Topic: First timer worried about next step

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried — For those who are experiencing symptoms or received concerning test results, but haven't been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Posted on: Nov 13, 2021 04:32AM - edited Nov 13, 2021 05:45PM by bbymom

Posted on: Nov 13, 2021 04:32AM - edited Nov 13, 2021 05:45PM by bbymom

bbymom wrote:

I've gone through 3 mammograms, an ultrasound, and a core needle biopsy on 2 sites in the last 4 months and am meeting with a surgeon next Thursday to discuss excision of the abnormal breast tissue. It's a lot and a bit overwhelming and I'm kicking myself for delaying the mammogram for so long.

Background: My mom had breast cancer (DCIS caught early) but my mammograms have been clear until this year (I'm 49) when 6 calcifications showed up clustered in one quadrant of my right breast. They initially recommended one biopsy but changed it to two and those were both done 4 weeks ago (6 cores each). The pathology report showed several abnormalities but no cancer, and the medical imaging report recommended a breast MRI (but said that it will be left to surgeon's discretion to obtain if it is felt to be clinically relevant) and that excision was recommended.

Is excision necessary if there is no cancer in all those samples? Would an MRI be helpful as part of the decision? If I proceed with the excision, would it be recommended to just remove the biopsied calcifications or all 6? Getting almost a whole quadrant removed seems so much! Sorry for all the questions. I think I'll proceed with it for a peace of mind and because one of the sites aches from time to time and did almost all day today, which I don't think is a good sign, but am really worried about the risks and what I will look like. I heard that invasive procedures can sometimes aggravate the cancer, if there is any.

Any insight, additional information, or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to all this and it's a bit overwhelming.

Here is the pathology report in case that helps:

Site A: 3 mm span - Focal Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia (ADH) and Flat Epithelial Atypia (FEA) with associated calcifications - Atypical Lobular Hyperplasia (ALH) involving radial scar and surrounding breast tissue - Small intraductal papilloma, completely contained in core, and background proliferative changes

Site B: 12 mm - At least Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia (ADH) with associated calcifications

Thanks so much

Log in to post a reply

Page 3 of 3 (25 results)

Log in to post a reply

Apr 21, 2022 07:28PM moth wrote:

Hi bbymom, just waving hello! i'm in coquitlam. Good luck with your rads!

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/19/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/26/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 External Hormonal Therapy 12/16/2020 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/3/2021 External Local Metastases 3/3/2021 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 1/1/2022 Trodelvy (sacituzumab govitecan-hziy) Chemotherapy 6/1/2022 Other
Log in to post a reply

Apr 21, 2022 08:03PM bbymom wrote:

Hello moth! I'm near the Coquitlam border so I can almost see you waving! :D Thanks... I'm a little nervous about the side effects but have faith that I'll recover quickly.

Log in to post a reply

Jun 9, 2022 10:52PM wisemom wrote:

hi my first time here. Four weeks I noticed a pinkish purple spot about the size of a quarter on my right breast. I have a strong history of breast cancer in my family. I don’t handle things about my health and I deal with terrible anxiety. I went to a new o gyn and she thought it was from bra but ordered a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound if needed. I had this done Monday and both were normal. I am still out of my wits because I am scared it’s ibc and that it doesn’t show up on these tests. How much should I trust these results? I felt dr wanted to get rid of me and I know I won’t be okay until I get biopsy but I was told no. Any ideas od adobe? I’m 69

Log in to post a reply

Jun 10, 2022 12:44AM bbymom wrote:

Hello wisemom and welcome to the group! I'm fairly new here so still learning but I would advise against a biopsy unless test results warrant it. I needed two and it's a pretty invasive procedure. If your doctor thought it was from a bra, perhaps wait a little to see if it gets better on its own, or get a second opinion? I know finding spots on your body is scary but hopefully this one has a happy ending and you're one of the ones spared in your family of breast cancer. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Log in to post a reply

Jun 10, 2022 02:54AM alicebastable wrote:

Wisemom, you'd do better to start your own thread in the "Not Diagnosed" forum, so you'll get more responses. It sounds like you don't have most (any?) of the IBC symptoms, one of which would usually be rapid increase in size of the discoloration. It sounds like yours has stayed stable. If it's any comfort, I've seen dozens of people on here who thought they had IBC, and the number who were actually diagnosed was like a handful. Good luck figuring out your spot.

Ignore treatment info (below) which is a BCO glitch. Do not enter personal information on this site since they grossly mishandled a data breach.

Page 3 of 3 (25 results)

Scroll to top button