Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Ultrasound Results- Worried about "indistinct margins"

Options
clark1304
clark1304 Member Posts: 10
edited May 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hello- I am a 46 year old female who went for a call back ultrasound today. I have dense breasts and have had two biopsies in the past (with clips); all previous findings have been benign. This is a new finding (my mammogram almost exactly a year ago was clear with no need for a call back). I am going back for a biopsy on May 12th. I did look back at my older biopsies to see if similar language was used in my ultrasound findings and some of it was consistent "round" or "oval" "partially circumscribed margins" "hyperechoic", etc. However, this is the first time I've seen "partially indistinct" mentioned in an ultrasound report which is making me more nervous than the previous times. Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated! My biopsy is not until May 12th which feels like an eternity away now.

Order Information

Ordering ProviderResult Date

May 5, 2022

Study Result

Narrative & Impression

Indication:

Questioned focal left asymmetry on recent screening mammogram.

TECHNIQUE:

Digital Mammography and tomosynthesis were used to obtain images. Computer Aided Detection was used to aid in interpretation. Real-time ultrasound was performed using a high-frequency linear array transducer.

COMPARISON:

Comparison is made with relevant prior imaging in PACS.

Density: The breast tissue is heterogeneously dense, which may obscure small masses

FINDINGS:

Left Breast:

An oval equal density mass with partially circumscribed and partially indistinct margins is confirmed in the upper outer breast at posterior depth.

Targeted ultrasound examination was performed. In the 2:00 position 8 cm from the nipple, there is a 0.6 x 0.5 x 0.5 cm round hypoechoic mass with partially circumscribed and partially indistinct margins. Ultrasound-guided biopsy is recommended.

IMPRESSION:

Left Breast: 0.6 cm left breast 2:00 position mass.

Left Assessment: BI-RADS 4 Suspicious Finding.

Left Recommendation: Left Ultrasound Biopsy

Left Recommendations Due Date: To Be Scheduled

Results were discussed with the patient at the time of the study. A biopsy is recommended and will be scheduled.

OVERALL Assessment: BI-RADS 4 Suspicious Finding.

The recommendation above has been entered into a reminder system to monitor and facilitate patient compliance.

Read by:

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,900
    Options

Welcome clark1304, we are sorry that you find yourself here again, looking at another biopsy. We understand how nerve wracking a situation like this can be. An appointment can seem like an eternity when dealing with such a sensitive situation. A biopsy will surely offer the information need.

We are here to support you. Please let us know if we can be of any help and keep us up to date. We hope you can distract yourself until next week.

Thinking of you, Medicating

The Mods

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    Options

clark1304,

My ultrasound also rated as birads 4, but not 4a, 4b, or 4c. After looking at yours, I think you are 4a, mine is 4b. Mine said, irregular shape, ill defined, acoustic shadowing, the similar size 5x4x5mm, it also said avascular. So I think you are low suspicious in category 4. I just did biopsy yesterday, we have a slow system, it is almost 25 days from my ultrasound day.

Wish you a benign result.

Cathy

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Biopsy of Birads 4 designation truly is kind of a confirmation that the mass is benign. Biopsy of Birads 5 designation is kind of a confirmation that the mass is cancerous. There are sub classifications in the birads 4 category, but still viewed as more likely than not benign. Hope that helps a tiny bit, but I know how our brains work. Glad the biopsy is just around the corner for you. Has your breast care team discussed a baseline MRI given your density and biopsy history? Might be a good conversation to have. Best of luck on the 12th. Let us know how it goes.

• clark1304
    Options

Thank you! ❤️

• clark1304
    Options

Thank you! I was, of course, up at 4am with my mind racing, worrying about what this could be. This is very helpful and I will definitely raise the MRI question during my next appointment. Great suggestion; particularly given my family history. Thank you again ❤️

• clark1304
    Options

Thank you, Cathy. I really appreciate your response and for taking the time to help calm my worries. I’m sorry to read about your diagnosis.

