as "urgent" on your chart doesn't do any good if you have to phone yourself to find a place to do the imaging, and if the imaging place doesn't have your chart or a requisition showing that this is urgent.

I'm in Toronto and I've usually been able to get my screenings on the same day that my doctor gives me the requisitions, and if not, then within the next couple of days.

I agree with going through your OB/Gyn if you have one, if they are willing to help you get the appointment.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Nov 18, 2020 08:09PM Numberblock wrote:

Here’s the thing with going through my OB/Gyn.. she has a couple practices and only works at the hospital once a week. I asked my doctor to put m in contact with her back in a June for an unrelated cause and haven’t heard anything back.

I’m going to go into my doctors office tomorrow to get my new requisition and send it into the online booking request as they directed me to over the phone.

Luckily I have a mom who is a radiation therapist. I showed her my breast and explained to her how I’ve been feeling and she said she’s fairly sure it’s nothing, but she does think it’s a good idea I’m getting it checked out anyways so that gives me a bit of peace of mind before I get everything checked out thoroughly.

Nov 20, 2020 09:08AM Numberblock wrote:

I was able to get an appointment for a clinic outside of the city for next Friday.

Nov 20, 2020 11:02AM Beesie wrote:

Good! Let us know how it goes!

And good luck! Hopefully this is an infection and nothing more serious than that.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Nov 21, 2020 07:58AM LivinLife wrote:

Soooo glad you were able to get in so much sooner! Please check back in when you get results, ok?

Page 1 of 1 (18 results)