Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Really scared of inflammatory breast cancer. Delay in diagnosis.

Chqrlie1984
Chqrlie1984 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi. 3.5 weeks ago I noticed a large (2 inches x 4 inches) patch of pink skin on my left breast. it takes up about a quarter of my boob. I thought nothing of it. 2 days later it was still there so I googled and was bombarded with information about IBC.

I booked a doctors appointment for the next day and he told me he thought it was likely an infection. 7 days of penicillin later and it was completely unchanged. I went back and he said it may be IBC but he would be surprised. He referred me for an urgent appointment but covid delays mean that I'm unlikely to be seen for another couple of weeks. Everything I read talks about people starting chemo immediately so I'm terrified that this delay is going to impact my outcome.

The patch is pale pink. It seems slightly darker in the mornings. The size hasn't changed. My breast isn't swollen and it doesn't itch or hurt. But my pores are bigger on that breast. It doesn't necessarily look like peau d'orange and it feels the same as the other side. But it looks different.

As I'm unable to get a biopsy yet, does anyone think there is anything I should do in the meantime, or think there's anything other than IBC that this could be?? I stopped breastfeeding my baby 4 months ago. I'm so very scared.

Thank you.

Comments

• mamacure
    mamacure Member Posts: 256
    edited April 2021

Hi C 1984, don’t worry too much yet. Hopefully due to changes in breast feeding. Do get it checked out soon w ultrasound & they can do a quick skin biopsy too. Keep eye on it yo see if it gets any more inflamed. Hope u can get seen soon! Don’t read scary things on the internet about it too.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808
    edited April 2021

Chqrlie1984, we're sorry you are having to worry about this health concern. We echo what mamacure said. We're glad you are getting an ultrasound/biospy, but hope it's associated with hormonal changes post breast-feeding. Speaking with a dermatologist could also be a consideration as you are waiting. Perhaps they have other suggestions.

We're all here for you!

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2021

Welcome Chqlie! I was thinking what the Mods suggested - see if you can get into see a derm while you're waiting on the biopsy. Keep the derm P.A. in mind if a doc is unavailable as soon.... They can do a punch biopsy on site if they think it necessary. Hang in there the best you can.... Let us know how things go.

• Bambi1
    Bambi1 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2022

Hi,I hope you’re well. Did you ever get an answer?

• Chqrlie1984
    Chqrlie1984 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2022

Hi there.

I never got a definitive answer about what it was, but it wasn't cancerous! The ultrasound showed thickened skin and I had a biopsy taken. Then I had a letter saying it was benign, and to see a dermatologist if it didn't go away. Very slowly, it eventually disappeared!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808
    edited February 2022

Dear Chqrlie1984,

Thanks for checking back in. It is very helpful for us all to know how things resolved. Best wishes to you.

The Mods