• cathy67
    Options

rah2464,

Thanks. Got birads 4 is better than 4c, at least they are not sure if it is a 4c. I got 4c last time, then biopsy confirmed it.

Fingers crossed.

• rah2464
    Options

Sorry, Cathy, my sleep deprived brain didn't see that you have ridden this merry go round before. Hope things go well and all is benign this time.

• clark1304
    Options

Thank you Cathy, Rah and the moderators (just realizing I shouldn't individually respond; it's been awhile since I've used a forum). So, the good news is, my biopsy was moved from 5/12 (Thursday) to 5/9 (Monday) at 8am because of a cancellation. Less wait time, but of course now I'm paranoid that they called me to move mine (eg. did they want to get me in sooner). The worried brain never stops! But, after reading so many threads here, I'm grateful to be given the opportunity to go in so soon after my ultrasound and not wait any longer. More knowledge is power, right? Thanks for listening and I'm doing my best to stay off of google!

• cathy67
    Options

Clark1304,

Totally understood. As you said, you've experienced twice before, won't be that hard for you, physically and mentally.

My report is supposed there next Friday, I will see doctor to read it that early morning. I guess both of us will get result around that day, pray benigh!

Cathy

• rah2464
    Options

Clark1304 - glad you got an earlier slot. And I wouldn't read a thing into it. They know how stressful this is, and offered you a cancellation spot. How wonderful and caring to do so. Hang in there and sending best wishes for benign fatty tissue!

• clark1304
    Options

Cathy- I'm hoping your results on Friday are benign! I didn't realize you were also waiting on results right now. I've really appreciated your responses here and your insights. Praying for the best.

I just got back from my appointment and I have good news. It was a cyst! The doctor said they were concerned because it had appeared solid and not fluid on the u/s and because of the irregular margins. But, they said they would first try to aspirate before moving on to the biopsy. They fairly quickly identified it as a cyst because it aspirated right away and we didn't need to move ahead with the biopsy. Even though I have had two of these biopsies in the past, this was the first time I cried tears of relief after learning the results. We lost my very young SIL to an aggressive form of leukemia not even a year ago. She was all I could think about...I didn't want to put my husband and family through something like that again so soon. And, I kept thinking about how scared she must have felt for the 22 months that she was fighting. I explained why I was so emotional to the doctor and tech. They gave me a box of tissues (and said they would have hugged me if COVID protocols allowed). I was in and out of the appointment in about 45 minutes and left with a feeling of relief and gratitude. And, I'm another example of why not googling your u/s reports is wise. You make so many "negotiations" in your mind when you go through something even as minor as what I did..."if the results are benign, I will x, y, z". I tend to always live life to the fullest for many reasons, but after leaving today I kept wishing there were a way to bottle this relief and the appreciation for life. And, on my drive home, I thought of all of you ladies who are battling cancer. I know there are many other women here who have not had the same outcome and the fact that you are willing to come on here to support and help reassure/calm fears for others like me in my situation speaks volumes. Thank you so much.

• cathy67
    Options

clark1304,

Great news!!! That is another example that irregular shape could be benign.

I hope technology can move forward to avoid uncessary worries.

Cathy

• clark1304
    Options

Thank you, Cathy! Will you updated on your results here when you receive them?

• cathy67
    Options

clark1304,

I will.

• rah2464
    Options

Clark - Great news! How wonderful

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,900
    Options

Awesome news, Clark! Thank you for posting to let everyone know.

Best wishes,

From the Mods

• oceanmd
    oceanmd Member Posts: 3
    Options

clark1304,

So happy for you for receiving good news. I can completely relate to the feeling of relief, and thank you again for supporting me on my ultrasound anxiety day.

Thank you to all the women for such a great community with wealth of information.

• cathy67
    Options

clark1304,

I got it yesterday, it is normal, so relax, but it is already one month from my biopsy order.

Enjoy everyday, and always support this form and ladies here.

Cathy